Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Suggestions for books? (Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong etc.)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Oct 2011 20:15:57 BDT
Spiky_Roses says:
I have recently run out of books and am desperate for some suggestions!
I love:
Kim Harrison Hollows series
Kelley Armstrong Bitten etc.
Deborah Harkness A Discovery of Witches

I like some of the over abundant vampire/fallen angel/other supernatural teen books, but only if they're reasonably well written.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted on 28 Oct 2011 21:00:44 BDT
If you're interested in 'historical' fantasy, this Scottish epic might work for you:

The Blackgloom Bounty
The Regents of Rhum

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2011 21:11:16 BDT
Spiky_Roses says:
Thanks, more interested in the kim harrison etc. (she's my fav. author), but I might give those a go :)

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 01:14:17 GMT
Tabbygray says:
Not sure if this will suit you but I'm a great Kelly Armstrong fan and I also like:
Patricia Briggs - Mercy Thompson books
Diana Rowland
L J Smith - not The Vampire Diaries series, the Night World series is much better although it's more Young Adult than Adult
Hope they're some good

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 10:36:12 GMT
Spiky_Roses says:
Thanks, they all look good but I may have to save up a bit to buy them all! Maybe there will be a sale round christmas?

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 17:21:33 GMT
Chloe Neil - Merit Series - these are amazing I highly recommend them
Also as previously stated - Patricia Briggs - Mercy Thompson
and if you want a different twist on the whole vampire/ werewolf genre try Gail Carriger's - Parasol Protectorate series. You wont regret it!
Additionally if you cant wait till xmas to read these in paperback form/ need to save up, in the meantime you can find most of them on www.epubbud.com for free. All you need is internet access and adobe reader and you're sorted.
Have fun.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 17:53:31 GMT
Try Keri Arthur books, very similar to Kelly Armstrong.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 20:50:36 GMT
Spiky_Roses says:
Thanks to all, I really want to read pretty much all of these but does anyone know of any good cheap books as well?

Posted on 31 Oct 2011 19:14:49 GMT
J. Thorn says:
My new fantasy novel has just been published on Kindle. 'Brighton Sucks' is an Urban Fantasy with plenty of action, some tongue-in-cheek ideas on vampirism, and a healthy smattering of steamy sex. Only £1.71 as a kindle ebook

Brighton Sucks

Posted on 31 Oct 2011 19:19:53 GMT
N. Murphy says:
Jaz Parks series - Jennifer Rardin
Dory Basarab series/Casssie Palmer series - Karen Chance
Chicagoland vampires series - Chloe Neill
Jill Kismet series - Lilith Saintcrow
Kate Daniels series - Ilona Andrews
Sabina Kane series - Jaye Wells
Parasol Protectorate series - Gail Carriger
Mercy Thompson series - Patricia Briggs
Negotiator trilogy - C E Murphy
Blood Song - Cat Adams
Black Wings - Christina Henry
Alex Craft series - Kalayna Price
Night Huntress series - Jeaniene Frost
Psy/Changeling series - Nalini Singh

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2011 00:01:35 GMT
Tabbygray says:
Some inexpensive books I've really enjoyed:
Linda Welch: Along Came A Demon/ The Demon Hunters/ Dead Demon Walking
Amanda Hocking: Hollowland (young adult but I enjoyed it)
Jon Rosenberg: The Unicorn Crisis
Lexi Revellian: Replica (odd but interesting)
Claire Farrell: Thirst
Mary Naylus: The Dresskeeper
Hope there's something there you like

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2011 12:30:16 GMT
Spiky_Roses says:
Thanks that''s really helpful :)

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 13:21:53 GMT
Dan says:
Hi,
You may want to try stray by Rachel Vincent it's book one out of five but they were really good. Every opportunity I get I always recommend Rob Thurman she's an excellent writer I love her Cal and Nico books. Happy reading.

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 14:11:00 GMT
I was going to suggest Ilona Andrews and Patricia Briggs, but I see that many have beaten me to the punch! You might like Magic to the Bone although I found them kind of depressing.

Dog Days (Ace Fantasy Book) by John Levitt was a very good book/series.

Maria
Amazon author page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B002M3FL16

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 14:18:36 GMT
Oh wait, I thought of another one if you have a Kindle:

Straight to Hell (The Lilith Straight Series) A little cozier than Kim Harrison, but I think it's got some great tension and plotting. It does end on a cliffhanger.

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 18:40:55 GMT
Can I highly recmmend The Dawn Herald (The Three Worlds Saga) whilst the first novel is a bit light on romance, this is a highly original novel set in a fantastic magical world with strong female leads (the dawn herald, and her 12-year old daughter). A bit different, but you will love it! I did.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2011 16:22:41 GMT
wendywoolley says:
i have read all these books and they are great try looking for them second habd in good condition thats what i do to keep price down though my husband is buying me a kindle so that should help with cost lol

Posted on 3 Nov 2011 11:34:22 GMT
Luthor says:
There's a new one out - the Broken and the Damned (The Legend of Silvermane) - It's only available in eBook until the paperback comes out in a couple of weeks, but it's a great read. Really recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2011 21:11:53 GMT
LEP says:
Go onto Amazon Search, Books, above. Type in one of the authors you like and then click on a relevant book. Scroll about halfway down the page and you should see a horizontal listing of 'like' books. Some will be by the author, but there should be others.

Posted on 9 Nov 2011 15:31:59 GMT
Batmom says:
This review suggested Darwin's Children

for fans of Kelly Armstrong.

http://thelifeoffiction.blogspot.com/2011/11/darwins-children-by-natasha-larry.html

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2011 09:49:47 GMT
Hilly says:
Try lilith SaintCrow, Dante Valentine Series.

Posted on 16 Dec 2011 00:35:38 GMT
I'm giving this one a go: Grave Witch (Alex Craft Novels) Looks like it might be along the lines of what you're looking for!

Maria
author of: Under Witch Aura (Moon Shadow Series)

Posted on 24 Dec 2011 22:47:23 GMT
Katy May says:
In addition to the Patricia Briggs books (which I really enjoyed) and the Ilona Andrews series (fantastic), I recently read first Grave on the Right (Darynda Jones) and loved that too. Also good are the Kristen Cashore books - I am indebted to the rather odd looking man who works in my local branch of Waterstones and recommended them, definitely worth a read.

Posted on 5 Jan 2012 00:29:20 GMT
How about the Frank Tuttle Markhat books? These are a little more...oh, I dunno. They're kind of like the Dresden Files, but a more compact plot and a bit more on the fantasy than urban fantasy side? Dead Man's Rain: The Markhat Files, book 2

At any rate, I enjoyed them. They are a little shorter than the average novel so be aware of that if it matter to you.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 19:14:14 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 7 Jan 2012 01:59:56 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fantasy discussion forum (696 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  28 Oct 2011
Latest post:  13 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions