Buddha of Suburbia - Kureishi
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Smith
Blood Meridian - McCarthy
Hotel New Hampshire - John Irving
Perks of Being a Wallflower - Chbosky
Fifth Business - Davies

Posted on 9 Aug 2010 00:20:28 BDT
N. Henry says:
vernon god little - dbc pierre (a kind of modern catcher in the rye)
portnoy's complaint - philip roth

Posted on 9 Aug 2010 00:53:06 BDT
D Whitehead says:
I am a 21 year old male, and recently I read Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy. They are fantastic fantasy books which focus on the life of a royal bastard/assassin. I would definately class the first book as a coming of age story and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole trilogy. If you are looking for something a bit different I would recommend buying these books: 'Assassin's Apprentice', 'Royal Assassin', 'Assassin's Quest'. (the latter two are less coming of age tales however once the first books read it's hard not to want read the other two)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2010 17:18:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Aug 2010 17:36:23 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
i'm not sure these fit the "coming of age" theme - the protagonists are already adult in the first 3 although they do in some respect learn hard lessons and become wiser people through their experiences. Forster's Room With a View and Where Angels Fear to Tread might qualify if their heroines were a bit younger.
EDIT/ADDENDUM
Lord of the Flies
High Wind in Jamaica
are perhaps good examples - great reads in any case

Posted on 9 Aug 2010 18:04:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Aug 2010 09:01:52 BDT
Jean Paul says:
In addition to what has already been mentioned, you could consider "Mrs Fisher's Tulip" by Melanie Hughes. I think it's a great first novel from a new author. There is a culture of bashing books that are "over plugged" on Amazon, which as it is supposed to be a "forum" in what is really a shop after all, is a bit strange. I have not posted anything at all since last May, so this is one last mention of a book which I love and has made me laugh and cry. Amazon, I would imagine want to sell books after all. I must say I will not be returning to these forums again as they are not really an honest forum of literary opinion but merely a platform for spite, misinformation and personal abuse and as such not a very nice place to spend time.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2010 18:14:24 BDT
Florence43 says:
now there's a controversial choice!

Posted on 12 Aug 2010 16:25:18 BDT
My YA novel,Baling, is a coming of age tale.

Two brothers. One unforgettable summer.

Nick Lawson and his brother John have been dumped for the summer with their aunt, out in the middle of the country, to bale hay.

Not his idea of a great summer.

But then, he never could have predicted the adventures, dangers, and romance that would unfold around him in the
quiet countryside.

Posted on 11 Feb 2013 19:38:28 GMT
Fly High says:
I've always thought that Michael Chabon's first effort, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh was a brilliant example of the genre. Then of course there are some wonderful COA efforts coming from nonwhite authors as well. From Colson Whitehead's Sag Harbor to Isabel Allende's City of the Beasts. These COA novels of ours don't all have to be carbon copies in color, class and comportment to Holden or Tom. Am I right?

Posted on 12 Feb 2013 00:17:10 GMT
Frank Mundo says:
Wait Until Spring, Bandini by John Fante
Inside Daisy Clover by Gavin Lambert
Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks
The Sterile Cuckoo by John Nichols

Posted on 12 Feb 2013 00:43:34 GMT
Lisa Pollard says:
A second vote for: A Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird.

A first vote I think for The Magus by John Fowles and On The Road by Kerouac, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by Jose Saramago and 100 Years of Solitude by Gabrielle Garcia Marquez - all books read in my early 20's that had a major effect on me.

(using my partners account - couldn't resist the topic!)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2013 04:44:38 GMT
M. J. Rennie says:
Try MAVO: High School in the 1960s, Freshman Year by M. J. Rennie.

Posted on 12 Feb 2013 07:06:02 GMT
I Readalot says:
Before anyone else replies to the OP it is worth noting that it was started in July 2010 and the OP bought the books for a 21st birthday present long ago and has probably forgotten all about this by now.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2013 12:09:40 GMT
John C Bird says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2013 12:48:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Feb 2013 12:49:48 GMT
I Readalot says:
You obviously haven't read a) the original post or b) my last post referring to the original post, the question posed in 2010 has long since been answered. There is also the small point of self promo only being allowed in the MOA forum, as per Amazons Important Announcement.

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 13:37:46 GMT
wordle says:
A bit unusual but funny and moving, try Sleepwalker's introduction to Flight.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2013 15:15:44 GMT
David Martin says:
I can recommend The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, a sort of modern day interpretation of Hamlet. The plot revolves around a deaf, mute boy whose family raises very special dogs. When his father dies, the boy suspects his uncle of murdering his father in order to get close to his mother. Very dramatic ending and you fall in love with the dogs.

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 21:46:31 GMT
The Perks of Being A Wallflower.

Posted on 15 Feb 2013 08:24:54 GMT
I Readalot says:
I surrender. It is quite obvious that people are not going to get the message that this thread is obsolete.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2013 19:20:24 GMT
The Bildensroman novels by Hermann Hesse and Goethe spring to mind. I recommend 'Demian' by Hesse. Wonderful stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2013 19:45:52 GMT
Crossbow Illustrated, by Robert Burwell and Andrea Cau

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2013 07:13:57 GMT
N. Spriggs says:
What are the terms of your surrender? Is it unconditional - as in you agree to read all the novels plugged by authors in this thread? Or are there conditions such as you will only read novels plugged by authors in this thread that are actually coming of age novels?

Posted on 20 Feb 2013 22:26:21 GMT
ana says:
Vernon God Little

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 11:23:33 BDT
R. Billings says:
The Hiding Place Girl

The Hiding Place Girl is a coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s and 1970s. Kirkus Reviews says ""...recalling Jeffrey Eugenides' novel The Virgin Suicides, Martin's novel ably captures the suburban landscape and the emotional struggle that lies beneath it...Martin's stunning prose is packed with imagery and metaphor and skillfully studies the era's burgeoning social and sexual revolutions."

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 20:08:26 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 17 Apr 2013 14:19:47 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 21:17:08 BDT
I Readalot says:
Did you actually read the initial post, notice the date it was started? The books have been chosen, bought and read by now.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  28 Jul 2010
Latest post:  18 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions