Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Need help identifying a series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Mar 2009 20:53:44 GMT
G. Kealy says:
Hi,
Way back about 8 years ago I read a series of fantasy novels I loaned from the local library. I was 11 at the time and thus have forgotten the name of them but as I really enjoyed them I wanted to revisit them. If anyone can tell me the name of them I'd be very grateful, I'll describe the plot for you.
There were these two races, if I remember correctly they were the Spartans and Patricians or something like this. They each had forms of powerful magic (for the Patricians it was in the form of tatoos). The Spartans were the good guys and imprisoned the Patricians in a labyrinthine prison to reform them, but some disaster happened to the Spartans and they disappeared, the prison turned wild and the Patricians struggled through to the exit, embittered rather than reformed. The book itself is set after this and follows a Patrician forerunner going through different worlds (one had lots of floating islands, another was subterranean and hellish, a third was a big ocean planet with powerful sea-dragons) in preparation for the larger population to emerge and pretty much enslave everyone. Along the way he meets an assassin trying to kill the child of some really powerful people and the kid's man-servant turns out to be the last Spartan. I think his name was Alfred. They also met a labour movement leader on the world of floating islands whose name was Limbeck or something to that effect.
That's about all I can remember about them, I know it's very disjointed but those are the important details of the series according to an 11 year old! Also there were a good few books in the series, I think I got as far as book 6.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2009 21:44:24 GMT
Deathgate Cycle by Weis and Hickman, first book was called 'Dragon Wing' I believe

Posted on 29 Mar 2009 21:20:26 BDT
Maybe you could help me out too please? I remember a trilogy (I think!) about 2 powerful sisters who fought and they rode giant eagles. The artwork on the cover was amazing (if a little trampy) but that's how I remembered the birds.

I'm afraid I don't know anything more than that as I must have read them 20 years ago - they could well have been a bit of trash that didn't last at all unlike others I originally read around the same time like Eddings and Feist.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2009 14:32:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2009 14:34:25 BDT
C. Jones says:
Thats the War of Powers by Robert E. Vardeman and Victor Milan I loved that trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2009 12:58:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Apr 2009 13:04:54 BDT
Zeebros says:
OMG!! War of the Powers was one of my first loves, and I didn't even know it was a trilogy, guess I'm gonna have to go and search for book three....
Thankyou :)

EDIT: Just been and searched, found out it was a 6 book series. Thankyou again:)

Posted on 28 Apr 2009 15:42:56 BDT
Iain Cliffe says:
Agree - War of Powers was superb.

Sadly, I've read nothing close from either Verdeman or Milan since then. Reminds of me of the Empire trilogy where Feist and Wurts were superb together but their individual books seem not nearly as good.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2009 21:33:07 BDT
dischism says:
victor milan has written some of the rogue angel series
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fantasy discussion forum (678 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  20 Mar 2009
Latest post:  3 May 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions