Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Whats everyone reading ?? Im stuck on what to read next.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 164 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Dec 2012 19:01:22 GMT
Any suggestions please? Im 22 and need something decent to read as all the books im reading at the mo, aint at all interesting

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 20:16:32 GMT
Gormenghast trilogy is good

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 21:10:57 GMT
As this is such a long trilogy, and because I am reading other things, I bought it on CD: Gormenghast. I have got about twenty minutes to go. A really great listen/read. Some superb description and the language/vocab is brilliant.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 21:54:55 GMT
monica says:
I'm not reading anything at the moment, as it's difficult to find a book without apostrophes that I can really get my teeth into.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 22:26:00 GMT
G P Francis says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 09:50:40 GMT
Thriller: Alistair MacLean;- Ice Station Zebra. ................., A Classic ;- Tolkien The Hobbit, 0r Pride and Prejudice, .................................Humour/ 20th Century Politics , Giovanna Guareschi;- The Little World of Don Camillo................Animals Gerald Durrell;- My family and other animals and its sequel Birds Beasts and other relatives. Science Fiction Arthur C Clarke ;- 2001 A Space Odysey......................................Classics (Insomnia cure but still good) Livy; The War with Hannibal. I enjoyed all these. And if you want to go way off the beaten track the book I wrote and just put up on Kindle One Life Two Worlds. But seriously, I suggest focus on classics of literture: the classics are classic becasue they are usually for all generations simply a good read, pulling you into the authors own world.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 09:58:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2012 10:01:37 GMT
I Readalot says:
What books and authors have you found interesting? It is easier to recommend when we have a starting point. Do you like crime, thrillers, fantasy or sci fi, romantic fiction or historical novels, classics or comtemporary? I could recommend plenty of great reads but they may not be your kind of thing.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 10:00:21 GMT
I Readalot says:
This is not the place for self-promo, read the info in 'An Important Announcement from Amazon'.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 10:34:49 GMT
Apologies, I have only this week for the first time ventured into the world of Kindle, its related posts and its regulations and rules. And so was unaware. Re the first post ;- another classic `Crime and Punishment' by Dostoyevsky. Not a Christmas read but may tune in well with the drab winter months of January and February.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 10:55:07 GMT
Mr Poe says:
'Under a Kaleidoscope Sky' is an under-rated classic

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 13:01:37 GMT
I Readalot says:
Not really aimed at you but the person above your post who seems to be dropping this link into a few threads at he moment. You have actually recommended some good titles and just mentioned yours almost in passing, no problem with that at all.

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 16:31:01 GMT
The Spirit Of The House
Try this ..I loved it ...weird and lovely and very readable

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 17:06:10 GMT
Tricia says:
What about Charles Dickens. Very good for this time of year!!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 17:46:52 GMT
Marian Bull says:
I've just got a Kindle and am reading Oliver Twist, read it at school seventy years ago and am enjoying it more this time! Now I've downloaded several more. I like Jodi Picoult and have now started on Diana Chamberlain and find her novels well written.

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 18:53:52 GMT
Thanks everyone, ill look up all the books suggested. I read all type of books but do prefer my romance or a really good thriller :)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 19:07:11 GMT
Dajack says:
Uncut & Unfinished (Salvors Series)

First in the Salvors Series very good

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 19:09:04 GMT
C. Clancy says:
Try John Connolly his Charlie Parker thrillers are excellent

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 20:15:03 GMT
Eviesmum says:
Janet Evanovich does a good series of books about a female bounty hunter - the first one is called One for the Money. She also wrote a few standalone ones which are easy fluffy reads.

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 20:15:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2012 20:15:57 GMT
I've just finished This Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas and what can I say apart from Brilliant. Its definetly at the top with fifty shades and bared to you. A must read

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 22:04:01 GMT
Booktigger says:
If you like thrillers, try Andrew Kaufman, if you like a medical aspect, try The Trial by Ryan Butcher. I've read other good thrillers, but can't remember off the top of my head

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 09:17:48 GMT
I Readalot says:
Have you tried any of the Scandi crime thrillers? Jo Nesbo, Arnaldur Indridason, Yrsa Sigurdardottir, Johan Theorin, Hakan Nesser, Karin Fossum, Karin Alvetegen to name a few, also the French author Fred Vargas, she is definitely underrated in the UK, intriguing plots with humour and some quirky characters.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 09:27:36 GMT
Erin Stahl says:
The Apothecary's Apprentice and The Snorg are real crackers.

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 12:02:51 GMT
I Readalot says:
There is also Nicci French (husband and wife team), most of them are standalone thrillers but they have also started a series with Blue Monday and Tuesday's Gone. Also have you read the novels by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven? Gothic thrillers set in Barcelona that emphasise the importance and power of books and reading, wonderful stories.

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 14:17:56 GMT
Paul Quarry says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 16:58:57 GMT
I Readalot says:
Paul, please read previous post in a thread. Amazon only allow self-promo in the MOA Forum as explained in the 'Important Announcement from Amazon'. Mr. R. A. Llewellyn Brown may have mentioned his above but he also joined in the discussion by recommending plenty of other titles. Just dumping a link for your own book is likely to upset people in these discussion threads and your post could well be deleted by Amazon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon.UK
415 20 May 2014
Ancient Roman fiction 10 10 hours ago
Come on - why don't we write our own book right here in the fiction forum ? I'll do the first sentence, and then jump in....hold on, here we go... 8896 22 hours ago
Kids books that are arguably wasted on their intended audience. 24 1 day ago
What are you reading now, list and chat 348 1 day ago
What is the saddest book you have ever read? 891 1 day ago
Looking for a book - May have rock & roll in the title 1 1 day ago
Self-published books: pain or gain? 9815 6 days ago
What are you reading now? Continues here... 166 9 days ago
Reviews- How many stars make a troll? 14 9 days ago
Hitler - Fiction books 2 10 days ago
Georgette Heyer Alternatives 67 12 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  119
Total posts:  164
Initial post:  19 Dec 2012
Latest post:  8 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions