Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Urban Fantasy - Karen Chance

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jul 2010 17:00:02 BDT
B. Booth says:
I love Urban fantasy. My favourite author is Karen Chance but she isn't releasing anything else until next year and I'm in need of something to fill the time.
I liked Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments trilogy but have since moved on from Teen/YA books. I want something adult. I've tried Kelley Armstrong since there seems to be a lot of hype around her (I read Bitten) and I found it boring, there was only just barely a spark. I also recently bought Silver Bourne by Patricia Briggs (I think I missed the first book in the series by accident but it didn't seem to matter) and was surprised at how incredibly dull it was. These are authors that are supposed to be good too, but they just do nothing for me. I just don't want to waste any more money on stuff I don't like.
So, recommendations of authors/books that are urban fantasy would be really good, hopefully what I said I like and don't like will help. A book with very vivid characters who seem to actually come to life and with lots of action would be great. I also like fiesty heroines.
Ty, in advance.

Posted on 27 Jul 2010 18:01:32 BDT
Fiona S says:
Suggest you see the "Urban Fantasy Recommendations?" thread. There are some excellent recommendations on there.

However, if you're finding Kelley Armstrong & Patricia Briggs boring you may struggle...

Posted on 27 Jul 2010 20:17:29 BDT
B. Booth says:
I really can't believe that there are no authors out there who write urban fantasy but aren't like Briggs or Armstrong. There have to be some who are like Karen Chance (which basically means they write good urban fantasy). It's not a miracle I'm asking for.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2010 20:58:10 BDT
justjulie says:
I love Karen Chance. Although, I also loved Kelley Armstrong and Patricia Briggs too. You should try Jeaniene Frost's Night huntress series or Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. Maybe even check out Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books.

Posted on 27 Jul 2010 21:15:42 BDT
Lannister says:
I enjoyed the Riley Jensen Guardian series by Keri Arthur. Riley is a fiesty half werewolf/half vampire. (Note: there is a fair bit of sex in these books, so perhaps they're not for the prudish). I don't think Keri Arthur is as well known as some urban fantasy, but her books are fun.

Posted on 28 Jul 2010 00:57:02 BDT
Miss J. Eyre says:
Well... I like Patricia Briggs' books and Kelley Armstrong's, and found Karen Chance's a bit OTT with too many frenzied action scenes and not enough character development, but each to their own! Admittedly, Silver Borne isn't Briggs' best, but it is the 5th in the series so you would have missed an awful lot of back story.

The best urban fantasy series I've read so far is the Kate Daniels one by Ilona Andrews. It's much more gritty than most others, with plenty of action, black humour and a fiesty heroine. The first 1 is Magic Bites: A Kate Daniels Novel: 1: A Kate Daniels Novel, Book 1 (out in the UK in Sept, but you can get the US edition 2nd hand). There's only a little romance in book 1, but it's been developed well throughout the series so far and complements the plot without taking over.

Other action packed urban fantasy series you could check out are: Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan 1) and Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks Sequence)

Posted on 28 Jul 2010 11:30:53 BDT
B. Booth says:
Thanks for the suggestions, I've actually been hovering around Jeaniene Frost and Keri Arthur for the past day and am kinda swayed to Keri Arthur seeing as one of her books has 5* which is hard to achieve. I've already read the first of K.M.M's fever series and thought it was pretty good just not enough to keep me interested for the second. I'm also gonna check out the Kate Daniels books. So thankyou for this :)

Posted on 28 Jul 2010 11:35:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jul 2010 11:42:29 BDT
B. Booth says:
Oh, I have a question: what order does Jeaniene Frosts Huntress series go in?

Posted on 28 Jul 2010 22:39:19 BDT
Lynne Hawkes says:
Hi,
I love Jeaniene Frost. Night Huntress go in this order: Halfway To The Grave, One Foot In The Grave, At Grave's End, Destined For An Early Grave. There is also a Night Huntress World spin off: First Drop Of Crimson, featuring 2 minor characters from the series, but does also have Bones and Cat, who take a back seat in this one.

Posted on 29 Jul 2010 10:37:32 BDT
bookeholic says:
I totally agree with the suggestion of Ilona Andrews - brilliant books just as funny as karen chance. Also give Jim Butcher a go his urban fantasy is hard to beat and is really funny although am surprised you didn't care for Patricia Briggs (horses for courses I suppose). Also just a suggestion but try the library this wont cost you anything cause it seems a shame not to try the different authors just cause your scared to waste the money if they're not good.

Posted on 30 Jul 2010 22:58:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jul 2010 23:12:40 BDT
N. Murphy says:
I love the Dory series and the Cassie series by Karen Chance. I actually enjoyed Kelley Armstrong's Women Of The Otherworld series but i suppose its not for everyone. I'd definitely second the Jim Butcher Urban Fantasy series, The Dresden Files as i thought they were excellent, and there are about 11 books so far so if you're interested, you'll have enough to keep you going. I'd also recommend the Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin, also a favourite of mine, which involves vampire assassins, lots of action and humour and a kickass heroine. Or there's the Jill Kismet series by Lilith Saintcrow which is pretty good too. Saintcrow also has another series whose character is called Dante Valentine, though i haven't read these to say if they are worth reading or not but you could give them a try. OK, i know this next one isn't urban fantasy but i'd still say they're worth reading and it falls in the supernatural/fantasy genre. Its the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, starting with Soulless and then Changeless, followed by Blameless out later this year, and is set in Victorian times. It has vampires, werewolves, evil scientist types, a fiesty heroine and was surprisingly quite good.

Posted on 1 Aug 2010 21:01:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Aug 2010 21:09:20 BDT
B. Booth says:
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I've been looking them up and they sound great. I'm liking jaz parks -once bitten twice shy. And Ilona Andrews which I was gonna have to read at some point - Amazon keeps reccomending her! I'm thinking about Jim Butcher too but am unsure that there might be too much humour and dark/serious enough?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2010 21:14:14 BDT
F. Lawless says:
Try the Jaz Parks books. They are full of action and have a very fiesty heroine and are fast paced so should keep you interested.

Posted on 1 Aug 2010 21:37:53 BDT
Lynne Hawkes says:
Jim Butcher is also brilliant. They are not spoofs at all, some dark twisty plots, with just enough humour to counterpoint the dark bits.

Posted on 2 Aug 2010 12:41:24 BDT
Sophia says:
I wouldn't write off Kelley Armstrong on the basis of one book. I started with Dime Store Magic rather than Bitten and if I'd read the books in order I don't think I would have continued. I prefer the later books and the Werewolf novels I feel are the weakest.

I wholeheartedly stand behind the recommendation for the Rachel Morgan books. I read the first three together and regularly check to see when the next in the series is coming out. There are no cliffhangers but you really want to know where the story is going next.

Hope that helps a little.

Posted on 2 Aug 2010 13:51:31 BDT
R. Winters says:
Try the Author Wen Spencer
She is a very good writer.

I have also enjoyed Jim Butcher, Jeanienne Frost, Karen Chance, Patricia Briggs, Patricia Bray, Rob Thurman, Jennifer Armintrout, Ilona Andrews, Richelle Mead, Rachel Caine, Rachel Vincent, C E Murphy, Carrie Vaughn, Kat Richardson, Jenna Black, Michelle Sagara, Eileen Wilks, Barb Hendee, Jennifer Rardin, Kim Harrison, Keri Arthur, Tanya Huff. The list is endless as I am a complete fantasy/sci-fi bookworm.

Charlaine Harris' Grave series is a very good interesting read. In fact the Charlaine Harris back catalogue Lily Bard or Aurora Teagarden murder mysteries are a good change from fantasy occassionally.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2010 09:13:24 BDT
Bookaneer says:
I am very fond of "classic fantasy" (Tolkien), but have developed a penchant for urban fantasy lately. I would suggest China Mieville's King Rat, Kate Griffin's Matthew Swift series (A Madness of Angels, The Midnight Mayor), Sergey Lukyanenko's Night Watch series (Russian Urban Fantasy) and, of course, Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. They are rather dark and not particularly girly, but I must admit I don't know the books you mention B.B., so I can't compare them to anything you know. About wasting money: how about the public library? You can always buy the books later if you like them - if not you will not have wasted any money ;-)

Posted on 1 Nov 2010 10:48:09 GMT
RiotKitten says:
Ilona Andrews One the Edge series is very good, give it it try, and the follow up Bayou Moon is even better.

Posted on 2 Nov 2010 20:20:35 GMT
How about Charles de Lint? Fabulous books, would recommend any of the Newford books though most especially Someplace to be Flying, Trader, the Onion Girl and Widdershins. Maybe more urban fairy tale than urban fantasy but still wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2010 20:56:12 GMT
Have you tried John Levitt? Excellent stuff.

Maria

Posted on 2 Nov 2010 20:57:32 GMT
I've started a Charles de Lint too--it seems quite good so far. Ignore the very ugly covers.

Maria

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2010 21:13:03 GMT
I might be a bit bias on this, but there is a new author out there. English urban fantasy with loads of bit - Sarah Luddington, The Prophecy.. Very adult and loads of fight. If you like Karen Chance you should like this.

Posted on 3 Nov 2010 10:47:37 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Nov 2010 10:49:38 GMT]

Posted on 3 Nov 2010 12:22:43 GMT
Sammy says:
I don't like Karan Chance either. Couldn't even finish her book. Even forgot what it's called.

And The Mercy Thompson series Patricia Briggs is VERY good. BUT uou need to read from the beginning because otherwise it's harder to follow.

BUT I'm not recommening that. I'm recommending the Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neill.
The heroine has GREAT spunk, attitude and it's has it's great chuckling moments. I bought the first two books together, and normally I like to drag a book out because they finish to quickly but I couldn't stop myself with this one. Plus I earned the third book from [url=http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=sammyz1]Points2Shop[/url] for free. STILL loving this series.

Posted on 15 Nov 2010 10:48:38 GMT
S. Dyer says:
One piece of advise, go back and read the first book in the Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs) books, Silver Borne is actually the 5th book, so you may well have missed 4, which are quite important.

I loved Karen Chance, so would recommend Patricia Briggs from the start.

Also, the True Blood books are pretty good.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fantasy discussion forum (678 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  27 Jul 2010
Latest post:  23 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions