Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Found Footage Style Books (if you know what I mean)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2014 21:21:27 GMT
monica says:
Ooh, well said. More 2 a.m. literary criticism, please. (The biggest letdown in HoL for me was the ending: 'Love conquers all' doesn't often work as a theme and it never works with characters one doesn't care about no matter how interesting their adventures might be.)

If you don't know this one, you might enjoy it:

http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/eapoe/bl-eapoe-manu.htm

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 00:04:22 GMT
Chris says:
Yep, you're right. Read a bit more and it definitely hasn't survived the operation. Thought I could get away with just focussing on the main thread but no...

Posted on 1 Feb 2014 15:18:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2014 15:18:21 GMT
The printed book is better. Normalising the typography - and the phalanx of little clues it contains - is self-defeating.

Posted on 1 Feb 2014 14:57:09 GMT
Chris says:
Is it wrong to ask for recommendations then bitch about them at 2 in the morning? :)
Think I'll have another crack at HOL now I'm over the fact it's not going to pan out the way I'd have liked.

Posted on 1 Feb 2014 01:44:28 GMT
That does sound rather disappointing. I haven't read "House of Leaves", but the accompanying Poe album "Haunted" is one of my favorites ...

Posted on 1 Feb 2014 01:35:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2014 01:38:19 GMT
Chris says:
So I loaded a copy of House of Leaves into some software called OpenBook which converts scanned material into standard text that a screen reader can read. It turns upside down/sideways text the right way up, and basically just normalizes everything.
Started off thinking it was a brilliant book, and exactly what I was looking for, but at 200 pages in am starting to lose patience to the point where I'm becoming angry.
I'm guessing all the weird formatting keeps people interested because the three main story elements aren't much on their own.
The house part of the story had me hooked til I realised the author wasn't going to populate it with anything interesting and so instead pads the book out with what is to me without the benefit of the visuals, just a sub Chuck Palahniuk B plot, and phoney academic footnotey drivel. So disappointed right now. Was really looking forward to getting inside that strange house, and there's not going to be anything in there... is there? Just a featureless void. Seems even the growling clawed thing is just the boring house getting rid of anything of interest, like that in itself is somehow scary. No, it isnt, it's lack of imagination. Sigh. Should go to bed, grumpy. Sorry.

Posted on 29 Jan 2014 19:40:11 GMT
Epistolary novels aren't technically 'found footage', otherwise Clarissa and The Color Purple would count too.

I think Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves is probably the ultimate example of the genre - should have mentioned it before.

Posted on 29 Jan 2014 13:36:59 GMT
J.Yasimoto says:
Oh, and of course Frankenstein and Dracula!

Posted on 29 Jan 2014 13:31:59 GMT
J.Yasimoto says:
I remember reading a Lovecraft book which was a kind of "found footage" (manuscripts). Can't remember exactly which one is was, The Call of Cthulhu maybe? Anyway, very creepy.

Posted on 28 Jan 2014 23:18:24 GMT
Chris says:
Have a couple of Vonnegut books on my all-time favourites list, but haven't read Hocus Pocus so looking forward to that.

Sadly Monica I personally won't be able to read House of Leaves, if it's the book I'm thinking of with strange layouts involving spiral writing and stuff. I am using a screen reader for everything these days. It struggles with gas bills, wouldn't like to guess what it'd make of spirals :).

Posted on 28 Jan 2014 16:46:55 GMT
Try "Hocus Pocus" by Kurt Vonnegut, probably my favorite Vonnegut book. It purports to be assembled from note scraps written in prison.

Posted on 28 Jan 2014 16:21:48 GMT
monica says:
Chris, I've a feeling I've seen this device used more often in short stories than in novels. . . House of Leaves presents as I remember documents left behind by a couple of characters in it, though.

Posted on 28 Jan 2014 00:38:00 GMT
Chris says:
Funny enough I've been on a Stephen King binge lately after finding out the Bachman books are pretty good. Read almost everything pre 90s with the exception of Carrie. Was avoiding it probably due to seeing clips of the movie ages ago and thinking it looked crap. Just started the book tonight. So far so good. Have WWZ standing by too.
Thought there'd be a ton of books that would fit the bill, but can't actually think of or find many at all. AskJeevesing is producing nothing; not sure what to put in the search field. Can't decide whether or not Dr Moreau fits this category. Definitely has that vibe about it to begin with, but can't rembmer how it ends. Does someone find him drifting in a lifeboat with a diary on him, or does he just write it down as a book? The former would qualify, but not the latter. Suppose diary of Anne Frank fits as a non fiction, but not sure whether it should be included. Lumping that book in with this trivial stuff seems wrong.

Posted on 27 Jan 2014 19:34:48 GMT
Carrie and World War Z are two examples off the top of my head.

Initial post: 27 Jan 2014 19:32:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jan 2014 20:24:38 GMT
Chris says:
Not sure what the official title is for the novel equivalent of the 'found footage' movie genre, but you know the sort of stuff I mean where some documentary material is left by a person or persons who have gone missing or been killed. Movies of this sort are usually horrors such as Blair Witch and Cloverfield, but what about books? Any good ones out there?
Off the top of my head, the only two I can think of are A Strange Manuscript found in a Copper Cylinder by James De Mille, and House on the Borderlands by William Hope Hodgson. Enjoyed both, and the 'found footage' thing in general. So any others please?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  27 Jan 2014
Latest post:  16 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions