Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Posted on 20 Apr 2012 12:28:12 BDT
ajk77 says:
Mystery Mile before Sweet Danger certainly LEP but Amanda doesn't feature in so many books that it's a big deal really.
In the old guard Christie-Sayers-Allingham mode there were also Patricia Wentworth (Miss Silver much like Miss Marple except it's never one of the couples) and as someone said Ngaio Marsh. Georgette Heyer wrote a few crime classics like Envious Casca and Death in the Stocks. Michael Innes was another with 'Death in the President's Lodgings'. Would Father Brown count as cosy or do short stories not count?

More recently, how about Amanda Cross's Kate Fansler books? Much written about McCall's Botswana series but the gentle Sunday Philosophers Club also has its appeal. Emma Lathen had a financial crimes series featuring a leading banker John Thatcher. And Dorothy Simpson's Inspector Thanet is a modern answer to Appleby, Allen et al.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 18:54:04 BDT
LEP says:
Has anyone alreeady mentioned Margery Allingingham's Albert Campion series? Very good, in my opinion by far superior to Lord Peter Whimsy books by Sayers. Do read them in order though, as Campion meets and marries his future wife in them and they follow on.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 15:45:05 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I enjoyed those too - his Mrs Pargeter series are good too though I'm not so keen on Charles Paris or the Blotto and Twinks series.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 11:03:33 BDT
Why not try The Fethering Mystery's by Simon Brett. A partnership of a modern Miss Marple and Columbo sidekick.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 21:38:15 BDT
David says:
The books by Lesley Cookman are well worth reading.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 19:18:39 BDT
Leg It!
A book that falls inbetween crime and humour. If you wait till tomorrow you might even be able to take advantage of a free offer! Also worth looking out for Christopher Brookmyre.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 19:03:12 BDT
ALEX2007 says:
livia washburn has a great cosy read series..

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 15:40:23 BDT
You can also see the website - http://thepartybyjdcarter.com/

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 15:39:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2012 15:39:46 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 15:05:23 BDT
And thanks for the mention of the Lord Peter Whimsey books--Was trying to remember that character name yesterday and could not for the life of me recall it!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 15:04:19 BDT
They may not have been formatted over. It can take a long while to get the book rights worked out. Then they either have to be scanned in or retyped in as some of the older stuff isn't on portable formats.

I didn't care for the McCall Smith either, but they are definitely cozy. They were just not humorous and a bit plodding (I only tried the first.)

I like Kaye C. Hill although she's not a big name and the covers are absolutely the WORST. Good humor. Let's see. I'm sure someone mentioned M. C. Beaton and my very favorite Elizabeth Peters (either Vicky Bliss or Amelia Peabody.)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012 20:47:05 GMT
LEP says:
I love her Albert Campion novels. So much better, in my humble opinion, than Lord Peter Whimsey books and Agatha Christie's books.

I've no idea why they aren't on Kindle. Perhaps you ought to contact the publishers and suggest it.

Posted on 23 Mar 2012 18:55:51 GMT
Janie P says:
I've posted this elsewhere but does anyone know why no books by Margery Allingham (one of the Queens of Cosy) are available on Kindle? It seems a strange omission.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2012 12:04:13 GMT
Damaskcat says:
I will give them a try, thank you :-)
Your reply to Damaskcat's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2012 11:14:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Mar 2012 11:17:25 GMT
They are not so different to her Sookie Stackhouse books, southern setting with characters that you really warm to, there are just no vampires, werewolves, witches, faeries or anything else supernatural!

Meant to say that there is less blood and violence too!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2012 08:00:29 GMT
Damaskcat says:
I haven't read Aurora Teagarden - I must have a look at those.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2012 07:59:42 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Sou'Wester - I think it's the lack of cynicism which attracts me as much as anything.

Posted on 21 Mar 2012 19:45:21 GMT
I like McCall Smith's detective books, I have read the first 5 and have another 4 on my shelf which I have had for a while, I am now tempted to pick up no. 6.

As for cosy(ish) crime, I really enjoyed the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries by Charlaine Harris. 8 books in 2 very heavy compendia, but worth a read.

Posted on 21 Mar 2012 16:26:52 GMT
Sou'Wester says:
I remember reading the first page or so of "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" and thinking it read like something written by a child, but then realising that the writing was actually very clever. There's very little cynicism or fashionable angst in McCall's books but there is a great deal of perception and compassion.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2012 15:29:45 GMT
Damaskcat says:
It is an art - I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2012 15:22:08 GMT
Maria says:
I too like Alexander McCall Smith's books. Not every author can write about everyday events so well as to make interesting reading. Keeping it simple without patronising and boring is an art in itself.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2012 15:14:14 GMT
Damaskcat says:
I disagree with you completely about Alexander McCall Smith. As others have said the simple style is very deceptive. The crimes may seem nothing to you but they are things that happen in real life to ordinary people and can make lives a misery. If you equate crime with violence, blood and bad language then no you won't like them but don't take simple language as meaning the books are aimed at those who don't or can't read.

Posted on 20 Mar 2012 09:29:13 GMT
JW says:
I love the Flavia De Luce series by Alan Bradley:
1. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery
2. The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (FLAVIA DE LUCE MYSTERY)
3. A Red Herring Without Mustard (FLAVIA DE LUCE MYSTERY)
4. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows: A Flavia de Luce Mystery

Posted on 20 Mar 2012 08:02:01 GMT
My favourite cosy/cozy crime novels are 'The Tea Shop Mysteries' by Laura Childs. Set in Charleston, South Carolina, they are admittedly a little bit 'twee' in places but very nicely written.

The 'Coffee House' mystery series by Cleo Coyle is pretty decent- but the earlier ones in the series are the best.

I also enjoyed the 'Knitting Mystery' series by Maggie Sefton- based in Colorado.
Along a similar theme are the 'Needlecraft Mysteries' by Monica Ferris.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 20:51:55 GMT
I've just read the first two Kate Shackleton mysteries by Frances Brody ---very cosy but really well written too. An earlier reviewer mentioned Georgette Heyer's crime novels --all really great --my favourite cosys really--- except for' Penhallow' which is oddly nasty ...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  28 Aug 2009
Latest post:  20 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions