Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

What are you reading now?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4701-4725 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 24 May 2012 11:38:24 BDT
Jay Kahy says:
Ethan Frome.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 18:48:34 BDT
carocaro says:
Speak for yourself Ireadalot mine are good tonight...frittered out a tin
:)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 19:17:34 BDT
I Readalot says:
OK, maybe I should have added, unless it comes in a tin!

Posted on 24 May 2012 20:16:54 BDT
bookworm says:
Welcome to Setcopia by James Ashton - the new Orwell!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:44:07 BDT
carocaro says:
:) You might be tempted to throw a tin!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 06:22:49 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Might the high opinion of this obscure work arise from the poster and the author sharing the same surname?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 08:19:19 BDT
I Readalot says:
Now that is a distTINct possibility.

@ Sou'Wester - Hm you might have something there.

Posted on 25 May 2012 12:29:40 BDT
M. Dowden says:
carocaro, yuck to Spam fritters, just too greasy for me nowadays. What book is everyone talking about? Welcome to Setcopia? Must admit that I looked at the blurb for this, I didn't notice if there are any reviews for it. When an author puts down about how it is a much needed update on 1984 and Brave New World you just know that they have ideas above their station. Modesty in all things, please. : ) I saw a book the other day which was an update of Romeo and Juliet, apparently in today's language. I can quite understand the original, and I must admit that the sample for this new version was appalling.

DG_O, haven't read Ethan Frome in years, a really great tale if I remember rightly. Currently re-reading Beau Geste. My old paperback gave up the ghost some time ago and I emailed the publishers at the time to see if they were going to reprint it, they were so ignorant that they never got back to me. Anyway found a version for my kindle.

That really annoys me, you email some publishers and they get back to you more or less right away with an answer, whereas others never bother to reply.

Posted on 25 May 2012 12:35:34 BDT
Jay Kahy says:
@ M. Dowden - Edith Wharton is fast becoming my favourite author.

Posted on 25 May 2012 12:39:15 BDT
M. Dowden says:
DG_O, don't blame you, personally I think she is the greatest American female author ever. She is on my list of famous people to meet if there is some sort of afterlife. : )

Posted on 25 May 2012 12:43:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2012 12:47:16 BDT
Jay Kahy says:
What talent she had! The ability to conjure up detailed and definite images with such precision in the readers mind through her use of language was simply first class. + 1 for that afterlife sentiment. If we get desperate we could get a Ouija board if you're interested, lol.

Posted on 25 May 2012 12:44:40 BDT
M. Dowden says:
lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 14:55:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2012 14:56:10 BDT
I have forced myself to read 1 1/2 chapters, and I am already annoyed with the main character - her inner monologue and her 'holy crap's are just doing my head in. I am not sure that I can read any further if this is all she has to say for herself.

Posted on 25 May 2012 16:12:52 BDT
carocaro says:
Hi M Dowden. I agree re spam. Just arrived Beaumaris. Amused me to see you mention Beau Geste. A 10 day read by. The sea delight. Was it foreign legion if I recall. Well its Welsh Legion here. My Cherise Sinclair. Master of the Shadowlands to indulge in. Speak soon enjoy the weather. Oh I'm editing a delightful teens andYA book. Magical story.

Posted on 25 May 2012 16:12:58 BDT
carocaro says:
Hi M Dowden. I agree re spam. Just arrived Beaumaris. Amused me to see you mention Beau Geste. A 10 day read by. The sea delight. Was it foreign legion if I recall. Well its Welsh Legion here. My Cherise Sinclair. Master of the Shadowlands to indulge in. Speak soon enjoy the weather. Oh I'm editing a delightful teens andYA book. Magical story.

Posted on 25 May 2012 16:13:26 BDT
carocaro says:

Posted on 25 May 2012 16:45:43 BDT
M. Dowden says:
carocaro, hope you have a lovely time. Yes, the book does involve the Foreign Legion.

Posted on 26 May 2012 09:48:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2012 09:50:11 BDT
Rusty Dee says:
About to start Wine of Angels, The (Merrily Watkins 1) be the first I've read by Phil Rickman :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 13:03:54 BDT
Now reading Patrick Gale's 'Friendly Fire' having finished his 'The whole day through' a couple of days ago... not as absorbing/engrossing as his latest. Am enjoying the present read.

Posted on 27 May 2012 22:12:29 BDT
monica says:
Have been going through books that don't demand continual attention--photography & design books, mostly--given that I'm often doing so during the Giro & now Roland Garros, but am re-reading a work of fiction that can be read in bits and that I'd recommend: An A-Z of Possible Worlds (Boxed Set) (and, despite one of the reviews, it's not remotely like House of Leaves). Great fun and lovely format.

Posted on 30 May 2012 10:51:43 BDT
I could not go back to Fifty Shades of Grey, so I am now reading A Company of Liars by Karen Maitland on my Kindle, and Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris to stop me from buying her new one just yet! I really like her writing style, and she is a master of intrigue. The Maitland is not bad either, not far thorugh yet but I think I will be finishing it. The 1300s sound horrible though, the descriptive section about the plague yesterday fair put me off my lunch!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 11:25:22 BDT
carocaro says:
I have the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy but not read them yet Karen. May I ask is it Dom\sub content you don't like or something else?

At present am sitting in a caravan in Wales indulging in Cherise Sinclair books The Dark Citadel. Hi M Dowden have fruit flan in fridge and Cidre instead of wine for long hot evening and thought of you. Beau's tea shop. Beaumaris. Oh and the moment got me. 6am the olympic torch relay got me up yesterday :)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 12:16:55 BDT
Hi carocaro. To be honest I didn't get anywhere near that, I stalled at the 2nd chapter because I did not like the main character and the way it was written in the present tense. She was too young and needy for my liking, with banal inner monologue.

Posted on 30 May 2012 14:23:29 BDT
carocaro says:
Thanks Karen. I may give it a go when my TBR list virtually empties. I'm fine with D/s relationships but I get the impression this isn't a caring Dom situation more of sadist which may be for a masochist choice of read rather than mine.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 16:17:53 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 30 May 2012 16:59:12 BDT]
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  2097
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  25 Dec 2009
Latest post:  3 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 66 customers

Search Customer Discussions