Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

What are you reading now?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 5201-5225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 22:22:36 BDT
Try 'A Strange Life' by Adrienne Nash

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 22:32:06 BDT
Only 769? What a lightweight! LOL! I don't consider it a proper holiday unless I have at least 1500 ...

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 23:20:01 BDT
carocaro says:
They were the edited version, haha help! we endured, goodnight, see you next week i'm off to photograph Snowdonia and get my own back.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 23:26:08 BDT
That's OK, then. I usually edit mine down to inflict only around 200 on my mother, so he has me beat there.

Have fun in Snowdonia!

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 20:09:23 BDT
Tracey says:
The Magic Pie Shop

Brilliant, can't recommend this book enough, also can't put it down!

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 20:19:07 BDT
Love Snowdonia. Youngest was conceived under the shadow of Snowdon

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 20:51:36 BDT
carocaro says:
Thank you Marcus fun would be nice, oh and Will thanks for putting the idea into my head. Fantasy of conception practise was such a lovely idea though highly unlikely. You know what they say though practise makes perfect. Trouble is a few things under the shadow of Snowdon that's off putting. Two inches of rain today to loosen the mud, a train load of Japanese passengers embarking off the mountain railway, who said something to my dear batty maiden aunt and the whole of trhe Japanese contingent start to follow us armed with video cams and large furry cuddly toy grey mikes. They were holding them out towards us. Walked to the car park. We had only gone to the loo as his satnav took us the scenic route. We stopped turned Japanese stopped and turned and bowed. We smiled and OH pulled my arm saying what has she done now. I don't know but she seems happy as they were beaming and nodding at each other. Got to the car and a Japanese man said something to aunt and she spoke back. 'What have you said and why are they following us?' Sez I. They want a welsh expert to talk on camera and I said you would do it. Sez aunty. They stuffed camera and mike so all I could say was. No no but they sed yes yes. 'Croeso y Cymru, Bora Da. Govithi lowa Diolch n vawr. Sez I. They man ask me what I speak. 'Welcome to Wales good day. Go and lie down (its what my Mum used to say to the dog when he was in trouble.) And thank you. They seemed happy. Aunty soaked up the praise. And we were put right off conception practise under the shadow of Snowdon, rain, Japanese and Aunty. Cheers Will. I need a book in Welsh now to find out what I did say. For all I know it may be something bad or worse. At least I said thank you.

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 21:50:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jul 2012 21:52:17 BDT
Um, Caro. My bi lingual daughter reckons you are using Gog dialect.

She only got what i did: Welcome to wales, Good Morning, ???????? and Thank you very much. Sorry, what your mum says must have been slang

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 22:07:05 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
You're reading this book now but you've already written a 5* review which states (predicts???) that it will "keep you gripped to the very end". How remarkable, as is the fact that this book garners six other 5* reviews in the space of just a few days, most by people who have not reviewed any other works.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 22:08:10 BDT
carocaro says:
Will spelling is gorwedd I lowr. I was phonetically attempting it before. It was go and lie down or go to hell. Hoped it wasn't the last one.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 22:17:58 BDT
Anita says:
Now, you should have guessed - she's reading it for the 15th time :)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 22:34:49 BDT
No wonder I was confused.

How about this?? Carmarthenshire County Council has had the gritting lorries out tonight. In midsummer.....

even more confused.

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 23:07:29 BDT
M. Dowden says:
The last time I went up Snowden it was okay at the bottom, but at the top, pouring down and thick fog..yuck. Mind you I fell in love, but she was with someone. There was a nice big round bum looking at me whilst she was bending over to pat her dog, and when she stood up and turned round, the cutest face I have seen : ) My mum says that I don't fall in love, I fall in lust...about umpteen times a day.

carocaro, I hope the weather improves, if its any consolation it is wet and windy in London, and has been all day. I had to brave the elements this morning to see my dentist, and I got quite wet.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 23:08:54 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Will, who knows what goes through the heads of local councils, I don't know, you don't, and I suspect they don't. : )

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 00:38:21 BDT
Just_me says:
Splintered by Laura J Harris

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 10:03:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jul 2012 10:04:51 BDT
Nicci says:
Im about halfway though Never the Bride by Paul Magrs but im giving up on it - its beyond rediculous and im raging with myself for wasting even this much time on it! Im going to start House at Riverton By Kate Morton now instead. Its been sitting in my "To Be Read" pile for years so i think its finally time to give it a go!

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 17:10:46 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Nicci, when Never the Bride came out in paperback it was quite a big seller in my local bookshop, everyone seemed to be reading it. I must admit I really enjoyed it and passed it on to my mum when I had finished it, and I think she passed it on to someone else. It is something just light and funny. I don't think I have read House at Riverton although I know quite a few people who enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 08:23:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jul 2012 08:24:14 BDT
I Readalot says:
M Dowden - I am actually a big fan of Paul Magrs book, read them all. As you say they are just light and funny, I have recommended them to a lot of people, particularly Jasper Fforde fans and they all appear to have enjoyed them.

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 09:47:48 BDT
Nicci says:
Hi M Dowdan & I Readalot, i guess it's just a case of "different strokes for different folks"!! Im afraid i just didnt "get" it at all. I didnt find it at all funny but clearly lots of other people do so i guess it just doesnt appeal me.
On a side note, id just like to say that i've been following this forum for a long time now and i've discovered a lot of excellent books based on recomendations by both of you so thanks for that!!! :-)

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 11:38:38 BDT
I loved Never The Bride, but as you say Nicci, each to their own. I'm reading The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness just now, it is going to be quite a quick read if I can get time to sit and read it because so far the pace has been total break-neck! I feel like I am running along with the characters, and it is very engaging.
Had to pack Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness in my heavy books case, so won't finish be able to read it again until next week. I did get a signed copy of The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde last night as I went along to his talk in Glasgow, so I may pick that up if I don't pack it first!

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 11:52:31 BDT
I just can't get along with Jasper Fforde.

I've tried two of his now, and just haven't enjoyed them at all

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 12:03:32 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I found Fforde to be a bit of a one trick pony. Found he was great fun to read at first, but by the third book I felt what had initially been an original concept was becoming tiresome and repetitive.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 12:07:41 BDT
I reckoned it was a four book idea, which has been taken a bit far, myself.

But I also found too many of the jokes a bit, well pretentious. Too much like: if you haven't read these classic books you won't understand my jokes, sort of thing.

And (grabs tin hat protectively) I don't like Jane Austen. Or the Bronte s

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 12:08:53 BDT
>>I don't like Jane Austen. Or the Bronte s<<

That's a shame, Will: they all speak very highly of you.

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 12:35:31 BDT
As they should, Marcus. I've heard them say flattering things about you, too.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  2097
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  25 Dec 2009
Latest post:  3 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 67 customers

Search Customer Discussions