Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

What are you reading now?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4676-4700 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 17:47:38 BDT
I just finished reading the phanthom by jo nesbo, I have read all his books, am now waiting for the next one, I love his books so much, I have just started read Elton Johns book, about aids called love is the cure, it is very informative on the way people think about aids, I didn't realise how much he has done and is still doing to help aids sufferers and for aids research. I now see him in a different light altogether.

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 17:22:46 BDT
Touch by James D Quinton and Stephen King's 11 22 63, both are brilliant.

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 13:21:21 BDT
Learning Difficulties by Gill Jackman. Set in the '70's about the education system. Very funny and massive educative about feminism at the time.

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 02:19:32 BDT
julieg says:
I have just finished reading "Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum" by S.J.Prosapio, this was a really good read, and definatly recommendable.
Now I am reading "The Etruscan" by Linda Lappin and "The White Road" by John Connolly.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 16:08:57 BDT
carocaro says:
Yes Karen, that side of the island is a doddle to drive when on the inside but when on the outside where the drop is and faced with a coach or truck it does upset ones innards somewhat. I don't think you could see anyone from the gate, chance only. When we've seen people it's coz we sit around with family and or friends chatting the night away with vino and a nice meal. Usually it is the response others make that alerts you to someone of note but often it's people unknown to us.
We saw a group of attractive people walking from coach to ship in Palma and when local people were applauding them I asked who they were, Ballet Flamenco I was told, the ship or enormous yacht... King Juan Carlos, no we didn't see him at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 15:53:35 BDT
Oh, I have that to read yet - I love Lisa Jewell. I am still reading Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness, not much reading done last week as unpacking all my boxes after moving but might sneak some in this afternoon before my OH comes home from work - I love having holidays when he has to work!!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 15:51:42 BDT
We had a villa that backed on to the marina, and we went out for dinner each night around there but I think Cala D'Or was much bigger than we realised, so didn't see all that much of it. We had a BBQ and a pool so had a splendid time without the celeb spotting. We went to Alcudia years ago with my parents and drove round the island to see if we could see Michael Douglas at his holiday home - the hills are so scary round that side of the island though, my mum was terrified!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 14:27:45 BDT
carocaro says:
History even in novel form if accurate, and this is, is educational M.Dowden :) I always encourage educational reads and this one is through many different facets. Regards second sentence, I wish;)

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 13:31:23 BDT
I am reading The Republic of Love by Carol Shields. I love her books. She knows her characters inside out, and as my own writing is always character driven, I feel at home reading her books. It's a sadness that she has died of cancer.

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 13:26:08 BDT
clara says:
Just finished Before I met you by Lisa Jewell, excellent. Now starting The Love of my Life by Louise Douglas

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 12:30:43 BDT
M. Dowden says:
carcaro, you very naught woman, reading all these dirty books. I hope your OH puts you over his knee. ; )

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 11:49:40 BDT
carocaro says:
Have just finished reading White Ivory and rated it 4* +
I hadn't read the product description silly me, I thought it was between the world wars but didn't know when and there it was in the PD as 1924! If you like BDSM and a well researched historical context regarding sexual slavery good and bad then you would enjoy this but it has a dark side too. I have reviewed it and a little more information there but not too much.

I still have MTM's review to do later too. Have a good day all of you:)

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 09:51:48 BDT
Nicci says:
Ive just finished reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, which i really enjoyed and im now about to start Bram Stokers Dracula.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 21:29:16 BDT
carocaro says:
Did you sit in the marina each evening Karen? My OH has a thing about boats. Most marinas that have large motor launches and super yachts will have a few celebs. We were at St Eulalia overlooking the marina when Spain won the world cup, my OH helped someone with the electrics on his boat a beautiful refurbished luxury yacht from the 1920's
and he was pointing out famous people's boats but didn't see them yet they were around. Boats went out during the day came in at night. I was told George Michael was on but couldn't make him out clearly. We like big ships too. Love sailing and cruises.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 21:12:24 BDT
I went to Cala D'Or in 2008, but I didn't see any celebs. I would have loved to see Patrick Swayze!

Posted on 29 Jul 2012 20:54:13 BDT
carocaro says:
Monica,
I was also disgusted by the US press stance on 7/7 as if it's a minor thing compared to there 9/11.
No I don't think female circumcision giggle worthy in the slightest. It was the fact that I'd teased the lads then ended reading something loosely associated that made me cringe and my legs tense up in horror. I should be clearer. I have seen too often the results of girls circumcised first hand and usually at the transition from childhood when they have no say or rights. I've heard parents say it's a religious tradition of Islam but it isn't. It's a tradition in subsaharan Africa and parts of Asia but nowhere in the Koran does it say to do this. Just sick patriarchal misguided control.
Hope that makes my stance on that abhorrence clearer and I should read carefully before posting what I mean.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 20:39:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jul 2012 20:40:46 BDT
monica says:
I'd steer *well* clear of anyone who thought that something giggleworthy, carocaro.

Since ye are having such fun with double entendres, you'll probably enjoy a couple of quotes from NBC (american telly channel) coverage of opening night ceremony. The announcers for it were apparently brain-dead: After pointing out that official name of Luxembourg was Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, one of them said 'You think they'd be standing in the G-spot'. Another one said, believe it or not, that a view of the queen was the 'money shot' of the night. (And you'll probably share my anger over the 7/7 tribute not being aired because, said NBC, 'it wasn't tailored for an American context'.)

Reading In Flagrante Collecto: (Caught in the Art of Collecting)--browsing it, really, as the text isn't that wonderful but the photos of collected objects often are.

Posted on 29 Jul 2012 18:20:16 BDT
carocaro says:
*wide eyed, innocent smile* perhaps back to books. You may not believe this but I have just read of female circumcision in White Ivory a cruelty that many women still suffer in sub Saharan Africa and parts of Asia. This story shows the difference between a Dominant submissive relationship which caters for both people's needs as compared to illegal slavery where only the owners needs desires are catered for at the suffering of the other being used and abused. Harsh and cleverly done as contrasts of extremes. Still 10% to read, but my thighs are clenched and eyes watering and need a break. Now lads you can have a giggle too.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 18:08:27 BDT
Forget taking it out - the thought of putting it in in the first place makes me shudder ...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 18:07:48 BDT
Yep, you know *exactly* what I was getting at ...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 17:53:41 BDT
C. Rees says:
Please stop; it is making my eyes water!

Posted on 29 Jul 2012 17:34:28 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Prince Alberts always makes me wonder what it is like if you take it out. You must end up with a sprinkler system. : )

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 17:24:15 BDT
carocaro says:
Sou'Wester, O-O you doubt my wide eyed look, shucks, fascinating ring to it really;-)

Posted on 29 Jul 2012 17:19:34 BDT
carocaro says:
I can almost see you rolling that floor Marcus :))
Pieces of twiddling jewelry like that have been round a long time. Of course the history of a royal pedigree meant they became popular. Victoria was no naive sweety, either.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 16:39:48 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Don't think your claim rings true!
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  2097
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  25 Dec 2009
Latest post:  3 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 66 customers

Search Customer Discussions