Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Non-Whigers' Forum. Hard working authors and sensible readers only

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2676-2700 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 23:28:56 BDT
carocaro says:
Too cold to do a Barbara Windsor carry on Will definitely wouldn't be peachy with that wind chill!!!
Cheesy enough;-)

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 01:38:45 BDT
Lyn Horner says:
Yes, Will, you are absolutely right. They do adopt us. This gray fella, who I affectionately call Mr. Gray (because I can't think of anything better) adopted me months ago. He knew I could not turn him away when he meowed mornfully at the back door. Cats are very smart that way. My husband tells me I am a cat magnet. If there's a stray within our neighborhood, he or she finds me. My daughter is the same way.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 01:45:45 BDT
Lyn Horner says:
Caro, no I won't let Mr. Gray into the herd (pride, pack?) until he's checked out by our vet. That's on the schedule as soon as I finish paying the bills for all our recent animal care, which amounts to something like $1,000. I haven't told hubby the total. He already gave me a dirty look when I proposed officially adopting the gray visitor. Don't want him to blow the roof off. Not that he would. He's more the passive-aggressive type, very good at making me feel guilty for my foolish cat obsession.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 01:47:51 BDT
Lyn Horner says:
I'm so glad your Cassie is doing good. I hope that continues.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 06:03:20 BDT
Carol,

I've done them all the way up and including 18th.
http://mirabooks.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/on-this-day-on-of-our-dinosaurs-is-missing/
Did something else yesterday, but I'll do another On ThisDay today.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 06:15:27 BDT
Hi All,

Just read on the US side that Amazon told one of the influential members there that they employ teams of trolls who regularly trawl through all the messages and vote down anything that's not related to reading. Which would explain why this thread is constantly voted down by one or more of those poor souls.

On the brighter side, Hiding the Elephant is
#51 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Literary Fiction
#2 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Police Procedurals

so I'm a happy bunny for the moment. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 06:55:01 BDT
LOL, Will.

Please don't slag off the oak. My favourite timber.:-)

The downloads are still going strong.

See what happens later, hey?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 07:57:09 BDT
Not exactly but definitely better. Now I have to persuade him to let me clean his teeth regularly. Hmm.... that's going to be fun!

Ah Will, cheesy but tasty. Phnark!

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 08:23:06 BDT
Lex Allen says:
Okie-dokie, my British friends...what is "Carry On" and how does that relate to keeping a bra on or not? lol

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 08:29:58 BDT
Lex,

Find the film 'Carry On Camping' and all will be revealed - so to speak. :-)

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 08:34:29 BDT
Gasps! Seriously, you've never heard of the Carry On films? No way. So you mean when I say things like Oh Matron it goes...

OK, they're a bunch of innuendo-laden films made in the 60s and 70s - imagine seaside post card humour transposed to the cinema and you proabably have it. In a sort of vaudvillian way they're really, really funny and so, so, much more subtle and intelligent than they appear.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 08:40:11 BDT
carocaro says:
Thanks Mira....oh and well done regarding Hiding the Elephant...hope it continues and has a knock on effect with your other stories too.

By the way you mean the do you think this adds to the discussion buttons....employed to do that, poor souls as if anyone takes any notice! Well I don't. I'm happy to talk book or holiday...very relevant as I get twice the reading then..or three times the amount if no wifi or mobile comms. Despite all I did last week, visits and experiences I also read ten stories...7 novels and 5 novellas...now trying to catch up on reviewing.
Here's a moral question for your consideration...I review books where I get to chat or become cyber friends with authors...oh and sorry but I review as find and if negatives involved then still mention them tactfully.
However, how ethical is it for me to review books that I've also edited? Providing I'm being honest in my evaluation of course.
Over to you.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 08:42:31 BDT
carocaro says:
MTM I read the Will one and for a moment wondered how close this cyber pal was getting in regards to cleaning his teeth:))
Then I reread it carefully!

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 08:46:42 BDT
carocaro says:
Oh Lex, you poor deprived soul...Carry on films as MTM says are corny but funny and innuendo personified. In Carry On Camping, Barbara Windsor the buxom blonde was doing breathing exercises..in out with close up on cleavage. In the filming she 'accidentally' popped and burst her bra with her in/outs and they kept it in. I believe it was one of the first family films that had a topless moment, though discreet by today's standards.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 08:54:11 BDT
Lex Allen says:
Alas, I've led a very sheltered life it seems...;o(.

I think I'll head off and see what the film is all about...thanks Mira and MTM.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 08:57:46 BDT
Lex Allen says:
Ah...so the 'Carry On' films were so popular as to become part of the British lexicon and your post about keeping your bra on, referenced this part of the movie?

I got it, by golly! Still, I'm going to see if I can find the films...if nothing more than the trailers...;o)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 09:03:07 BDT
Caro,

As an author. I hope I embrace all negatives if they're valid. If there's something sucky in my work I want to know, even if it smarts at first. And if I'm putting stuff into the public domain I really should be big enough and ugly enough to be able to deal with criticism.

I'm not sure about reviewing things you've edited but if you put the right spin on declaring your interest it would probably be OK. I don't think you could do it for every work you edit, only the ones that really stand out and floor you with their brilliance. Do it for the chosen few and it could probably have quite an impact.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 10:22:31 BDT
Minijax says:
How interesting, Mira. But at least it's not personal.

Jolly well done on the ratings. It's great fun watching the progress isn't it?

Jackie

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 11:26:37 BDT
Now Lyn, you know that you will take a cat in whether or not it passes the vet's inspection. I have now finished reading Six Cats In My Kitchen and I'm thinking of the loco cat, Rumor. One of the many strengths of the book for me was your honesty and lack of sentimentality about your love of cats and your own personality, so it's no good thinking you can ever resist an appealing stray!

I have now been obliged to change my shorts. Thanks to Caro for the suggestion. I have been looking carefully at every conjunction and now there are far fewer `buts'. In fact I had changed "Asleep on the Job" several times before, to include more stories and to tweak others. Unfortunately, every bit of tweaking introduced new glitches and so I have taken the time to edit them, which led to more changes, thereby doubtless introducing new trypos. Seems I'm in danger of becoming the Claudio Ranieri (The Tinkerman) of the world of short stories.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 11:39:13 BDT
Minijax says:
It's a never ending carousel, Robert. Best of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 12:17:08 BDT
carocaro says:
Ah how refreshing Robert...don't you feel better for your nice clean shorts :)

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 12:55:13 BDT
MWah hah haargh, I thought something was beginning to hum around here. Robert I'm delighted you've changed your shorts snortle phnurk.

cheers

MTM

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 14:10:20 BDT
Ah and sorry to jump in again but the interview has now gone live. Here's the link. http://bit.ly/JnJs9X
Cheers

MTM

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 14:31:41 BDT
Lyn Horner says:
Robert, You have me down pat. Yes, I am a total sucker for strays, as you know from reading Six Cat. Thanks for that, my friend! If you are willing, a review would be welcome. I've received a couple uncomplimentary ones here and on the US site due mainly to the fact that we had all our critters declawed (front paws only). I didn't know that declawing is illegal in Britain until the unhappy reviewer mentioned it. Many Americans also disapprove of the practice, but I won't make excuses for our decision. It was right for us at the time.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 14:48:59 BDT
Lyn Horner says:
MTM, I found your interview on the Goodreads group. Left you a couple questions.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  132
Total posts:  7029
Initial post:  18 Sep 2011
Latest post:  29 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions