Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Self Help Books That Work?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Apr 2012 21:12:32 BDT
Chris says:
Has anyone ever read a self help book that made a difference to their lives? I've only ever read one, and it was called Super Self. It was about the potential power of the unconscious mind, and was really interesting and enjoyable to read, but it told me **** all about how to unlock the "super self. It didn't even try. It was more a kind of 'did you know' fact book.
I'm about to read Man's Search for Meaning, which I think is also a kind of self help book.
Whenever I randomly search through eBooks looking for titles that sound interesting, I come across hundreds of self help, but apart from making the authors a little richer, do any of them actually do anything worthwhile?

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 21:14:00 BDT
gille liath says:
How To Make Loads of Money Writing Self-Help Books.

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 21:43:25 BDT
monica says:
Oh, Chris Chris Chris never have I been so tempted to use 'omg'. Man's Search for Meaning is *not* a self-help book in the grand tradition of Super Self; Feel the Burn But Stop Feeling It If You Notice Smoke Coming From Your Gluts; and How to Leave Your City Job Behind and Create a Money-Making Charity. Frankl's book might possibly alter your perspective but it's nothing like what is called a self-help book. I'm glad that your internet search turned it up, though. There's a school of thought (which I've just founded) that believes that those who take self-help books seriously are those who should look to something other than self for help. Good luck though & I hope you find a book that pleases you.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 01:18:54 BDT
Chris says:
If you think that's bad, I thought Thus Spake Zarathustra was a pretentious fantasy.

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 08:26:01 BDT
J.Yasimoto says:
How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie. One of the first and one of the best. It's all common sense really, but doesn't hurt to be reminded of it occasionally.

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 15:17:10 BDT
Boo Car says:
Along those lines, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People does a fine job in reminding you that no matter how bad things are, there's a bigger loser out there.

Posted on 24 May 2012 01:45:32 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 06:29:35 BDT
Oracle says:
Hexler, please stop spamming. We're not fooled - we all know you're the author.

Posted on 25 May 2012 22:37:52 BDT
Boo car, I have to say I picked that up at an airport and thought it was not only funny but yes, it reassured me that there's a bigger prick walking among us than me. The sequel, the sound of no hands clapping is really funny too.

On the original question, I thought self help books that work are a bit like the Holy Grail - slightly more in the realm of fantasy than reality.

Cheers

MTM

Cheers

MTM

Posted on 26 May 2012 07:18:14 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I think it highly appropriate that these so-called self help books are being discussed under the heading of fiction!!

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 15:08:19 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 6 Jun 2012 15:13:12 BDT]

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 15:31:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jun 2012 15:36:54 BDT
Hi Chris,
I made the mistake of joking around with a new found friend on another forum about her rather portly dog
and since then I have been inundated with self-help and exercise recommendations by Amazon.

Please feel free to help yourself to any of this rapidly growing collection - they may even change your life ;o>

Gangsta Yoga with DJ Dog: A Housebroken Collection
Bow Wow Yoga: 10,000 Years of Posturing
Canine Couch Potatoes: Its time to get your dog involved in Sports! (Train Your Dog in One Hour)
Yoga Kittens: Take Life One Pose at a Time
Private Yoga Lessons: Yoga for Beginners. Yoga Poses For Beginners That Will Make Your Dog Go "What The..."

Always remember though Chris - Nose Down, Eyes Up, - or you might get permanently - Stuck in Downward Dog !!!

I hope these may be of use to you, and to any of your furry friends. x

Posted on 16 Feb 2013 10:35:30 GMT
K.G says:
Yes. Ten Life Changing Lessons by Winsome Campbell-Green. I found the lessons to be very powerful, relevant and what I admired about their writing is that she does not pass judgements on the reader. The book drips with compassion and does not make the reader feel he or she needs more help than they originally thought. Its a must read because so many self help books over exaggerate issues and leave the reader feeling very confused which can lead to reckless decisions. I say give Winsome Campbell-Green's Ten Life Changing Lessons a read and see for yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B009NAC9M0

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 09:45:36 GMT
Roma says:
I ve only ever bought one - Staying Sane by Raj Persaud. It s a long book but essentially the message is Change what you can and accept what you can t and aim for contentment rather than happiness. Common sense really.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 11:25:46 GMT
Chris says:
Forgot about this thread. Can't believe I called Man's Search for Meaning a self-help book. God.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 12:23:08 GMT
monica says:
No need to blush--how were you to know otherwise? Did you read it? if so, what did you think of it?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 18:48:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2013 20:46:45 GMT
Chris says:
Yeah, I read it. Not sure what to say because it's such a heavyweight topic in terms of subject and setting.
Saying I enjoyed it seems stupid and wrong somehow. It was very readable for a non-academic like myself. Sometimes certain books can be a bit of an intellectual firework display. Thankfully Man's Search for Meaning wasn't like that.
I thought there was probably a lot of truth in the idea that it's a sense of purpose that keeps us going, and that suffering is as relative as everything else.

Posted on 20 Feb 2013 22:08:43 GMT
monica says:
Nothing wrong, never mind stupid, at all at all about saying you enjoy the sort of book of that isn't sold at airports. (And I'm sorry if it was my teasing post in April that's led to your feeling embarrassed.) You make me want to re-read it, as it's been a while and I suspect I might see it differently now . . . and fair play to you for reading the sort of thing you're not used to doing. So few do, alas . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 00:02:52 GMT
Chris says:
It was tagged as self help when I first came across it in a list of books. Now I've actually read it, I look at that comment and think, my God, self help, are you mad?
I suppose it's partly to do with the fact that we have a totally different attitude to "personal growth" on this side of the pond. So to lump a book like that in with all that corny nonsense isn't just reductive, but insulting.

Posted on 21 Feb 2013 08:59:14 GMT
Sou'Wester says:
I'm reminded of a comment heard many years ago: If you need a self help book you're probably beyond help!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 14:48:02 GMT
Chris says:
I guess that's true in terms of people expecting to be transformed into a great success, but I'm not sure there's no help to be had at all. I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't believe there must be at least a shred of something worthwhile hiding in amongst all the cobblers.
The reason I think so is because it's certainly true for development of better musicianship that subtle adjustments to the way we think about things leads to measurable improvements in performance. And the improvements can be seen on a graph.
Just something as simple as taking the mind out of the hands and focussing it on the sound coming in through the ears can make a noticeable difference to expression and timing. I've posted a few ideas on what I believe to be effective practice techniques, and from the positive feedback I've received, I believe they genuinely do help people a little. I suppose that's a sort of self help, so i wouldn't like to dismiss it all as worthless.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 15:47:29 GMT
J. M. Bell says:
The answer will not be found in a book. All any self-help book will do is give you ideas to reflect on. The motivation to change and the action has to come from you. That will make a difference to your life.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 16:16:24 GMT
Chris says:
That's all I'd expect. I know there are no magic words that instantly transform a person's fortunes without them doing a lick of work.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2013 20:42:43 GMT
The Art of Being Brilliant: Transform Your Life by Doing What Works For You
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  18 Apr 2012
Latest post:  22 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions