Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Books to keep you going when you've considered not doing so.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Nov 2012 14:58:10 GMT
The Myth of Sisyphus (Penguin Great Ideas)

Posted on 18 Nov 2012 16:51:49 GMT
Slaughterhouse 5, or The Children's Crusade - A Duty-dance with Death or most other books written by the great man

Posted on 18 Nov 2012 20:47:21 GMT
monica says:
Another incisive thread title, though not a patch on 'Can you recommend a book'. Do you want a book that will make you want to meet arrows, slings, etc., with shouts of wild, heroic laughter or a book of high-caffeine recipes or a biography of Chad Varrah? Do you, huh? come on, do you? Make my day.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 20:56:27 GMT
gille liath says:
I think it needs to be something adult and contemporary.

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 09:39:41 GMT
Joy in the morning by P G Wodehouse

closely followed by: The Code of the Woosters

Guaranteed to stop depressed & wildly drunk Scottish teenagers from hurling themselves off the Forth Road bridge at 3 am on Sunday morning. If that's what you're after, of course.

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 09:48:49 GMT
Hullaballoo says:
Boomerang by Alan Hutchesson had me chuckling and my husband, normally averse to laughter, couldn't stop laughing and couldn't put the book down.

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 09:56:56 GMT
Sounds like Donald E Westlake on speed, Lynda, which can't be bad. I shall add it to my Christmas basket!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 13:43:27 GMT
Anita says:
And I think it should be something no so adult or contemporary... Like this:

Winnie-the-Pooh

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 18:14:17 GMT
Sorry for being les than specific in the original less than incise posting - I can't win, sometimes its too long winded...anyway I was thinking of books to recommend to someone if you or they are on the ledge....having decidied that struggling through a meaningless universe is not a journey wanting to continue and they are considering Jumping...

like this Ledge Psychology (LP Version) ( a gem by the way)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 18:15:20 GMT
maybe Gille Liath but to be honest, big fella, I was hoping for something childish and younger...definitely not cutting edge...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 18:16:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Nov 2012 18:16:58 GMT
Hi Stuart - yes precisely the required prescription in this bibliotherapy thread...comedy is the cure....I'll go look - ta ! (I was catching me death up here anyway)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 18:18:01 GMT
tanks Lynda...don't know it. (But do know that boomarangs are Austalias biggest export......and import again)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 18:19:38 GMT
good on you Anita - I once had an article in the British Journal of Psychiatry in which I explained - for comic effect but serious intent - how the principles of Cognitive Behaviour therapy were best exemplified by the Pooh books...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 18:28:50 GMT
Anita says:
I have no idea if you are for real, knocked. I remember us talking once somewhere, or else it would be more no than yes. I'm still not sure though.

Anyway, try this. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

It's not fiction, it's very funny in places, and it can be very therapeutical.

But I'd suggest to talk with a friend instead. If you can

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 18:32:24 GMT
er....I'm not sure I am real either, but if not real what ? oh hang on you mean really on a ledge ? NO - THAT'D BE TOO HEAVY, BUT LIKE MOST PEOPLE i HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO LOOK INTO THE MIDDLE DISTANCE..PENSIVE AND WONDERED WHY....WHY ARE WE BORN INTO SUCH AN UNPREDICTABLE AND INDIFFERENT UNIVERSE ? oh sorry hit the wrong button didn't mean to shout...anyway a biscuit often helps..cheers and happy reading...Bill Bryson makes me laugh more than most..

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 19:06:21 GMT
Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels usually make me laugh. However crappy life gets, at least I'm not Rincewind.
Or "Penguins Stopped Play" by Harry Thompson. You don't have to like cricket (and I don't) to enjoy it.
Anything by Spike Milligan will have my neighbours wondering what on earth is going on, too.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 19:48:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Nov 2012 19:50:13 GMT
gille liath says:
Winnie the Pooh it is, then.

It was just a wee jokette (how is AC these days?); for me personally it would have to be music (or maybe film) to get me down from the ledge, I don't think there's a book which would have any great effect. Most of the best ones are depressing anyway...

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 19:52:17 GMT
AC ? ah you are one of the cognoscenti, the in crowd aware of the secret code we members of the Adult Contemporary fora refer to that hectic and high powered chat area....well since you ask its going from strength to strength, buzzing with activity and debate.....the second get together had to be cancelled due to the timing of the police Commissioner elections which obviously took precedent...nevertheless..BANG crackle ka-pow ! its really kicking over there...

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 19:56:01 GMT
Actually, the only books that really did prise me successfully out of a fairly bleak period in my life were the Later Poems of W H Auden and a critical work regarding them by a chap with the unlikely name of Justin Replogle. Very hard to find a copy of the latter too nowadays, so I hope I stay chipper.

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 20:06:29 GMT
Larkin can be a bit of a giggle too - Poetry Of Departure and if that doesn't put a smile on your face..theres always Waste Land - Read By T.S. Eliot

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 20:07:20 GMT
gille liath says:
Yeah, that should cheer anyone up!
Your reply to gille liath's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 21:38:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Nov 2012 21:43:48 GMT
monica says:
Possibly Tim Moore, Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey orFrost On My Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a Lord and a Loafer--whilst Bryson's fine, Moore is to me at least hilarious.

Incredibly Strange Vol 1, since you seem to be a chap of catholic tastes. There was a US radio show called Dr Demento you might enjoy that no doubt can be found somewhere on net . . . What would get me off the ledge though wd prob. be Geldof's 'Great Song of Indifference' as the combination of f'you attitude + musical humour (I mean, going from 'nyah nyah nyah into ceilidh mode?) would counteract anguish, Weltschmerz, and other German nouns. Seriously.

Let Me Finish. Fascinating. Added bonus is a reviewer of it telling a terminally-ill poster to read his/her reviews for comfort.

A Candian medical joiurnal has article & many letters to ed diagnosing the characters in W the Poo. Prader-Willi and ADHD popular choices. Personally I find Charles Bonnet syndrome more interesting & for safety's sake it might be as well to suffer from it . . . those people on the footpath below your ledge look so very small? good good good, you don't realise you're on the first floor not the twentieth . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 21:46:51 GMT
gille liath says:
Frost On My Moustache; there's a book I wouldn't have anticipated us having in common. I lent my copy out years ago and never got it back.

And do you know Redmond O'Hanlon? Less definitely comedic, more intrepid, but still v. entertaining.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xb33292a0)

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  18 Nov 2012
Latest post:  19 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions