Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Recommend a good ghost story here ...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 61 posts in this discussion
Posted on 11 May 2011 23:49:13 BDT
There's always The Woman In Black by Susan Hill; a loving tribute to the great, traditional style of ghost story-telling.

Posted on 12 May 2011 00:10:52 BDT
Tori says:
The Dream House Visions and Nightmares. Nightmares, Dream Interpretation and ghosts, oh my!
The Dream House - Visions and Nightmares

Posted on 12 May 2011 07:28:50 BDT
Concur re The Devil Rides Out (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural) - read it when I was about 16 and found it very hard to sleep for weeks afterwards!

BTW, there was a "Ghost" thread a while back where everyone told their own ghost stories (true where poss) and then voted all the posts down so that when you opened it, there were just a load o entries where posts had been. Kept me amused for days, that one - have a look if you're interested.
JAC
My book is not about ghosts.

Posted on 12 May 2011 07:57:46 BDT
Hi Monica - I've not read The Ceremonies (seems to be out of print) but I have read Dark Gods by T.E.D. Klein, which is four novellas. The first was amazing, and the rest just very, very good. I've not heard of your other two suggestions, but as you seem to have similar taste to me in this area, I'll be sure to check them out...

James
The Other Room

Posted on 12 May 2011 10:38:40 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hi BKC,
Thanks so much for the invitation to tell you about our books ;-)
My second is supernatural horror thriller and has been doing quite well in the Kindle charts.
It's currently:

#1 in Books > Fiction > Horror > Ghosts
#3 in Books > Fiction > Horror > Thrillers
#3 in Books > Fiction > Horror > Occult

Here are some quotes from two of the recent ✭✭✭✭✭ reviews:

Darkiss writes: "THE BEST HORROR I HAVE READ IN YEARS"
"I will tell you right from the start that this is one of the finest horror novels I have ever read... Even hours after putting down my Kindle I found this story playing on my mind.
The villain in Abiding Evil is one that will give any parent nightmares for years to come and is as memorable as all the great monsters of modern horror...
The quality of writing within this book is as good as it gets....I could find nothing lacking in this book... I don't think I can recommend this book enough. If you enjoy horror with a real fear-provoking storyline then read Abiding Evil and then recommend it to all your friends."

Jon Rosenberg writes: "THE EXQUISITE PAIN OF WIDE EYED HORROR"
"That is what went through my mind as I finished Alison Buck's Abiding Evil, it is one seriously creepy book.
There are novels which have the power to grip you from their very first sentence, this is one of them. Ms Buck's writing is superbly balanced, vivid description and tense dialogue, give way to moments of blood soaked action and shattering emotions.....It's makes for a compelling and memorable read.
.... This is superb horror, wonderfully written."

Do hope you check it out and enjoy the read ;-)

Alison Buck
Abiding Evil
Devoted Sisters
Both titles available on Kindle (1.55),
Kobo and in paperback.

Posted on 12 May 2011 11:57:25 BDT
Hi,
Greyhart Press is a new Indie Publisher or short stories, novelettes and novellas (started last month). We've a ghostly short story called 'Necroforms' by an author called Paul Melhuish. I hope you enjoy it.

Necroforms (A horror short story from Greyhart Press)
Tim

Posted on 13 May 2011 11:13:07 BDT
Thanks Peeps. I've placed your recommendations on my wish list for now and will get round to reading them in due course. Any more recommendations would be much appreciated too ... so keep 'em coming.

Oh! J A Clement. I found the Ghost Thread. What a treat that was. Thanks!

Posted on 13 May 2011 14:22:45 BDT
So much fun - but of course because all the previous posts were "disappeared" newbies would get highly indignant as they'd just posted something relevant and got four negs for it. We had to tell them that that was the point....!
JAC

Posted on 13 May 2011 14:46:21 BDT
You rotten teasers ... LOL!

Posted on 13 May 2011 14:53:33 BDT
no, t'wasn't us - the ghosts in the machine, you know....
heheheh

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2011 20:26:34 BDT
Florence and Giles is a riff on Henry James's The Turn of the Screw and just as scary.

Check the press reviews:

`John Harding's Florence and Giles is an elegant literary exercise worked out with the strictness of a fugue; imagine Henry James's The Turn of the Screw rewritten by Edgar Allan Poe. Plotted to the last detail, it is punctuated with an ominous image of flawed innocence: a black rook on white snow. Nothing prepares you for the chillingly ruthless but - in retrospect - inevitable finale.'
The Times

`It is a brave writer who will take on Henry James, but John Harding's publishers trumpet his debt to The Turn of the Screw. Fortunately, however, Harding rings enough ingenious changes on James's study of perversity to produce his own full-blown Gothic horror tale. Florence's often very personal narrative powerfully and convincingly conveys the vulnerability of children faced with terror.'
The Independent

`Nodding to Henry James's The Turn of the Screw, John Harding's fourth novel is a tight gothic thriller about governesses and their frightened charges. The climax becomes unbearably tense. Florence (the 12-year-old heroine and narrator) feels the horror of her situation "cheese-grating" her soul, which is just how Harding leaves the reader feeling at the end of this creepily suggestive story.'
Financial Times

Posted on 9 Jun 2011 08:49:59 BDT
Have purchased Florence & Giles - the reviews are impressive and I love Turn Of The Screw, so at 99p was an obvious buy for me...!

James
The Other Room

Posted on 9 Jun 2011 10:24:26 BDT
Remote Control by John McKenzie is a political thriller about a dope dealer and an assassination, but it has a ghost as one of the main characters.

Posted on 9 Jun 2011 10:28:59 BDT
Chris says:
Joe Hill's Twentieth Century Ghosts. It isn't really a ghost story so much as a collection of bizarre shorts. Great though. Richard Mattheson's Hell House seems to divide people, and annoy Shirley Jackson fans, but I think it's a terrific book, and in some ways superior to The Haunting of Hill House.
William Hope Hodgson wrote some very good old school ghost stories in his Carnacki series. Stephen King's 1408 is my favourite creepy short of all - it has a very Hope Hodgson feel about it.
The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman has hints of the supernatural in it, but is mostly about the secret and sinister underbelly of a small country town. A slow burner that requires patience, but very solid and readable.

Posted on 9 Jun 2011 12:17:23 BDT
I'm enjoying 'The sectret of Crickley hall' by James Herbert. 2006. It's a large paperback, over 600 pages, but I can't take my head out of it

Posted on 9 Jun 2011 12:27:27 BDT
Chris - not read Hell House, why does it annoy Jackson fans?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2011 12:39:47 BDT
Chris says:
It's very obviously a reworking of Jackson's classic. it's basically what The Haunting of Hill House might be like if it were less subtle and psychological and more 'in your face'. I'm a fan of both, but what I like about Matheson's is that he sticks his neck out and has stuff happen. I think a lot of writer's of supernatural err on the side of caution in an effort to avoid drifting into the absurd. Matheson pushes the boat out, and I believe he succeeds, though I've heard people scoff so I guess it doesn't work for everyone.

Posted on 9 Jun 2011 14:25:23 BDT
Interesting... I've read a couple of Matheson's books and liked them, but I love Hill House, so it could go either way with me...! Last time I checked, Hell House was ridiculously expensive though.

Thanks
James
The Other Room

Posted on 25 Jun 2011 16:51:56 BDT
Probably not quite as horrifying as what you're looking for, by I've written a ghost romance, Eternally Yours, available on Kindle at 2.08. Quick description:

Artist Lara Peale plans to make big changes to her Victorian home to exorcise reminders of her former marriage -- but first she needs approval from the local historical society. The historian they send over, author Mark Vereker, has spent years trying to conserve old buildings and vows to prevent her from "ruining" her home. Meanwhile, late poet and womanizer Geoffrey Vereker (an ancestor of Mark's) watches them from beyond. What starts as voyeurism gives him insight into his cursed existence, but can he find redemption for his past?

The first couple chapters are posted on my blog here: http://www.jenmalin.com/eternally-yours

Thank you for indulging me!
Jen

Posted on 25 Jun 2011 17:16:34 BDT
S. Sannerude says:
The White Room

A supernatural ghostly mystery more than a thriller but it might float your boat and it's a really quick read being a short story.

Posted on 25 Jun 2011 22:12:34 BDT
Sounds interesting "S" thanks. I like the title! Title's with rooms in are good...

James
The Other Room

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2011 23:13:01 BDT
S. Sannerude says:
Ha! Indeed titles with rooms in them are definitely all good :)

Posted on 29 Jun 2011 06:32:43 BDT
S Riaz says:
A Jealous Ghost is a modern take on The Turn of the Screw which I really enjoyed. I also liked The House of Lost Souls, although I found it more interesting than scary.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2011 09:25:22 BDT
Tony Talbot says:
Hi,

I just posted a ghost story set in Antarctica for Kindle - don't think anyone has ever done one before. It's a short story.

Polar Crossing

Posted on 29 Jun 2011 11:04:09 BDT
Ann M says:
Ghost Stories of M R James (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural) or anything else by M R James.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon.UK
415 20 May 2014
What is the saddest book you have ever read? 891 2 hours ago
Looking for a book - May have rock & roll in the title 1 9 hours ago
Come on - why don't we write our own book right here in the fiction forum ? I'll do the first sentence, and then jump in....hold on, here we go... 8893 11 hours ago
Self-published books: pain or gain? 9815 4 days ago
What are you reading now, list and chat 347 6 days ago
What are you reading now? Continues here... 166 8 days ago
Reviews- How many stars make a troll? 14 8 days ago
Kids books that are arguably wasted on their intended audience. 23 8 days ago
Hitler - Fiction books 2 9 days ago
Georgette Heyer Alternatives 67 11 days ago
Come on - why don't we write our own book right here in the fiction forum ? The sequel. 122 11 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  9 May 2011
Latest post:  19 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions