Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Book you are most looking forward to in 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 178 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2012 11:27:45 GMT
I. Christie says:
I bet there will be a change in the ethnicity of at least one character...

Posted on 14 Jan 2012 14:31:09 GMT
Evelina says:
"The Falcons of Fire and Ice" by Karen Maitland :) Waiting impatiently...................

Posted on 14 Jan 2012 17:06:09 GMT
S Riaz says:
@ Ewelina Kowalska, I love Karen Maitland's books. That isn't for pre-order yet - any idea of when it is to be released/what it is about?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2012 20:55:55 GMT
kermit 333 says:
Riaz - couldn't find any idea of when the new book is out either - but karenmaitland.com mentions it - maybe an idea to keep chcking her website?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2012 21:18:56 GMT
JW says:
Hi all. I hadn't heard of this either. Just found details of it on the penguin site. ePub eBook : 16 Aug 2012:
http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780141956893,00.html

Posted on 15 Jan 2012 07:26:32 GMT
S Riaz says:
Thanks kermit 333 and thank you JW for the useful link. So we have to wait until August? Never mind - I know which book I will be reading on my summer holidays now then!

Posted on 16 Jan 2012 09:43:00 GMT
I am excited about 'The Great Debacle: Book Three of The Ashoka Chronicles' which will be available in February 2012. I want to find out if Planet Earth is destroyed by the nuclear holocaust of 2019-2021 or if The Buddha Conspiracy succeeds in opening the portal to the Fourth Dimension before it is too late.

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 08:47:00 GMT
I Readalot says:
Another one for the 'definitely am going to buy as soon as it is published' list. I have avoided checking for Carlos Ruiz Zafon't novels as I knew about a year before about The Angel's Game and became very impatient. However the next in the saga of the cemetry of forgotton books 'The Prisoner of Heaven' is due to be published on 21st June. It begins a year after 'Shadow of the Wind' and involves a mysterious stranger looking for a copy of 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. I am sure there are going to be a fair few excited readers out there.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 08:51:14 GMT
I Readalot says:
@Raven - I checked yesterday and 'The Twelve' is being proofed although the copies haven't come through yet, maybe we won't have to wait too long to get our hands on a copy - and annoy a lot of people in the process!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 11:02:32 GMT
Raven says:
@I Readalot Woohoo! We will be mighty unpopular if we get our hands on these- ha ha! Just come across a couple of other goodies for this year: A Death in the Family by Karl Ove Knausgaard being touted as a Norwegian Proust and I've acquired a copy of The Street Sweeper by Elliot Pearlman which according to my Faber rep is the best book they have ever published! High praise indeed- will be reading this forthwith....

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 11:13:24 GMT
I Readalot says:
@ Raven, definitely unpopular, but do we care? That is high praise considering their author list, including one of my personal faves Barbara Kingsolver who wrote my all time favourite Orange prizewinner 'The Lacuna'. Must look out for it.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 11:34:48 GMT
You will not be unpopular with me, I will be hounding you for juicy details on all these books - The Twelve, and the new Ruiz Zafon - I didn't realise he was writing another!!! I wasn't as keen on The Angel's Game as The Shadow Of The Wind, but I will definitely read another. Gah - I want your job!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 13:05:12 GMT
I Readalot says:
Nice to know Karen and I am sure we will oblige without giving anything important away. I knew there was another 'Barcelona' novel to come but looking at the time it took between the first 2 I wasn't expecting it this year. I too preferred 'Shadow of the Wind' and as this one follows on from that I have high hopes. I have his second YA novel 'The Midnight Palace' sitting on my to read pile but other books keep getting in the way. I really must read it when I have finished the 2 I am reading at the moment.

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 13:16:02 GMT
The Laird says:
I am really looking forward to the next Captain Thomas adventure.
I enjoyed the first one tremendously.
The Dastardly Captain Thomas
A good old fashioned adventure yarn.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 14:52:57 GMT
I've not read either YA novel, although they are on my wishlist. I might read those to get in the mood for the new Barcelona book!

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 15:15:40 GMT
Ben Kane says:
My goodness, not that many spam posts - how nice!

I'm really looking forward to Giles Kristian's new book, set during the English Civil War. It's called The Bleeding Land.

Also high on my list is the the stand alone Viking novel Crowbone by Robert Low, which is loosely linked to his magnificent Oathsworn quartet of novels.

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 20:52:23 GMT
H.Moh says:
Oh there is so much im looking forward to. I can't wait to read Wanted: Undead or Alive by Kerrelyn Sparks, and then there is My Lord Vampire by Alexandra Ivy and Taking the shot by Jaci Burton and Protector by Catherine Mann, you get the picture. My bank account will not be thanking me but hey reading is my one guilty indulgence and I guess it's not such a bad vice to have.

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 06:59:17 GMT
S Riaz says:
Same here H. Moh! I have so many books on pre-order it will take me all year to read them probably...

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2012 07:14:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2012 07:29:24 GMT
Furny says:
In the i paper yesterday was an article about Waterstones 11.
"Eleven authors with debut novels out this year that Waterstones expects to achieve critical and commercial success."
They are.....

1) The Panopticon-Jenni Fagan= 3rd May
2) Absolution- Patrick Flannery= 1st March
3) Shelter-Frances Greenslade= 2nd Feb
4) The Art Of Fielding-Chad Harbach= 19th Jan
5) The Snow Child- Eowyn Ivey= 16th Feb
6) The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry- Rachel Joyce= 15th March
7) The Land Of Decoration-Grace McCleen= 1st March
8) Signs Of Life-Anna Raverat= 6th April
9)The Lifeboat- Charlotte Rogan= 29th March
10)The Ages Of Miracles-Karen Thompson Walker= 21st June
11) Care Of Wooden Floors- Will Wiles= 6th Feb

I thought this list may be of interest to you all to see what you think.
Personally I only have 'The Lifeboat' and 'The Snow Child' on my wish list so far but I am going to look up the others!.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2012 10:14:44 GMT
Thanks @Furny - more books to add to my ever-increasing wishlist!!

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 11:20:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2012 11:31:09 GMT
S Riaz says:
Thanks Furny - will have a look. Maybe you should post them on the bookclub site too? The like the look of the last 3 on the list best.

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 11:36:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2012 11:39:04 GMT
Raven says:
I can vouch for The Art of Fielding, The Panopticon and The Lifeboat as being well worth a read. The Land of Decoration was ultimately quite twee but if you like a gentle read this could be up your street and the main character is quite endearing- she has a wonderful view of the world...
However, I would put a big question mark by the inclusion of Signs of Life which I personally thought was self-indulgent and badly written and the proof of which ended up in my paper recycling bin! I'm just about to read The Snow Child which even if disappointing, the book is a thing of beauty! Absolution is also lurking in my proof pile so will give this one a whirl as well...

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 15:05:09 GMT
S Riaz says:
I thought Care of Wooden Floors looked good and I am really looking forward to The Lifeboat. I will leave Signs of Life out of my pre-order list then! Having really enjoyed Witness the night, I am hoping Baby Love is as good.

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 15:18:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2012 15:19:06 GMT
Damaskcat says:
I'm looking forward to this - River of Destiny - I always enjoy Barbara Erskine's books. Then there's the new Daisy Dalrymple next month - Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple Mystery 20) and I have the latest Elly Griffiths on my Kindle - A Room Full of Bones: A Ruth Galloway Investigation (Ruth Galloway 4)

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 15:33:45 GMT
S Riaz says:
They all sound good Damaskcat. If anyone liked Alison Weir's novel Innocent Traitor, she has a sequel due out this year called A Dangerous Inheritance.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  62
Total posts:  178
Initial post:  1 Jan 2012
Latest post:  11 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions