Foreign Readers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 50 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 19:41:11 GMT
gille liath says:
Indeed. I'm only pulling your leg.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 20:46:40 GMT
J.Yasimoto says:
Europeans should talk to each other in Esperanto. Which is, as everyone knows. Speaking. English. Very. Slowly. And. Clearly.

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 20:48:24 GMT
Ethereal says:
When I lived in Germany I very proudly ordered rolls from a bakery in German and the woman said, "Yah, ich verstehe" (I may have spelt it wrong) - deflated!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 20:51:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2013 23:42:05 GMT
gille liath says:
Isn't Esperanto just a sneaky way of trying to get us to speak French?

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 21:00:41 GMT
monica says:
And loudly, J. Yasimoto.

Is no one else curious about deletion of Stella's post? Granted, she didn't make it clear she was German, but it was innocuous enough--to an English speaker anyway it had a cartoonish quality that made joking tone clear. Is there an underground German Anti-Defamation League who spring upon chat room postings like that and report them to management? Or did the person who reported it have a grudge against Germans and hence report Stella, whilst planning something far worse for Max, who has the effrontery to actually live in Germany?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 21:06:01 GMT
gille liath says:
Didn't see it.

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 21:13:50 GMT
Roma says:
Hi Maximillian
As a lecturer of ESOL, I'm always delighted to hear from people who wish to improve their English; as a lover of literature, I'm especially pleased when they wish to do so via the medium of literature. My advice to you is to google "easy reads". You will finds lists of novels which have been simplified for native English speakers who find original texts too demanding. I think that this would be a good introduction for you to novels written in English.

I would be happy to advise on suitable language course books to help you prepare for your IELTS exams.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 21:49:17 GMT
Thank you for your answer. We have a preparation course in school for the IELTS exam. The teacher used to teach in Britain for several years and I like him for the way he teachs. I think this course and reading some books should be enough. But you are welcome to advise some language course books.

In addition, could you say to me how valuable an IELTS exam is? I have the suspicion that there are more valuable exams, but our school only offers IELTS courses.

I hope that I do not bug you, but I am glad to speak to an expert.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 21:56:34 GMT
There are a few people who hold a grudge, probably waiting for me to appear on a thread with that title. How dare I live in England and loving it. It had been kindly suggested that I go back to Germany where I belong. It may piss them even more off to know that I actually run around in a German parka, complete with German flag on it. Yes, yes.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 21:58:14 GMT
gille liath says:
" How dare I live in England and loving it."

They, whoever they are, are probably just baffled and incredulous. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 22:03:00 GMT
As I'm baffled if someone moves to Germany and loves it. :-)

We're not all that different, but English is definitely the more beautiful language to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 22:08:45 GMT
Ah, John. You know I'm still so in love with your surname. Took about a minute to say that. Got it?

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 22:16:20 GMT
I hope you don't mind that I can't participate in the discussion I started by myself.. I'm too young and inexperienced for something like this :D

But maybe I should start more Amazon threads instead of reading books .. My vocab list of words you used I had to look up is growing and growing ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 22:18:04 GMT
Roma says:
Hi Max
The IELTS system is definitely the best as it is, as its name suggests, internationally recognised. Different countries within the UK also have their own ESOL qualifications. Here in Scotland we have the Scottish Qualifications Authority which offers ESOL at various levels. If one is looking for entry into University there is Higher ESOL which is equivalent to Higher English. Whereas Higher English tests language and literature Higher ESOL only language. Some universities also offer pre - entry ESOL courses and set their own exams. Other poster might explain the English, Welsh and N Ireland Systems.

Let me know what level of IELTS who are working towards, and I'll recommend books I think would be useful.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 22:42:39 GMT
gille liath says:
Possibly, but we don't have a pure beer law. Swings & roundabouts...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 22:43:04 GMT
gille liath says:
Not a bad idea. You probably learn more by 'conversing' than just reading.

Posted on 5 Feb 2013 07:23:37 GMT
S. Dutton says:
Have you thought about studying at university in Scotland? There are no university fees for EU students as they get the same deal as Scottish students.
The policy of free university education has hit our colleges of further education for less qualified students as they get alot less money , but it does help university students and you would be eligible.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2013 09:53:42 GMT
J.Yasimoto says:
You should see it with eyebrows! (Yasim˛tˇ.)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2013 12:53:40 GMT
*thud*

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 20:59:06 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Mar 2013 23:12:36 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 21:17:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2013 21:24:45 GMT
I Readalot says:
Oh dear Stella looks like we have another spammer around, still only the 2nd discussion it has appeared in so far. As for Germany, I lived there for about 5 years many moons ago and really enjoyed my time there it was with the Army and most of the time I lived in Berlin (wall was still there at the time), a wonderful city for culture and of course for getting completely legless, the place where I had some of my most memorable hangovers.

Definitely Spam, seen it in 5 threads now, sometimes I wonder if these guys can read!

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 22:55:51 GMT
I do read, and I'm sorry if you thought it was spam. I've recently published the book and I thought it was relevant. I guess I shouldn't promote my own work at all then.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 23:02:10 GMT
I Readalot says:
Self promo is only allowed in the Meet our Authors Forum take a look at The Important Announcement from Amazon, also you have posted this in 5 threads, if you had read a few of the previous posts in some of them you would have seen comments regarding self-promotion.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 23:05:20 GMT
Thanks for the info, I Readalot. It's my first time posting on Amazon forums. I'll check out the Author Forums and I'll be more careful next time. Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 23:15:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2013 09:35:32 GMT
I Readalot says:
No problem. The thing is that Amazon go round deleting self-promo's in any forum but the MOA and if someone carries on with the promo's it has even been known for Az to remove their ability to post at all. The worst offenders, as you will discover are those who are pretending to be readers of the book rather than the author.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  1 Feb 2013
Latest post:  12 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions