Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Authors: please do not self-promote on this forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 09:28:44 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
So what people here call mental, you consider normal? You don't happen to be from an asylum, do you?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 11:28:57 BDT
Anita says:
Nope, and it's not mental. Nothing wrong about talking with yourself. It's much worse, if you start talking with someone else within yorself :)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 11:59:21 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
Hey, I'm a writer, so that's a given! Endless conversations spiral round in my head, but I don't let on. Well, I have now, but don't tell anyone ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 12:16:30 BDT
Anita says:
Ahh, that's different! Just not any better. To watch your characters, to eavesdrop on them... voyeurism at it's worst, I'd say... :)

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 11:01:01 BDT
Anita says:
Marcus - O/T (don't want to be too tiresome on another thread, and this one needs a bump :) )

Saving a life in an unlikely an seemingly miraculous way is quite a challenge. Something I'm *doing* now and again (hey - *not* in real life!). I know, you are all into history, and I'm much more into physics (nothing professional, just interested), but hey. Once I needed to extract some oxygen from water in order to have something to breathe, spent hours with my neighbours (both with a degree in physics), even went to my daughter's physics teacher at school, and that has been FUN... :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 11:51:40 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
After all, if they didn't want me to listen in, they'd get the hell out of my head. But then I'd be normal. That's just wrong.

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 11:51:58 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
Oh and :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 11:57:44 BDT
Anita says:
Don't be so sure! It's not *that* easy to get rid of them. Try that, and you'll see them sneering and badly misbehaving... :) Don't tell me your characters always do what YOU want them to do!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 12:07:19 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
Well they never shut up, so no. But they know the drill. If they annoy me too much, they end up tortured in the next book. It's for that reason my little vampire friend is often the one who suffers the most. You'd think he'd learn by now.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 12:14:55 BDT
Anita says:
:) That reminds me of a book where something had to be extracted from a masochistic person. No torture helped, as he enjoyed that. A way out has been found, but I'm *not* telling you, in case you might stumble upon the book :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 12:16:53 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
Sounds interesting..

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 12:20:05 BDT
Anita says:
And the Devil Will Drag You Under

(Have a good look at the label of the bottle...) It's not entirely, but in a way - a fun book :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 12:39:15 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
You mean the author's name? It's hard to see if there's anything else. Must add it to my long long list to TBR novels.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 12:47:50 BDT
Anita says:
Yeah, the author's name. It's not something I noticed at once, but has been a fun find... :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 12:49:37 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
I'm surprised you noticed it at all. Seems a shame that most people are probably oblivious to this little quirk.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 21:16:10 BDT
I agree, Anita - I think we've exhausted all the possibilities on that other thread. It was an interesting discussion.

I have to say that I am *not* of a scientific leaning. I took Chemistry and Physics at O-Level, and failed Chemistry. I only took two sciences because the school *made* me - otherwise I would have been perfectly happy not to take any at all, and take more humanities subjects.

Having said that, I've become more interested with age - although it will only be a passing interest, I think. I know enough to ask pertinent questions, and to understand the answers to some degree. Other than that ... I'll stick to History! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 21:24:40 BDT
Anita says:
:) History - of course! I know about history much much less (is that some kind of weird oxymoron???) than I'd like to. And I passionately hate chemistry... :)

But physics and maths AND astronomy *are* interesting..........
(And mythology, too)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 21:25:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jul 2012 21:26:20 BDT
Garscadden says:
I would recommend anyone with even a passing interest in science to read John Gribbin's In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat - I learnt more chemistry in a couple of pages of that book than in my O-Levels, and it is wonderfully readable.

(Sorry, it is just one of those books I am always going on about. I like it)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 21:56:03 BDT
Anita says:
I do have this book in my wish list - waiting for better times, to be honest...

And you do need lots and lots of imagination to grasp some things in maths. Like this nice little thing as square root of -1, or i... (I can't find a way to put the square root sign here.)

There's a joke.
A mathematician A asks a mathematician B:
"Any news about our mutual friend mathematician C?"
The mathematician B answers:
"He's not a mathematician any more, he didn't have enough imagination for maths. He became a poet."

(It's well possible it's not the first time I tell it, sorry if so)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 22:08:35 BDT
Garscadden says:
It was always infinity that got me. Imagine all the positive, integer numbers - there are an infinite number of them. Then add the negative integers, and that amount is double. Now think of all the non-integer positive numbers. And the non-integer negative numbers... The idea of there being versions of infinity that are bigger than other versions of infinity drives me to drinking wine...

The i thing really got me when I found out there were real world uses for it - just when you get to understand numbers that didn't exist, you find out people use them for real things. Maths is mad, and cutting edge mathematicians are young, it isn't a old mans game.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 22:37:27 BDT
Anita says:
The i can become a very nice and real positive 1, if you... involute? is that's the word?.. at exponent 4... sorry, I'm blabbering nonsences, I'm quite short on English terms here... :( Just, as such, it can be used in real life.

You might like to add, that if we have a *line* for positive and negative numbers, we have a plane for complex ones... how about that wine?..

The best possible topic for fantasy forum... what if we have someone converted? :)

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 22:51:39 BDT
Anita says:
Ahem... anyone to change the subject? :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2012 08:47:48 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
How about talking about the weather and/or cricket whilst sipping tea and eating crumpets? I failed at being typically British just then by accidentally spelling 'tea' with two Es.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2012 10:57:09 BDT
Anita says:
I know exactly nothing about cricket (so you can tell me :) ), I always have to think twice before typing "sea" and "see", and I'm not British...

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2012 14:53:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jul 2012 14:53:28 BDT
Sandra Giles says:
I don't know about it either, and I rarely drink tea, but talking about the weather is something I do a lot! Update? It's cloudy here. Hey, at least you have an excuse. I always type carelessly. A frequent mistake is mixing 'me' with 'my'. Where're you from?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  4019
Initial post:  11 Jul 2012
Latest post:  5 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions