fair enough...

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 14:11:34 BDT
R. Winters says:
Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 11:53:59 BDT
ajk77 says:
Mervyn Peake: the Gormenghast trilogy

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 22:39:38 BDT
Sorry just never get to grips with The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant but love to bits Mordant's need by Stephen Donaldson

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 09:31:36 BDT
DaveOz says:
Some great recommendations here. I've added a few of them to my list. Cheers!

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 20:02:44 BDT
Tu Fu says:
The only fantasy novels I have ever been able to read with a straight face are the "Dying Earth" and "Lyonesse" series by Jack Vance. Vance has an inimitable, wry style and humour - try "Cugel's Saga" first.

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 20:40:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2012 20:46:59 BDT
DaveOz says:
@ Tu Fu - Hello! Are you referring to 'The Tales of Dying Earth' or just 'Dying Earth'? Are they the same book or is the latter a collection of short stories set in the same universe? I've checked using the search function but I'm none the wiser.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 00:14:53 BDT
Lois McMaster Bujold- The Curse of Chalion is a very engaging read. The main protagonist, is a soldier, a man betrayed, scarred physically, mentally and emotionally but the author does a brilliant job of creating that factor that makes the reader root for him.

Would also agree with early Feist (starting magician through the empire series) and David Gemmell - the man wrote anything from troy through post apocolytic western to arthurian legend so a wide choice with my favourites being the Sipstrassi stones of power / Jon Shannow, Druss and Waylander.

Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon cycle is also worth a look

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss was brilliant- have just bought The Wise Man's Fear

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 15:57:26 BDT
A. White says:
Gormenghast?! Good luck with that! I made it through the first two books, but the final one is nearly impossible. Mervyn Peake had Parkinsons, and it's very obvious by the final book - nearly unreadable, I'm sorry to say.

My favourite fantasy author is Tolkien - if you managed LOTR, try the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion. The Sil is tough going, but worth it. I also suggest Children of Hurin, and (if you can get them) his series of shorter stories like Farmer Giles of Ham.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 18:26:50 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I struggled a bit with Titus Alone, but the first two books were brilliant. I think a key point about Peake and Tolkein is that they were both true originals and both extremely gifted writers. Not wholly comfortable with them being pidgeon-holed into the genre of fantasy; one that has become just a tad debased by countless derivative novels, few of which have matched the literacy and extraordinary imagination of M.P. and J.R.R.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 19:24:36 BDT
Hi,

Try this!!!! Its is still free on Kindle if that is what your using... I loved it.... have read it twice already...

Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 19:58:23 BDT
Tony Dash says:
A good comic historical fantasy is the "Saga of Dane & Astrid" trilogy by Magnus Bledwell. It's a humorous take on Norse mythology with all its gods and monsters. The books are titled "Eye of Odin," "Serpent's Curse" and "Valkyrie's Quest."

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 20:43:21 BDT
My father absolutely despised the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant. I myself haven't read it so I have yet to have an unbiased opinion on it. I have bought the Gormengast trilogy and began it but struggled. I must return to 'A Song of Ice and Fire' first...
sooo addictive...

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 16:41:18 BDT
Boo Car says:
As I've just gushed about elsewhere, BJ Burton's Dartmoor...The Saving is awesome. A real surprise and very accessible as I'm not generally into fantasy.

Dartmoor...The Saving

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 22:29:09 BDT
Garscadden says:
As pointed out elsewhere you have a very similar name to the author - John Burton

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 22:43:42 BDT
Boo Car says:
I'm clearly missing something here and have deeply offended you by liking a book by an author who shares my very common surname.

Yes, as I replied elsewhere, the author's name is what attracted me to the book. We have a very common surname. If you'd not noticed, every high street in the country has a shop bearing my name. Or perhaps that's some sort of conspiracy?

They are great books. We have the same surname. If you want to try something new, I recommend them. If you want to think everyone called Burton is the same person, that's entirely up to you.

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 15:29:51 BDT
SweetyPie says:
SweetyPie says:

Scared!
Hi Andrea,
Perhaps Scared! by Alan Perks might be of interest?

Try this link
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SMH23G#_

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 20:02:00 BDT
I second the Jim Butcher nomination..he is one of my favorite authors at the moment.
Another of my favorite authors is R A Salvatore.
Sandersons Mistborn series (and anything else he has written)...
I would recommend Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword trilogy.
Anything by David Gemmell. The Belgariad by David Eddings, The Elfstones of Shannarra by Terry Brooks.
Harry Connollys 20 Palace Books.
Patricia Briggs, Kelly Armstrong, Kim Harrison....
The Jane Yellowrock novels by Faith Hunter....
I could go on and on.....

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012 21:07:13 BDT
A fan of my book got flamed on the .com forums for mentioning it so BooCar, if you're not the author, you have my sympathies.

Sadly most of the reviews there are from people who haven't reviewed much else, which doesn't help however the sample looks professional, well written, well presented, edited properly etc. So I'm really hoping you are not the author because for what it's worth, the book looks interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012 07:57:28 BDT
K. Cooper says:
Try the Wheel of Time books, superb series. Also the Farseer books (Robin Hobb).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  3 Apr 2012
Latest post:  27 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions