Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

I have run out of books, any suggestions for new ones?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 247 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2010 14:51:08 GMT
I am surprised you have not tried Merlin's Kin by Everett Coles one of the reviewers described it as 'More mature than Harry Potter less serious than Pullman;' I think it is a very enjoyable read.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2010 18:02:42 GMT
charles says:
You should check out Ghost of Achilles - True Ogre by Chris Sorrell. Real, epic fantasy.

Posted on 10 Dec 2010 14:21:10 GMT
W. Garland says:
Any of Brandon Sanderson a unique view on magic good quick triolgy, Raymond Fiest very good some of my first fantasy very easy to get into and his collaborations on Daughter of an Empire was very good some of his short stories arn't worth getting, Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson loved the first book got bogged down aound the middle of the series about book six but the ending is near and its rediscovered its form, Brent weeks very good new fantasy, also Steve Erikson or Ian Cameron Esslemont which have a slightly darker theme and can be very complicated as well as who is slightly newer and more simple Joe Abercrombie with the same dark edge. For much more simple clear cut fanatsy try David Gemmel not much depth but good quick reads. Also a simple but well though out book is the Temeraire books by Naomi Novic, a new series which is also developing excellently is the 'painted man' by Peter V. Brett. There is also Adrian Tchaikovsky work which is slightly weird and different but worth a try if you want something different never really grabbed me though same could be said for Tad Williams I didn't like his style and never brought me into the story, people say good things about him and Stephen King but I think that there slightly to scifi for my taste. robin hobb also deserves a mention as there well written with a decent storyline if not quite as good as the reviews suggest. If you like a kind of alternate history with roman themes and magic try Jim Butcher his novels are excellent. A good political/world builder is George R. R. Martin but he never made me care about the charaters and killed them off to often for my taste. Terry Pratchets Night Watch and making money type stories I enjoyed as well. For some excellent military fantasy try the Black Company by glen cook. David Eddings has a quite annoying style of writting and his charaters always have a catch phase that can get annoying but for a simple holiday read its good. Karen Miller is also of a similar holiday catagory.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2010 14:45:57 GMT
P. Bhakta says:
Try David Eddings

The Belgariad Series
The mallorean series
The Elenium

He has other series as well.

I have read them again and again

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2010 20:33:51 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 15 Dec 2010 21:42:14 GMT]

Posted on 15 Dec 2010 20:39:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2010 20:41:13 GMT
F. Shaw says:
@ Ms C Smith: I thought P Bhakta's comments about David Eddings books were perfectly valid & not worthy of such criticism.

The Eddings books are a good starting point to the genre but are often considered very lightweight by those who have read a fair number of fantasy books. However if you want a very easy read & a bit of fun then Eddings is ideal ( & worth re-reading again & again).

APOLOGIES, YOU WERE RESPONDING TO AN EARLIER POST ABOUT WATCHING TELLY - YEAH, YOU'RE RIGHT MS C SMITH!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2010 21:45:55 GMT
Ms. C. Smith says:
Yeah thanks for this post it really wasn't at all helpful. In future if you have nothing useful to say just say nothing. It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and confirm it. Dick.

Posted on 15 Dec 2010 21:47:35 GMT
Ms. C. Smith says:
Oh sorry P. Bhakta I didn't realise if I commented on a post it would appear at the bottom. That honestly wasn't aimed at you.

Posted on 15 Dec 2010 22:58:45 GMT
Thamnipu says:
again gotta recommend magician by R. E. Feist. also try Mistborn trilogy by B. Sanderson. if u want epic proportions, try R Jordan's wheel of time series which is just 1 year away from it's conclusion.

Posted on 15 Dec 2010 23:52:34 GMT
K. Jarvis says:
If you want a little bit light hearted mystery check out the Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth series of books by MC Beaton if you haven't already. Great fun to read, and approx 39 books to keep you out of mischief for a while. Enjoy!

Posted on 16 Dec 2010 11:49:34 GMT
A. ODONNELL says:
Just finished Joe Abercrombies First Law trilogy and most enjoyable it was to. Not as complex as GRR Martin but nevertheless a great read with compelling characters. With regards to GRR Martin his books are top notch but he hasnt finished the series so if thats important to you, then wait until he's finished. Apparently HBO are on the process of filming his first book, so that in itself is an indication of its quality.

Eddings- younger (and older) readers will enjoy this introduction to fantasy genre, Feist - Solid, Tolkien- its Tolkien. Nuff said. R Jordan - decent enough but just too long. Jim Butcher- 'popcorn' reading but enjoyable. P V Brett - excellent read his two books. When i get more time i'll post more and in detail, good luck! I actually enjoy researching new books and authors.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2010 22:49:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Dec 2010 22:54:03 GMT
LEP says:
Try The White Mare series by Jules Watson. Druids, magic, plenty of action, treachery and some romance. The first book is The White Mare.

Then there's Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy and if you think you may like this type of thing Mary Renault's great novels based upon Greek Myths i.e. The King Must Die, The Bull from the Sea etc.

Posted on 17 Dec 2010 19:17:17 GMT
Gregor Manby says:
Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky and it's numerous sequals are damn good reads, so I recommend them.

Posted on 17 Dec 2010 19:17:48 GMT
Gregor Manby says:
Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky and it's numerous sequals are damn good reads, so I recommend them.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2010 22:17:58 GMT
LEP says:
Robin McKinley's books e.g Pegasus; Sunshine; The Blue Sword; Beauty; Rose Daughter

Posted on 18 Dec 2010 01:21:18 GMT
stucody says:
If you looking for something new than I highly recommend Wolfsangel. It's a very good mix of Norse mythology with fantasy. Can't wait for the next book to come out next year.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2010 18:25:30 GMT
My suggestion would be the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine, or anything by Karen Chance, who is completely brilliant at building a world in which anything and everything can happen. Great fun.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2010 09:24:39 GMT
The name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is well worth a read.
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)

It's up there with Peter V. Brett's 'The Desert Spear' as one of my best reads of 2010. Frustratingly, like Peter Brett he's also a new author so there isn't much of a back catalgue to dive into. The next book in the series is out in March.

Posted on 20 Dec 2010 10:08:38 GMT
K. Regan says:
My favourite Raymond Feist wasn't part of a trilogy it was 'Faerie Tale'. Can I also recommend Peter Brett's 'Painted Man'? I have the second one, but haven't read it yet. Or 'Scar Night' by Alan Campbell.

Posted on 20 Dec 2010 13:08:24 GMT
Harry says:
I've not seen all the suggestions, but I think you'd like the
Witch World series by Andre Norton
My all time favourite is a series which you think is fantasy at first, which slowly turns into hard sci fi
the Morgaine series (4 of them ) by C J Cherryh

Posted on 20 Dec 2010 13:35:34 GMT
Kate says:
For something a little different, a Thriller, you may want to try Fury From Within

Posted on 21 Dec 2010 00:30:18 GMT
K. Jarvis says:
Just a few I have enjoyed myself

Black Dagger Brotherhood series - JR Ward
Dark Hunter Series - Sherilyn Kenyon
Agatha Raisin Series - MC Beaton
Hamish MacBeth Series - MC Beaton
Key Trilogy - Nora Roberts

Posted on 21 Dec 2010 12:49:13 GMT
FishBlobCat says:
septimus heap! My FAVOURITE fantasy series, set in a world where wizards are part of ordinary life. no romance, though.
Also, The Host by Stephine Meyer is amazing - much better than her twighlight series.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2010 13:48:22 GMT
Hi. I'm a newly submitting author, and I uploaded my novel yesterday: 'Words to the Wise' by Cornelius Harker. It is an urban fantasy novel, and is set in the eighteenth century. The style of writing is also derivative of that era. You may wish to download a sample. I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2010 14:20:20 GMT
Ginny says:
Dragon flight is the first one, and is rather good :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fantasy discussion forum (676 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  183
Total posts:  247
Initial post:  30 Dec 2009
Latest post:  10 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions