Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Epic Fantasy - The best of

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Mar 2009 00:52:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2009 13:39:05 GMT
nexus says:
I love a good story & in my book the longer the better; which is great as a lot of fantasy now tends to be part of a series. The downside is having to patiently wait for months or years on end for the next gripping instalment (Yes, I am talking about you Mr Martin; Ms Jones, you should hang your head in shame also) So, whilst I play the waiting game, who are your top epic fantasy writers?

In my early days I read Goodkind, Eddings and Jordan and although they were fun at the time, I now prefer something a little more character driven and complex. Aside from magician I loathed Feist. & Terry Brooks was eminently forgettable.

Robin Hobb, Scott Lynch, George rr Martin, some of JV Jones and much of Erikson are sheer genius. Joe Abercrombie, Michelle West, Jacqueline Carey and Stephen Donaldson can certainly hold their own.

I would love to hear your recommendations for authors and series; hopefully I will never have to run out of a good book again.

Posted on 5 Mar 2009 10:49:25 GMT
L. O. Shea says:
I'm not sure what can be added to your already comprehensive list, KJ Parker is very good especially The Engineer Trilogy, R Scott Bakker also.
I would also add Katherine Kerr.
If I could add a element of negativity and add the writers that I DON'T like and have found either boring, longwinded,pretentious. Robert Jorden (neverending and confusing), Gene Wolf (too much like an attempt at literature and impenetrable), too name just 2.
I think Erikson is the finest writer in this genre I have ever read and The Malazan book of the Dead series is my favourite series ever. Scott Lynch is also wonderful but still waiting for the third book, and Joe Abercrombie has the best characters in the business, Logen is the boss!

Posted on 5 Mar 2009 12:57:21 GMT
Rosewood says:
Check out "The Train That Never Came" by Pearse Lehane (the first installment in a new fantasy trilogy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Train_That_Never_Came

Posted on 6 Mar 2009 14:04:06 GMT
J.Yasimoto says:
Hobb, Martin and Erikson are certainly the top fantasy writers around today.

Magician is definitely Feist's best book, but the Empire trilogy (with Wurts) is also a worthy read. Personally find Eddings far too whimsical but if you enjoy both Eddings and Feist, why not try Weis/Hickman (the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy) and Salvatore (The Icewind Dale trilogy). Both D&D derived series, but very well written and suitable for younger readers as well.

Turning a bit more serious, any fan of Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Chronicles, might enjoy the Severian of the Guild quartet by Gene Wolfe. Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea quartet is also worth a mention. Part of a series, but best read as a standalone, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon is also a great character read.

If you like the hack and slash of Gemmell's books, see where it all started with Howard's Conan, and follow up with Leiber's Lankhmar books. Also worth a read (especially if you like Erikson) is Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company.

If you enjoy wallowing in a fantasy world, Jordan's your best bet. But both JV Jones (Sword of Shadows) and Tad Williams (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn) have much to recommend them. Sorry. Terry Goodkind just doesn't work for me.

Not that bothered about magic but like the epic fantasy settings? Why not try historical novels. Anything by Conn Iggulden is good (especially if you are a fan of Gemmell). Also try Bernard Cornwell (Grail Quest trilogy), Ken Follett (Pillars of the Earth), Jean M Auel (Earth's Children).

And finally, if you're a newcomer to fantasy, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (skip the poems) and Peake's Ghormenghast books are essential as they were (and probably still are) the two most influential writers in the fantasy genre.

That little lot should keep you going...

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2009 15:58:01 GMT
N says:
HEY people,

I would recommend SORRY MR EX by Bella.N.Mahal! its Sassy, Intoxicating, Vulnerable, real are words that conjure up in my mind in describing this book. Yet these words do not even begin to decipher the emotional adventure that is transmitted through its pages! I just hope Mr eX seriously gets a hold of a cope! Really great read! www.sorry-mr-ex.com

Posted on 7 Mar 2009 15:05:33 GMT
Good story, fantasy and long? Well how about The Last Order Of Hyda? Though I'm definitely biased in suggesting this, (being the author and all) it is the first part of a series of books I plan to write. If everything goes well (depending on the publisher) then Dec 09/Jan 10 the next two books will come out.

"Hyda is a medieval world plagues by strange anomalies. Strange monsters roaming the lands and people mysteriously disappearing are just some of the unnatural events that have the people live in fear. In the Northern Realm, which is the country affected the worse, the Hydian Order was formed to investigate the various anomalies and have done so for twenty-five years. Thanks to a recent incident the Order looks set to be disbanded and replaced. Before a decision is made an urgent call for help comes from the town Ryn and the Order are sent knowing this could be their last mission. What awaits them is something more horrifying than anything they've ever encountered."

The above is the blurb on the back of my book. Unfortunately my book is only available in online shops and none of the sites I've checked show the description so no one's going to know what my book's about! (Well until now anyway!)

My book has several plot twists, plenty of interesting (at least I think so) characters, action, horror, humour, suspense, tragedy and even a little romance as well as a few other things. The Hyda series is going to be a trilogy before I move on to my next series. Every one of my books will be set in the same universe so certain events in one series may have a relation to another series. Also some characters cross over from different series. Each book will be done in a way so that you don't need to have read a previous book to get what that story is about.

Posted on 8 Mar 2009 01:11:00 GMT
Bd Hopkins says:
plug plug plug = martin taylor?

that's the second i've seen in the only two discussions i've ever looked at. how many more are there martin?

:o)

keep plugging, you'll have more than earnt your sales at this rate

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2009 12:32:28 GMT
In answer to Bd Hopkins' question there's four in total and each on discussions that are relevant as I don't want to be seen as too pushy.

Posted on 10 Mar 2009 20:33:37 GMT
Try Janny Wurts-She has a series going which is now several book long-so it should keep you occupied for a while. She has written a couple of stand alone books as well if you want to try her writing style out-but she mainly done them to practice before her epic. The Series is called The Wars of Light & Shadow. I have listed the first couple of books to get you started;
book1: The Curse of the Mistwraith
book 2: Ships of merior
Book 3: Warhost of Vastmark

Posted on 11 Mar 2009 12:33:10 GMT
Ed says:
Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay is also worth a mention.

Posted on 11 Mar 2009 12:40:04 GMT
Linanoran says:
Have you read Kevin J Andersons Saga of the Seven Suns space opera on a large scale 7 books in total all out now

Posted on 3 Apr 2009 06:47:03 BDT
What about Frank Herbert's "Dune"
it is an epic

Posted on 3 Apr 2009 11:21:10 BDT
echoing "Guy Gavriel Kay" i just finished "song for arbonne" (which isnt a series) and really loved it

it was a great book for me, as im just moving into the world of more "adult" fantasy, now that i've slowly started to move a way from more "teen" orientated authors

there are a few more Guy Gabriel Kay books on my to read list, i will check out some of the authors on your list, thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2009 11:23:27 BDT
Becki_I says:
I agree - this is one of the best sci-fi series I've read in years!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2009 11:28:37 BDT
The Alvin Maker books by Orson Scott Card are great. Easy reading and a bit different from most of the stuff you listed.
Some other good ones are the Trudi Canavan Age of the five series and also the Elizabeth Haydon Books (Rhapsody, Destiny, Prophecy) The later ones in this series weren't so good.
Try going in a slightly different direction and read the Jean Auel books, starting with the Clan of the cave bear. I really loved them despite being an avid reader of the epic fantasy genre.
Finally my favourite book of all time is The pillars of the earth by Ken Follett. I've lent this book to many people and every one of them has loved it!
Hope this is useful.
Mel Bell

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2009 21:29:41 BDT
Simon Fitton says:
I think your wrong about robert jordan. He is by far the best epic fantasy writer out there and the books keep on drawing you further and further in. I've read al his books at least 5 times.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2009 17:45:11 BDT
L. J. Smith says:
Hiya u might want to give Kate Elliott a try. Her crown of stars series is very good, and epic.

Posted on 17 Apr 2009 11:17:30 BDT
Richard morgan is good. He has written a series of science fiction books but just started a fantasy series. The first book is called "the steel remains" and is quite good. There is a 2nd one coming out but i'm not sure how many he plans in total.

I have to say, Despite Robert Jordans faults, (long and detailed descriptions of clothes etc) his books are excellent and is an epic series. The last couple haven't been quite as great as earlier ones but still enjoyable and the rest of the series more than makes up for one or two slower books, and when you consider the scale of his plots this was necessary in order to do the story justice.

George R R Martin is excellent and JV Jones is good. Her sword of shadows series is her best series in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2009 11:53:57 BDT
M. Lennard says:
Hi there, My book is out Monday the 27th, its a fantasy, its not the longest, but it is packed with a very good story line, and some very intresting characters. "When Tomorrow Ends" can be ordered on amazon, but awaiting a picture, you can see the front cover on Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie. Happy reading and magical wishes.xx
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xaf816f60)

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  5 Mar 2009
Latest post:  26 Apr 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions