Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Free book found in a cafe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Feb 2011 13:56:18 GMT
A.J.S says:
A friend of mine found a book in a cafe the other day.
There was a book mark sticking out of it saying something like, "this book is a gift to you, if you would like it please give it a good home, read it and pass it on". Or something like that.
There was a code number, and a web address where she went and just entered the code. Apparently this is just so that the person having left the book can be sure that it has found a new home.

It appears that this is a completely new idea for people share books that they have enjoyed, with other random book lovers.
What a lovely idea!
Andrew

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 14:27:51 GMT
That is fantastic... I must admit, I was delighted enough to pick up a copy of Top Gear Magazine in a cafe the other day but a book? cool. I'm already plotting places to leave my novel round town to see what happens.

Cheers

MTM

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 14:31:12 GMT
VCBF (Val) says:
I had heard about this.
The note inside is so you know it has been left deliberately.

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 14:33:10 GMT
A.J.S says:
I shall have to find out what the website was.
From what I can make out, you basically enter the book details on the site and it gives you a code and a bookmark thingy to print out and stick inside the book. So, that when someone finds the book you get a message to say that your book has found a new home.

Yes, you could get quite creative about where you leave the books. :-)

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 14:36:44 GMT
Marion Stein says:
There are a couple of sites that involve the theme of "setting books free" and leaving them places. If you google you will find them. I also left some promo paperbacks of my novelin a few select locations but I don't think I did it on a large enough scale, and didn't get any replies on the website.

In my building, the basement laundry room doubles as a free book exchange. I've found some amazing stuff there, and left some too.

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 14:39:34 GMT
Dr Evil says:
This happened to me about 5 or 6 years ago and it was such a fantastic book (although I can't remember what it was now!) that I passed it on to friends who passed it on to their friends (I know of at least 10 people who read the copy). It is a great idea!

When I'm on holiday I always leave my read books in the hotel for others to read and take ones that have been left by someone else. It's nice to share.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2011 14:58:08 GMT
It was probably Bookcrossing.com. Not seen many but I've left a few.

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 14:59:00 GMT
Someone on one of the threads I visit did something like that with his book. I don't remember if it was here or the US forum, but I think it's a great idea and might do that for my book too.

Joyce

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 15:44:05 GMT
Bookcrossing's great. "Wild releases" are always a bit of a gamble but if you sign up you add stuff to your wishlist and when someone's finished with it they just mail you and ask if you still want it; then every time someone logs it, you get an update from where it's been. I've had books travel all over the world, and I love seeing where they've got to!

Also the BC forum thread about "Random Acts of Book-Crossing Kindness" is good for when everything is horrid and you need to restore your faith in humanity somehow. Does what it says on the tin - people just do nice things for other BC-ers they don't necessarily know, just because they can.
Utopian ideals only work in small doses, but in small doses they do continue to work sometimes....
Check it out - it's a great community.
JAC

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 22:52:39 GMT
Dee says:
I used to love bookcrossing, found 3 and my husband found 2, I think we must have lived quite close to other B C members.
I put some on a train going into London from Kent once, one of them was found and doing the rounds in Scotland..... http://www.bookcrossing.com/

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 23:03:22 GMT
Bookish says:
I experimented with Bookcrossing a while back ... but I found people kept chasing after me - "You've forgotten your book!" - and being baffled when I explained that I MEANT to leave the book.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 00:27:45 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:02:27 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2011 08:42:47 GMT
Dee says:
@ nigel p bird, isn't Concord press US Only?

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 10:23:45 GMT
After reading this thread, I've signed up. I haven't released my book into the wild yet, I'm looking forward to doing that this afternoon!

Cheers

MTM

Posted on 4 Mar 2011 19:41:11 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:03:34 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2012 08:16:12 BDT
Did you stick with bookcrossing? Now the idea is 11 years old and the Uk has it's unconvention coming up in september, google bookcrossing colchester for details of author events and random stuff for the princely sum of a tenner. Hope to see you there

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2012 08:16:45 BDT
Did you stick with bookcrossing? Now the idea is 11 years old and the Uk has it's unconvention coming up in september, google bookcrossing colchester for details of author events and random stuff for the princely sum of a tenner. Hope to see you there

Posted on 2 Jun 2012 13:31:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jun 2012 13:33:25 BDT
Dammit! They stole my idea! Well, the one of leaving my paperbacks somewhere with a note saying to pass it on and recommend it if they liked it. Word of mouth: best promotion ever.

Posted on 2 Jun 2012 18:22:42 BDT
I did try book crossing but nothing happened, I gave it to a lady who was delighted, too delighted for me to take it back, but who clearly only spoke about 3 words of English so it was unlikely to ge a go-er!

Stella, I leave my first book on the train and I also leave promotional post cards pretty much everywhere I go. I even gave one to the guy fixing out bathroom today.

Cheers

MTM

Posted on 2 Jun 2012 18:30:57 BDT
Ethereal says:
Why not leave lots of samples instead of one whole book? Get them made up into brochures with front cover, synopsis, chapter headings, no of pages, author details and the first 1-10% writing.

Posted on 2 Jun 2012 18:32:52 BDT
It would be quite expensive to get them done properly... if I can find a way though, yes.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2012 19:38:17 BDT
That's the plan. :-)

Posted on 16 Aug 2012 22:52:36 BDT
The author of my fave book, Jonny Gibbings does/did this. He has a pinterest wall of all the books he's released into the wild as he calls it. The blunderwall or something.

Posted on 16 Aug 2012 23:37:07 BDT
That's such an amazing idea!! I'm totally going to sign up. I usually donate to my local library or charity shops but I love the idea of them travelling!!

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 06:57:28 BDT
J. Gibbings says:
Hey S. China, thank you for your review. Glad you loved 'Malice' Yes, I did do this: http://pinterest.com/jonnygibbings/malice-in-blunderland/
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  8 Feb 2011
Latest post:  21 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions