Unsure about my work

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Dec 2012 19:28:42 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Dec 2012 20:16:13 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 19:46:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2012 19:51:20 GMT
Ethereal says:
I know this is just a forum post but if it's an indication of your WIP there might be a lot of editing needed!

It would also help if you gave more info on what the novel is about so you'll attract people who are into that genre. Someone who doesn't read what you write might not be best placed to offer feedback.

There are writer websites for this sort of thing too, I don't use them but there might be authors around who could advise. The best place for that would be the Meet Our Authors forum, link at the bottom of this webpage.

I'm also not sure if sending your work to an anonymous email address is a good idea in case someone pinches your ideas or even lifts what you've written ...

Good luck though, halfway through a novel is no mean feat, I've never yet got beyond Chapter 3!

ETA: Asking for a critical view of your work makes a refreshing change, so many authors on these forums don't take kindly to criticism.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 19:52:35 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Dec 2012 20:17:19 GMT]

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 19:55:02 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Dec 2012 20:17:05 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 20:01:38 GMT
Ethereal says:
Btw, I'd take no notice of the negs on your posts, you're not plugging anything and we all get them at some stage!

Good description, I don't read that genre but it does seem to have unique qualities.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 20:03:21 GMT
Mark Lowes says:
Thanks Ethereal!

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 20:13:46 GMT
Anita says:
A paranoiac's message:

Mark, whatever I think of your book is unimportant at the moment, but I honestly suggest you do NOT post anything of your ideas of unfinished work, as there are some people who lack ideas of their own and grab any of the others' they can find. I truly do NOT know if there are any people like that here, but in general they exist, so just a suggestion to be careful

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 20:19:22 GMT
Ethereal says:
Good thought - best stick to general genre, speculative fiction is my best guess!

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 20:25:02 GMT
Mark Lowes says:
Thanks guys, I deleted my comments, not sure how to remove the feed. Just sucks writing and having little feedback, you know?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 20:28:33 GMT
Ethereal says:
You can email Az discussions link on the guidelines tab at the bottom right of the comment box, and ask them to delete this thread. They usually do it within 24 hours.

Why not check out a writing group? There are good and bad ones and some cost, but might be worth a look.

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 20:30:31 GMT
Mark Lowes says:
Nah, I'll just leave it, if there's no original message no one should contribute.

The writing group idea is a good one. Although, it's hard to get around for me and I'm a bit short on money so I don't think I could go into one that costs, thanks for the ideas though.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 20:43:38 GMT
Hey Mark

Have you tried.... www.youwriteon.com I think, might be .co.uk and the other one that's good is authonomy. Don't try to get to the editor's desk on authonomy, just visit the writing bit of the forums, get to know other writers and ask for lots of advice.

If you're not sure about your work that's your subconscious' way of telling you that you have potential and you're learning but your work's not quite there yet. I promise you, no matter how hesitant or self conscious you are about your writing, when it's right you will know. Trust me on this, it took me 13 years to write a decent novel, 13 years until I wrote something that gave me that feeling.

There are other feedback sites, too, I think things like wattapad where you can get to know people issue instalments of your w.i.p. and get feed back.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

MTM

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 20:45:49 GMT
Just write the whole novel as best you can until you're happy with it and then self publish on kindle and then you'll probably get reviewers telling you what they think then and if you don't like what they have to say, at least you will have achieved the feat of writing a novel.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 08:03:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Dec 2012 08:04:41 GMT
carocaro says:
Mark I haven't seen your initial posts as you deleted them, however, if you are still around, is it the plot, settings, research, timeline, character development, grammar, punctuation or spelling that your concerned about or all of it? Many editors will do a free sample, not a whole novel but a chapter and give you a critique of problems, which should then
inform your writing. If it is the whole story a recommended beta reader friend or even a well read friend in the first instance, who could be a person who personally has a good level of English, reads a lot, so will read your storyline and give general feedback.
I agree you should never just send it to anyone who offers as there are thieves who steal ideas. You should know or be able to reference that person by others who have had their help and advice in the past or regularly review and don't write themselves.

Good luck.

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 11:38:45 GMT
Mark Lowes says:
thank you all for your advice and thoughts. I will keep my work to myself, maybe look around in Cardiff for a writing group or something. Again, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 11:54:32 GMT
Mark here's a site for you: http://authonomy.com/forums/

You can upload your book (it's protected), and can get feedback on it. Ask for honest feedback and off you go. It's free.
Your reply to Stella Deleuze's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 13:09:56 GMT
Mark Lowes says:
Thanks Stella, I've signed up to that site. If it's protected do you think it'd be safe to post the link here in case guys want a gander?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 13:51:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2012 13:52:12 GMT
Good on you. I'd suggest to not link on here, because this is a professional platform to sell books, not a platform to get feedback. Get feedback on authonomy, dismiss the praising empty comments and work on the novel. There are a few threads that do 'brutally honest' feedback.

If you don't have time or don't want to take part in read-exchanges (they could also be for the first few chapters), then look around the forum. There's plenty of writing advice that can help you. That's what I used a lot and edited my work accordingly.

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 17:10:21 GMT
carocaro says:
Mark, I have asked a published writer in that area if he knows of such groups and hope he has some relevant information for you. He is bona fide and his work can be checked...if he is able to give information of course.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 17:12:27 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 20 Dec 2012 17:25:30 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  18 Dec 2012
Latest post:  20 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions