Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Book Ending Ruined!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 May 2012 11:10:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2012 11:11:59 BDT
CP says:
Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2)

I have recently purchased from Amazon The Hunger Games and have been enjoying reading for the past few days. I'm sure you can imagine my frustration when i logged onto the Amazon website and in one of the right hand promotion boxes you are advertising the second book in the trilogy. Whilst i encourage them to get customers to buy the second book is it really necessary for them to give the ending of the first book away in doing this???
You have an image of the book, the title and then a brief description reveling the ending of the first book! This is incredibly frustrating as i was very much enjoying the first book which you have now ruined the ending of! im sure (given that the first book is in the UK top 10 books at the moment) that i cant be the only person who this has happened to???

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2012 12:20:07 BDT
LEP says:
Why don't you contact Amazon direct with your very valid complaint. Click on Help top right corner and email them.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2012 12:26:17 BDT
CP says:
Hi
thanks for the advice, I've dropped amazon some feedback to let them know my thoughts, i doubt they will take any action but im sure I cant be the only person who doesn't want to hear how the second book starts before ive finished the first one!

Posted on 2 May 2012 13:46:17 BDT
That would frustrate me, too. You get that regularly in reviews, too. Annoying.

I haven't read the hunger games yet, but I'll steer away from all the reviews and adverts.

Posted on 2 May 2012 18:19:43 BDT
I hate being spoiled, so I agree with you - I never read the blurb for the next book in a series until the second I finish the first one. I do not want to have the ending of a book spoiled.

Posted on 2 May 2012 18:47:52 BDT
I Readalot says:
Thank goodness I read them when they first came out it must be really hard not to pick up spoilers now, especially with the film having been released. The same sort of thing happened with Harry Potter and The Twilight series.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2012 19:58:33 BDT
Or, like me, you read Goblet of Fire first and then spoiled the first 3 books! Last time I ever did that, I can tell you.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2012 20:34:58 BDT
I love to be spoiled: someone cooking for me, pouring the wine, entertain me... ;-)

I don't mind reading the blurb of the next book, I mean if there's a series, you'd expect that the MC will sort of survive, but I hate when people spoil the plot when writing reviews. Super thoughtless if you ask me.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 12:26:21 BDT
LEP says:
I try my hardest not to spoil the plot when I write reviews. However, I suppose to some extent I sometimes write a bit too much of the story, a fault I try to rectify now when writing the reviews.

I remember being really annoyed when reading a review for the 3rd book in C S Harris's series, I was really looking forward to it as the author takes about a year between books, only to find that the reviewer had gone and told us what happens. There is a thread running through the books telling us about the "hero's" past and private life, and there it was bam!

Posted on 26 May 2012 12:40:15 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Equally irritating are the blurbs you get on the books themselves which give half the plot away. I've encountered novels where a key event which doesn't occur until well into the story is blurted out on the back cover.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 18:13:53 BDT
Oh yes. I had reviewers revealing the twists and turns I have in my books. Boy that's so annoying. You know, there you sit, spending ages to make a book interesting, to avoid readers guessing what is going on and who the person is, etc. and there comes a reader telling it straight away. I don't like to get the information before I start reading a book and I don't like readers spoiling my heard work, making reading the book pointless for others. Maybe I'm just too protective, but it's a bit like telling me the results of a football game which I couldn't watch. The best of the game is to see my team fighting and not knowing the outcome. Grrrr.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 18:15:59 BDT
Yep, my opinion on blurb is:
Give an overall feel for the tone of the book and its genre, then introduce up to three main characters and their age, so the reader roughly knows what's it about.
Stop with the blurb when the story begins.

If you're unsure, go and read some blurbs of traditionally published book and learn. :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  2 May 2012
Latest post:  26 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions