Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Fantasy books with magic, elves and the like?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Nov 2011 12:56:48 GMT
Fantasy books with magic, elves and the like?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 13:50:47 GMT
Bookaholic says:
Try the Seanan McGuire October Daye Series

Posted on 30 Nov 2011 00:27:42 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 3 Dec 2011 22:52:33 GMT]

Posted on 1 Dec 2011 00:51:08 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 2 Dec 2011 15:12:14 GMT]

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 05:45:49 GMT
The Dastard says:
Have you read Elfhunter by C.S. Marks? It's the first book of a huge trilogy - lots of elves. I reviewed it over a year ago, but since then it's been picked up by a publisher and re-released.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2011 15:21:30 GMT
Try a book by A D Dowland I cant remember the title, but the authors name will get you to it, lots of magic, not too many goblins, but coverns, and demons, vampires, and other such good things, and its only 86p.

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 15:37:07 GMT
I've just released a traditional fantasy book on kindle if you have one called Path of Dreams, lots of mythical creatures in there. Author - Kathryn Dunnett. I'd love it if anyone would read and review.

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 15:38:57 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 17 Dec 2011 22:22:13 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2011 19:58:43 GMT
The book title is The Errinthians book one the awakening of Elizabeth Hennessy.
ASIN B0064R9412

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 20:59:31 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 17 Dec 2011 22:22:13 GMT]

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 23:21:00 GMT
Livecash says:
Hey you guys, i've just recently published 'The Rings Of The Lords' as an ebook, it's more of a spoof though, but if you like elves and magic and such, you may like it. I've as of yet not received feedback from it on amazon. Still actually the length of The Lord Of The Rings!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2011 07:07:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Dec 2011 07:07:43 GMT
J.Yasimoto says:
You mean Tolkien derivatives?...

In that case, apart from Lord of the Rings, you have:
The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams

but the best of the bunch for elves, dwarves, magic etc. are

Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy by Weis/Hickman
Magician (Riftwar Saga) by Raymond E Feist

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 19:38:12 GMT
The link to my book isPath of Dreams (The Stones of Life). Thanks for the interest.

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 21:07:11 GMT
L.J. Lawry says:
You are welcome to check out my books, George Grove and the Dragon and George Grove and the Wolf by LJ Lawry both available as e-books on Amazon, with elves, dragons, witches, magic and a lot more running riot in South London.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 21:18:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2011 21:23:54 GMT
LEP says:
Here's some ideas:
ALAT (Kindle) - A M Stickel
Hobbit & LOTR - Tolkien
The Other Side of Life (Kindle) - Jess C Scott
Shannara series - Terry Brooks
Serrated Edge series - Terry Brooks
Discworld (Lords and Ladies and also Wee Free Men) - Terry Pratchett
The King of Efland's Daughter - Lord Dunsany
The Broken Sword - Poul Anderson
The Silmarillon - Tolkien
Elfquest novels - Wendy & Richard Pini
Artemis Fowl (childrens/YA) - E Colfer
The Deed of Paksenarrion - Elizabeth Moon
Warcraft: War of the Ancients (based on the computer games) - Richard A Knaak
In the Service of Dragons - Robert Stanek
Dark of Elf Trilogy - Salvatore
Demon War Saga - Raymond E Feist
Enduring Flame - Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory
The Iron Elves - Chris Evans
The Spiderwick Chronicles (YA?) - Tony Di Terrlizzi & Holly Black

I've only read The Hobbit & LOTR and also Artemis Fowl book 1, the latter of which I thought was weird, but my son loved.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 23:01:15 GMT
Andre Pau says:
hi after some time I have at long last finished and placed on kindle the first book of my trilogy, Darkland/Borderland The Magic of the Book and would just love it if someone would read and give me a review

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 00:01:25 GMT
Hi fantasy fans,iv recently published my first fantasy book on kindle store, tilted,' the magic of fantasforia'
It's written in ryhme to make it more exciting for kids & adults to read, lots of magic, monsters, unicorns, dragons to name a few, it's the first of 9 planned,if u like 80s fantasy films like labyrinth & dark crystal & the lord of rings trilogy, I'm sure you'll enjoy this epic fairytale :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 00:11:21 GMT
Hi kathryn,well done on publishing your book:-) it's fantastic,iv just published my first fantasy book on kindle store titled,' the magic of fantasforia' (9 planned)I'm trying to bring back the feel of the 80s fantasy films like labyrinth & legend,its written in rhyme to make it exciting for kids & adults to read,good luck & hopefully 1 day our books will be epic fantasy films for this generation:-)

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 00:15:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 00:19:55 GMT
Heres the link to my fantasy novelThe Magic of Fantasforia (Fantasforia Legacy) thanx for the support, hope u all enjoy :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 10:30:54 GMT
Thank you so much for your review. I wish you all the best with yours and will definitely check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 17:35:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 17:36:25 GMT
LEP says:
R A Salvatore seems to be the "go to" author for various series about elves/dwarves etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 17:43:01 GMT
J.Yasimoto says:
R A Salvatore works in the "Forgotten Realms" world. This, along with "Dragonlance" (another Dungeons & Dragons setting), sticks very closely to J R R Tolkiens Middle Earth world. Take your pick from literally hundreds of books.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 18:40:49 GMT
Thanks for the support kathryn your a star :-) looking forward to your next book, writing fantasy books has changed my life in many ways as I'm sure you'll understand,may your dreams & wishes come true :-)

Posted on 13 Dec 2011 05:57:41 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Dec 2011 15:55:43 GMT]

Posted on 17 Dec 2011 02:33:40 GMT
Joy S says:
Try Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series: full of fairies in an urban setting with werewolves as well, and Harry Dresden is a wizard who runs a detective agency.
Also Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series starting with A Kiss of Shadows (bit steamy at times) - another detective agency at first, but the protagonist is princess Meredith NicEssus, about to become a potential heir to the Unseelie throne.
You have, of course, read The last Unicorn and other books by Peter S Beagle (not elves, but a really evil witch). (The cartoon follows the book fairly closely).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fantasy discussion forum (675 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  29 Nov 2011
Latest post:  23 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions