Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Self-published books: pain or gain?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-350 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 10:13:23 BDT
I think you're pointing out something really important: know your genre; know your audience. Many compare their writing with big names, often with bestsellers and it can backfire greatly. As it has in your case. If the author would have said, similar to 50 shades, but without the sex, then it might be fairer for the reader.
I'm a bit torn about the refunding. I do understand it's a lot of money and I also do understand you've been misguided, the latter is the only excuse for refunding re this book. Would you have asked for a refund if you bought the book by own decision, thinking it may be similar, I mean without the added blurb-sentence? Just a question. Personally, I wouldn't ask for a refund unless the book is only half-downloaded (technical error) or the formatting is off in a later part which makes it unreadable. Or I clicked the wrong book my accident, which never happened yet.

Giving the well-balanced review is a good thing you're doing. Especially important for other readers (not the authors) to judge: characters likable/believable? Story tight? Funny? Sad? Does something unexpected happen, will it keep the suspense and readers guessing? How is the writing in general? Errors? etc. Of course without going into detail as that would spoil the plot and the author's hard work. Does it compare it with an established author's book?

I understand your rating system and it's absolutely logical. If you read something outside your genre and have to dig out Thesaurus at every second sentence to look up some meanings, you can't enjoy the read. It may be a perfectly well written book, grammatically, factually well done, but you just can't lose yourself in it, then you won't go and recommend it enthusiastically to your friend along with 'Hey, I just (not) finished this book, you MUST read it!', No, you'd go and say, 'Hey, just (not) finished this book, not my cuppa, but maybe it's for you, since you're into (insert genre/topic).'

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 12:03:39 BDT
C says:
Hi Stella, Hi J

In my view you are bang on point J. This is exactly what I was saying earlier. It is the readers that hold the key to good authors getting the exposure they deserve and the not so good being moved aside, unless they take the hint and improve of course. Without feedback whether good or bad authors simply do not know where they are. Well done for putting in a review, it is exactly what you should do. A lot of readers read, but don't post reviews.

On getting the refund, I don't see why you shouldn't. If you bought something almost anywhere else and didn't like it you could get a refund. What I don't like, is people buying a book reading it and then returning it for no reason. That is using Amazon more or less like a library and is disingenuous. If you didn't like it fair enough.

Regards

Carla Croft

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 12:29:14 BDT
The difference is here: you read the book and then ask for a refund.

It's the same like going to a restaurant, eating the whole plate of food and then complain.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 12:49:30 BDT
C says:
Hi Stella

Yes in those circumstances I would have to agree with you.

Carla

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 12:52:36 BDT
I don't like the 7-day-return policy to be honest. Unless the book is truly broken or you ordered the wrong one by accident, there's no need to return it. If you're a fast reader, you can return books regularly, that's not all right.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 13:11:23 BDT
C says:
Absolutely agree. That is using Amazon like a library,

Carla

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 15:01:35 BDT
Not straight Romance, and no vampires?

In which case, they sound like great reads, Stella.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 15:22:37 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 27 May 2012 15:25:09 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 15:24:56 BDT
It's OK, I knew what you meant by "straight Romance", Stella. Personally, I have no interest in reading gay romance, any more than I am interested in reading vampire romance ... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 15:30:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 May 2012 15:30:45 BDT
Phew, good that it's clear. I'd hate it if a whole stream of gays would run to buy the books and be bitterly disappointed. hahaha.

I have a gay character in my current WIP, though, or better a bi-sexual one.

And I just see that my post was deleted. What did I do now? I didn't say anything offensive.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 15:35:07 BDT
Didn't you say "no gay romance" or something? That probably got the PC bots hot under the collar - they probably thought it was an instruction, rather than content information ... mine will be deleted soon, too, probably.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 15:56:17 BDT
If not, I'll be offended. I can't remember, either. I think I said no gays, so if this post will be deleted, we'll know. Ha!

Posted on 27 May 2012 17:03:59 BDT
Perhaps it's easier doing a series of children's books. I started my Leon Chameleon PI series with three books and then had an animation company interested. They wanted 20 stories/themes. I managed to come up with 20 story outlines. Unfortunately nothing came of it because they couldn't get funding :(

Posted on 27 May 2012 17:09:24 BDT
Anita says:
Aha, Stella, deleted again? In addition to your no-voting fan club?
I think, I've used the word "hell" more than once. Still waiting to be deleted for the first time :)

Look, Marcus' post still here

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 17:09:33 BDT
Madnad says:
I recently read a book that was in print but had some many typos it was nearly unreadable. The author had used a vanity press, and when I confronted him, he confessed he didn't pay the extra costs to get the editing service. So, having a book in print is not an indication of quality either sadly.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 17:13:41 BDT
Apparently you can do that with print books too, under the Sales of Goods act... (not a joke, I promise!)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 17:21:41 BDT
I would be brain dead if I tried that. :-) I hate outlining even for one book. lol

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 17:22:30 BDT
Yeah and I didn't even say anything offensive. If someone wants my attention: just send me an e-mail. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 17:24:06 BDT
That's shocking. It never even crossed my mind to give back a book. I bought a few books I knew I might not read and thought I could give them to a friend, but never did. In the end I gave all my paperbacks (almost) to a charity.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 18:16:43 BDT
I know - and now *I'm* getting offended. Maybe I'll have to say something that is actually offensive?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 18:20:44 BDT
Anita says:
Cope with it, Marcus. Stella is a star, so she's supposed to care about what she is saying more than someone else... say, Marcus :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 18:21:59 BDT
:-)

I find it difficult to be offensive, anyway. I'll cope, I think ...

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 18:36:47 BDT
I think the refunds are good for readers and writers. I think of them as a safety net, if after reading the whole sample the book goes badly off.

Not sure if the 7 day refund is too long though. If I buy a book I read it straight away and depending on its length, I finish it in a few days. If it's very long it's more.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 18:37:54 BDT
Yeah, you got that right. I'm a star. Phew, star my backside.

By the way, an appeal to anyone who writes: please do NOT use the phrase 'making love'. I just ranted about it on my blog. I hate, hate HATE that expression. Just saying.

Terrible expression. Oh I could rant for ages about that.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 18:38:36 BDT
Yes, it could be open to cheating, but I'd hope Amazon would have a system of keeping a tally and if a customer asked for refunds too often they would be suspicious.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  418
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  17 May 2012
Latest post:  28 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions