Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Sea Stories

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-48 of 48 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 13:17:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Apr 2012 13:18:48 BDT
monica says:
Thanks, Anita. Actually, it's about a suave goblin who just loves shopping and who ends up as a spy in the highest political circle in Latvia before averting, with the help of an albino mermaid, an invasion from outer space. Available on kindle now--sure to be sold out soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 13:22:11 BDT
Anita says:
Monica, I know what's it about, I did read it before posting that five-star review

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 13:26:49 BDT
Welcome, LEP.. The one I mentioned at the top of the thread by Nichols is a truly great piece of writing about small boat ownership and sailing. Sea Change.

Voyage for Madmen sent me out buying other books he'd mentioned too. Robin Knox Johnson for one.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 13:41:59 BDT
monica says:
Yeah, about your glowing review . . . . er, a bit strapped for cash at the mo, but I'll pay you every penny I promised to as soon as things improve here. Unless you'd like extra copies of my book to give to friends & relatives in lieu of cash--?

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 13:45:12 BDT
Fee fee says:
How about The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Man Against the Sea

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 14:00:27 BDT
Anita says:
Let me think... Erm... perhaps I'd like a review or two of yours in the nearest future instead - ?..

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 20:34:32 BDT
monica says:
Anita, I'd be too embarrassed to thus publicly admit to reading such stuff. It's all highly imaginative writing, but it's still utter filth.

Back to a serious suggestion: There was a thread that contained some recommendations for sea-faring books recently on the kindle forum. Go to the list of threads there, enter 'survival against nature' in search box, and you'll come upon it.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 00:22:57 BDT
Anita says:
Monica: aha, so you did like my book!

Yep, more seriously: I really fail to understand, what is that the OP wants. Is that something about sailing boats as such, or some robinsoncrusoesque experiences, or just some sea-based novels, or something yet else? Maybe this one fits the bill?? Life of Pi

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 04:52:50 BDT
Anita says:
In case any shared interest, maybe worth having a look there?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/action/ref=cm_cd_ttp_emf_rft_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3OIKTFKQSAUQJ&cdThread=Tx16WPXT7M17NF

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 07:40:06 BDT
There's a couple that spring to mind: 'Voyage of The Narwhal' by Andrea Barrett which is fiction based around an Arctic voyage and set during the 19th Century (I think Barrett has written a couple of others set on ships as well, but I haven't read them yet).

Another one is 'Survive The Savage Sea' by Dougal Robertson which is a true story of survival at sea after a families boat was sank by killer whales.

Hope this helps :)

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 08:02:48 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Some of Joseph Conrad's work has a lot of maritime background; hardly surprising as he spent many years as a sailor until gaining recognition as an author.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 08:56:55 BDT
Chris,
May I suggest 'Ice King' - a sea story coupled with business. No ship to ship action, but it is about sailing ships. The story is set between 1804 to 1807.

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 13:38:40 BDT
Chris says:
Obviously I've given people the impression that I have a romantic view of a sailor's life, and believe life at sea is a stroll in the park. Not so. I'm just not into military stuff, but that doesn't mean I have a rose-tinted view of life at sea. Aren't we all guilty of enjoying reading about the harsh realities of life while sat in front of a fire with a bowl of nibbles? I find sailing ships more interesting than ones with engines, and that's all.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 15:15:53 BDT
Chris, I recall Richard Bach once writing that adventures are really reading about someone else having one hell of a hard time a thousand miles away. Seems about right.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 19:24:08 BDT
LEP says:
No you didn't give me that impression Chris. I obviously used the wrong word in "romantic". As I said sailing ships are far more interesting that those with engines (which tend to make me sick, whilst sailing yachts don't unless we unfortunately manage to hire one with fuel leak as we did once and I was "as sick as a dog", however sick that may be LOL).

Posted on 6 May 2012 17:28:50 BDT
Why has nobody yet mentioned "Moby Dick" - a true seafaring classic.
Your reply to Mr. S. H. C. Bancroft's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 6 May 2012 17:31:24 BDT
.........and "Mutiny on the Bounty".

Posted on 6 May 2012 20:04:58 BDT
And of course, 'Sailing alone around the world' by Joshua Slocum

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 12:05:45 BDT
WrittenWord7 says:
If you want a bit of humour and fun, try The Lost 'Sole' - a short story of a shoe swept away to sea and the adventures that follow.

Posted on 7 May 2012 13:26:51 BDT
BenPortus says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 10 May 2012 10:26:42 BDT
Tonkalou says:
The Tide Will Turn

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 10:38:56 BDT
Andrew says:
Nicholas Monssarat

The Cruel Sea
HMS Marlbourough Will Enter Harbour
The 'Master Mariner' Trillogy

Posted on 25 May 2012 23:15:58 BDT
Gaboora says:
Try almost anything by Joseph Conrad
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  27 Apr 2012
Latest post:  25 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions