Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Drizzt Do'Urden Reading Order

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Mar 2013 10:47:59 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Anyone know the reading order for Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden Books, particularly the Sellswords Trilogy?

I originally read them years ago in publishing order even though the Dark Elf Trilogy is actually a prequel to the Icewind Dale Trilogy and made it up to and including the Paths Of Darkness Quadrilogy.

I now want to go back and read them and have come up with the following chronological order but i'm not sure where the Sellswords Trilogy fits in? I know they're not about Drizzt and focus on Artmeis and Jarlaxle but I would like to read them as well in the right place

Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halfling's Gem

The Legacy
Starless Night
Siege of Darkness

The Silent Blade
Passage to Dawn
The Spine of the World
Sea of Swords

The Thousand Orcs
The Lone Drow
The Two Swords

The Orc King
The Pirate King
The Ghost King

Posted on 7 Mar 2013 10:55:43 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Also, does the War Of The Spider Queen and Daughter Of The Drow Trilogy fit into the timeline anywhere or am I best reading those separately?

Posted on 9 Mar 2013 07:17:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Mar 2013 07:18:01 GMT
J.Yasimoto says:
There's a good list on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_A_Salvatore#Forgotten_Realms

It's listed in order of publication (which I would recommend sticking to for new readers), but also listed in brackets are the years in which they are set. Note: The War of the Spider Queen were not written by RA Salvatore. Not sure about the chronological order of Daughter of the Drow.

A quick warning though. I re-read these a few years ago and they were not as good as I remembered from when they were originally published. The pick of the bunch (for me) was the Homeland / Exile / Sojourn prequel trilogy.

Posted on 11 Mar 2013 10:53:44 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Apparently the 'War Of The Spider Queen' takes place around the same time 'Ghost King' ends while the Daughter Of The Drow series is set just after 'Siege Of Darkness'

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 15:12:44 GMT
Jaq Draco says:
The Sellswords Trilogy goes on after the events of The silent blade. Cannot remeber the exact chronoly on the forgotten realms calendar, but you are safe as long as you read them after the Silent blade, but before the Transitions -trilogy, aka The x king -books. Generally speaking I'd recommed reading them before starting on the Hunter's blades -trilogy.

Posted on 9 May 2013 15:46:29 BDT
V. PANESAR says:
Passage to dawn comes after siege of darkness and definitely before silent blade. Servant of the Shard was originally part of the "Paths of Darkness" quartet - that started with Silent Blade and finished with Sea of Swords. So Sellswords is best read after Spine of the World. As a side note, Passage to Dawn and the Sellswords Trilogy have cameos from characters from the Clerical Quintet - so it may be worth reading those before Passage. Though it's certainly not essential.
The rest of your order is fine. All re-releases always put Dark Elf trilogy before Crystal Shard trilogy. Personally I would stop reading after the Two Swords. Everything slowly starts to unravel beyond that and the Neverwinter saga is fully of some really awful characters :(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  7 Mar 2013
Latest post:  9 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions