Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

What are you reading now?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4951-4975 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 08:10:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2012 08:37:27 BDT
carocaro says:
Hi M.Dowden, the first and second definition's you give have been used by kids round here but as they use opposites like bad and wicked meaning good. For those of us old enough to be out of nappies (unless they are really weird kinks (sick control)) a stonker and stonking good are both brilliant and probably enjoyed by both sexes too!
Oh I have some poetry books, some nice like Frank
Mundo'sThe Brubury Tales
And others genre specific for me;-)
The King (A Poem of Escape from Tyranny) for example. Did you know there are hundreds of books on kindle on erotic poetry...not conducive to a good night's sleep ;0)

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 11:27:28 BDT
I attempted to read The Marriage Plot by Eugenides yesterday, which is my bookgroup's next choice, but after about 40 pages I was thoroughly bored. I just do not enjoy American literary novels - Auster, Hustvedt and Tartt have all been a real struggle to finish and if I read them now, I would not have finished them as I have realised life is too short.
So I have picked up The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which I thought I would read in one sitting yesterday but I ended up watching the Euro final instead. Oops.

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 12:05:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2012 12:09:19 BDT
Raven says:
I am halfway through the marvellous The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Quirky and very reminiscent of Beyond The Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjornsen which is one of my favourite books of all time. Plodding my way through Barbara Nadel's newest, a stand alone called A Private Business: A Hakim and Arnold Mystery (Hakim & Arnold Mystery)- a hundred pages in and struggling with the clunky dialogue and cliched characters- will probably give up entirely soon which is a shame as I enjoyed her Inspector Ikmen series. Will probably move onto The Cutting Season by Attica Locke, author of the brilliant Black Water Rising and have just got my mitts on The Twelve the follow up to The Passage by Justin Cronin. V.excited!

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 12:36:35 BDT
M. Dowden says:
carocaro, I may get that second poetry book you mentioned, I was just looking at it. I have got a couple of kindle erotic poetry books that I downloaded, I haven't read one of them, but the one I did, which I forget the title of, was just bad. The author had gone for all sophisticated and allegorical, but they just couldn't pull it off.

Karen, we have just read Hustveldt's What I Loved in my local book group. The characters were hollow to a degree, like automata as one woman said. They just had a very limited set of emotions which didn't really fit in with the story, they were just cut-out people.

Raven I am going to read The Hundred Year Old Man when I have finished the book I have on the go at the moment.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 14:07:10 BDT
C. Rees says:
Hi Karen, although this is aimed at the 'younger' person, it is still a creepy story and you will really enjoy it. It was one of the first written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and sets the tone and pace for his later stuff. I loved it and was sorry when it ended. Last night I finished The Angel Game which was has an amazing ending a real climax. It's still going round in my head today. Happy reading. Colin

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 14:15:34 BDT
MissT says:
i know everyone is going on about it but 50 shades darker.... honestly can't put it down!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 14:16:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2012 14:17:03 BDT
I really hated What I Loved - the characters were all awful, and I am not into art and artistic temperament. Automata sounds like a great description!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 14:19:27 BDT
Hi, I read a lot of YA fiction anyway, and Shadow of the Wind is one of my favourite books so I am pretty sure I am going to enjoy it. As for Angel's Game, I bought another copy of it 2nd hand on Saturday because I gave my paernts my hardback a few years ago and I want to reread it, I was a little disappointed first time round but I want to see how I feel about it once I read The Prisoner of Heaven.

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 17:02:08 BDT
S Young says:
THE DECALOGUE - new UK crime fiction, by Mark Pettinger

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 08:43:25 BDT
I Readalot says:
Hi Karen, hope you enjoy Angel's Game more second time around. It is really a book about the writing process and about selling the soul to get rich (pretty apt in this day and age), as well, of course, of how great stories well told can effect the reader and even persuade them to believe in something that is completely fabricated. There is a lot I didn't pick up on first time round as I was more absorbed in the actually story but I found that it definitely benefited from a second read.

At the moment I am reading the second Lars Kepler crime thriller (in proof), plenty of twists and changes of direction.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 11:33:04 BDT
Good, I am lookimg forward to reading it again. The Prince of Mist is pretty creepy, not quite half way through but I am already a bit freaked out by the clown! Lots of kids have nightmares about clowns, and apparently when I was very small I had a nightmare about a clown locking my dad in a box. Turns out what I thought was a clown was a skeleton!!

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 13:25:14 BDT
I Readalot says:
I know what you mean about The Prince of Mist, it isn't just the story with Zafon but the atmospheric way that he tells it. I can't believe that it has taken so long for his YA books to be published in English. The 3rd one Watcher in the Shadows was originally going to be published this year but has been put back to 2013.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 13:38:15 BDT
Fosbic says:
The Harbour by Francesca BrillThe Harbour

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 16:30:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 16:32:22 BDT
I noticed that, why do they keep delaying the books I want to read?? Did you see that Amazon does not have any stock of the new Dahlquist one? It is due out tomorrow and it now says that they do not know if they will be getting any in. And the kindle version is 11.99! I think I will save my pennies for now.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 18:31:23 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Currently reading The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, and am so far loving it. A man on his 100th birthday legs it from an old peoples home, then steals a suitcase. He has the police and criminals looking for him, whilst he makes friends and starts out on a Swedish road trip. The story is also interspersed with the history of the man.

Well, it was poetry evening yesterday down my local bookshop. I had a good time although I was trying to keep a straight face, thanks to my mum. When she found out that I was going to a poetry event she said I needed a black beret and was reminding me of that film 'A Bucket of Blood'. I have spoken to her about what it was like, but because I told her the poems didn't rhyme she doesn't believe it is poetry. After all her favourite poem is 'The Owl and the Pussycat'. : )

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 18:41:43 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Karen, I don't know if I have just looked at the book you mean, according to the blurb it comes out on Friday. Amazon claim to have 3 treebooks in stock, with more on its way (but I have no idea when). Don't know if that is of any help. If you're not in a rush, wait until it comes out in paperback, when the treebook and kindle prices will drop. : )

I know what you mean though. I saw a book advertised in the back of another book last night. I thought I would check it out here. There is no kindle version, and they reckon it will take about a month if I order the treebook version. I may email the publisher and a bookshop I know, to see if they can get me a copy much quicker than that. Its only a paperback and there isn't that big a saving buying it on here rather than from elsewhere, only about 80p.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 19:13:11 BDT
Simon says:
The Fire of Babylon (Solstice12)

Amazing book - and a real bargain. I recommend it to anyone who likes thrillers, action, sci fi or clever innovative fiction. Looking forward to the sequel.
Si

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 19:20:19 BDT
Thanks! I just had a look at the listing in my wish list and although it said it was not going to be in stock, if you clicked on the hardback link again then it says it is in stock, so they must have changed the listing.

Still too expensive!!!

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 19:36:09 BDT
Anita says:
Hmmmm... my bad suspicious self awake and sniffing around :)

The book Si mentions - and plugs in 4 threads - has 4 reviews, and NO reviewer of those 4 have reviewed a book in their lifes before! What a wonderful book it must be to make FOUR *unrelated* people start reading and reviewing!

Any votes for spam?

For experiment's sake I'll try spamming the same threads with this very same reply :)

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 20:07:25 BDT
carocaro says:
Just watched BBC where they were on about fifty shades of grey...20,000 books an hour being published, well cane me!

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 20:10:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 20:11:47 BDT
I am just a couple of pages away from finishing City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare and I must say these books have grown on me and I have the clockwork prince still to read of her other series the infernal devices which is set in the 18c victorian london, they are amazing. Before this though I am going ot begin The Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz, starting with The Prodigal Son, whilst I'm on holidays. My friend has my copy of fifty shades of grey which i am eager to read but didn't think i would finish these books as quick as i have but on a lighter note getting the fifty shades of grey birthday cake for my birthday, its amazing. lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 20:17:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 20:23:52 BDT
carocaro says:
Hi Miss G A Tolmie...looks like the world is going BDSM mad. Very strange. Hope you enjoy it. It has a love hate reaction with most people.
Enjoying your break...won't say summer. Unless you are going away. My son is touring Hungary Croatia and Italy with unbearable temps from night 33C to 42C day times. I assured him it's 17-19 at best here and
still raining ha!
For a change I'm going against the grain and reading MT McGuires
Few Are Chosen (The K'Barthan Trilogy)
Am almost halfway through and impressed with the imaginary world, politics, religion, police etc that she has created. doing me good to read something from the fantasy adventure genre for a change.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 21:51:39 BDT
I am just in inverness-shire, so its 23 degrees tops here. had rain today but at least it meant i could finish my book off. I just like the covers of the books, lol. really want to see what all the hype is about, hahaha.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 22:29:51 BDT
carocaro says:
Negatives, repetitive but it's on purpose I think to arouse and reaffirm rules. Such hot weather...I'm envious. Such a beautiful area too. Mind I love Rosemarkie and where I can see the dolphins and otters.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 22:34:15 BDT
The Waves by Virginia Woolf, hot on the heels of Orlando, Mrs. Dalloway and To the Lighthouse.
How could I forget how great a writer she is!
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon.UK
415 20 May 2014
Come on - why don't we write our own book right here in the fiction forum ? I'll do the first sentence, and then jump in....hold on, here we go... 8876 4 hours ago
Kids books that are arguably wasted on their intended audience. 23 5 hours ago
What is the saddest book you have ever read? 886 5 hours ago
Hitler - Fiction books 2 10 hours ago
What are you reading now? Continues here... 165 11 hours ago
Looking for a book - May have rock & roll in the title 0 2 days ago
Georgette Heyer Alternatives 67 2 days ago
Come on - why don't we write our own book right here in the fiction forum ? The sequel. 122 2 days ago
Book set in a village in South Wales - help! 2 5 days ago
What are you reading now, list and chat 345 5 days ago
Graveyard Queen 4 5 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  2097
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  25 Dec 2009
Latest post:  3 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 67 customers

Search Customer Discussions