Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Anyone recommend novels containing a journey the unknown?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 64 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Jul 2012 08:18:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2012 08:56:04 BDT
Cartimand says:
Ever since reading Lord of the Rings as a teenager, I've loved books based on journeys from cosy familiarity into the unknown. You know, where you feel utterly compelled to turn the page to find out what's around the next corner. So, can anyone recommend something along those lines please? Doesn't have to be in the heroic fantasy or sci-fi genre, but needs to capture that sense of wonder and anticipation.
Thanks in anticipation!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 08:21:22 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Jul 2012 09:15:28 BDT]

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 08:22:18 BDT
Oracle says:
This might be a bit darker than what you're looking for but I thought it was fantastic: The Mall

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 08:24:34 BDT
Oracle says:
You wrote the Eyes of Myra, so it's not really any surprise you think that, is it?

Self-promotion is not allowed in this forum by Amazon. You need to delete your post and post in Meet Our Authors instead.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 08:27:03 BDT
Oracle says:
Also, you can't beat Watership Down (which despite being a kids' book also gets pretty dark).

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 09:07:03 BDT
Cartimand says:
Thanks guys. The Mall looks quite intriguing and I'm certainly not averse to a little horror now and then. I also enjoy time travel/shift and grandiose scope in a novel, so may check out The Eyes Of Myra. I remember reading and enjoying Watership Down back in my school days. It was surprisingly dark, spiritual and profound.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 09:16:31 BDT
I'm sorry but I did not write that post and have now deleted it.

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 10:01:57 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Three traditionally popular stories seem to fit the bill: "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" (Jules Verne), "The Lost World" (Arthur Conan Doyle) and "King Solomon's Mines" (Rider Haggard).

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 10:18:04 BDT
Cartimand says:
Thanks Sou'Wester - I read all three many years ago.

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 11:56:28 BDT
The 2 books that have most kept me turning the pages to find out what happens next in recent years are A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy 1) by Deborah Harkness and The Passage by Justin Cronin, which are both epic and the beginning of trilogies.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 12:17:18 BDT
Hi C. Try Icarus Rising by Dominic Carney (that's me).

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 12:59:47 BDT
Rosie says:
You might take a look at Diana Gabaldon 'Outlander' Series. 1st book is Cross Stitch (Outlander 1) Seven books in all. Absolutely addictive!! (",)

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 18:18:42 BDT
Mark Steele says:
I would recommend a book called The Lighthouse Bubble. It is about a man's descent into the dark depths of despair in and beneath a lighthouse, as told in twelve stirring stories of rhyming verse.The Lighthouse Bubble

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 19:30:59 BDT
If you are after wonder and anticipation, have you tried One hundred years of Solitude?

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 19:43:15 BDT
If you are after wonder and anticipation, have you tried One hundred years of Solitude?

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 20:16:15 BDT
Dan Holloway says:
for classic takes on the theme, how about Conan Doyle's The Lost World or Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 20:39:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2012 20:42:11 BDT
gille liath says:
It's no good looking for books like LotR, because they aren't there! But lots of fantasy writers have tried, and I quite like Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, especially the second trilogy beginning with The Wounded Land. They're a little derivative but fit the bill.

Other than that (and The Odyssey) I can only really think of non-fiction: eg Richard Burton's books about his travels; or The Worst Journey In The World (Vintage Classics) (about Scott's Antarctic expedition), The White Nile (the C19th European exploration of Africa), or Seven Years in Tibet (Paladin Books) (a German mountaineer who, in wartime, escapes from British India into Tibet).

If you favour the fantasy angle, though, you'd be best off repeating the question on that forum.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 20:40:18 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Jul 2012 20:40:46 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 21:07:28 BDT
Anita says:
For a journey into unknown, hardly anything better than this, I think

Shadow and Claw: The First Half of the Book of the New Sun

Sword and Citadel: The Second Half of the Book of the New Sun

and also the 5th

The Urth of the New Sun (Orbit Books)

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 22:52:42 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
If you really want a journey into the unknown try commuting between Milton Keynes and Northampton.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 08:05:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2012 08:09:28 BDT
Cartimand says:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I've already read some of these (Gene Wolfe, Donaldson, Rider Haggard and Jules Verne), but will check out the others.

Oh and I acknowledge your point Anita that it is probably a hopeless task seeking anything to recapture the magic of the first time you read LoTR. No-one did that "what's around the next bend in the path" wonder better than Tolkien.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 09:51:56 BDT
gille liath says:
Think that was *my* point! :)

Interesting tag btw: how are the Brigantes these days?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 10:19:10 BDT
Anita says:
Of course, it was *your* point, gille liath. I'd never dare to steal one from you

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 11:01:59 BDT
Hawk Quest by robert lyndon

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 11:41:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2012 11:55:41 BDT
Cartimand says:
Sorry gille - it was indeed your (very perceptive) point!

(Oh and my cyberhandle is a legacy from playing an ancient Britons v Romans RPG many years ago).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon.UK
415 20 May 2014
Come on - why don't we write our own book right here in the fiction forum ? I'll do the first sentence, and then jump in....hold on, here we go... 8882 33 minutes ago
What are you reading now? Continues here... 166 1 day ago
Reviews- How many stars make a troll? 14 1 day ago
Kids books that are arguably wasted on their intended audience. 23 2 days ago
What is the saddest book you have ever read? 886 2 days ago
Hitler - Fiction books 2 2 days ago
Looking for a book - May have rock & roll in the title 0 4 days ago
Georgette Heyer Alternatives 67 4 days ago
Come on - why don't we write our own book right here in the fiction forum ? The sequel. 122 4 days ago
Book set in a village in South Wales - help! 2 7 days ago
What are you reading now, list and chat 345 7 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  2 Jul 2012
Latest post:  9 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions