Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Is it illegal for an author's children to review thier books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 May 2012 15:35:34 BDT
Sorry, I know this sounds, but I heard that it is supposed to be illegal or not allowed for an author's children or close relatives to leave reviews on thier work.

Is this the same on Amazon?
Your reply to Medieval Lady's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 16:24:12 BDT
Anita says:
I doubt you'd ever go to jail for that.

But then, you should be prepared to be laughed at, and in some not-so-pleasant ways. Especially if you forget to mention the family ties after giving the book five stars

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 16:46:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 May 2012 16:50:30 BDT
No, I didn't think you could be prosecuted for it- but I encountered one reviewer who was particularly zealous in defending and promoting an author's work, and attacked me for criticising it. I confess I did some research on her and found certain clues to suggest that she was none other than the author's daughter.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 17:14:19 BDT
Anita says:
So why are you asking? I suggest you read some of the other threads. The subject has been discussed over and over

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 17:36:00 BDT
Sorry, can you tell me of any threads in particualar?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 18:11:12 BDT
Jim Webster says:
I suspect that it's not illegal, so probably falls into the 'immoral' or 'fattening' categories

mind you given UK law, you'd probably discover we'd all have to be CRB checked before we could read the children's reviews if they were under the age of 26 ;-(

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 18:54:29 BDT
Yup, quite likely

Posted on 13 May 2012 19:07:39 BDT
Anita says:
Medieval Lady: I can't give you a definite answer, there's lots of spam and jokes at spammers, and self-reviewers, and reviews by family members, and the like these days. Try checking out the "New author spam" thread just below, you might find more answers than you asked for.

Jim: UK law must be something, then... :)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 19:10:53 BDT
Jim Webster says:
It must be, we have so much of it

Posted on 14 May 2012 17:47:08 BDT
J. Turner says:
It's not actually illegal - but it is considered pretty bad form! In fact I have noticed that if I really like a book and rave over it, I have been accused of being the author, part of the family or bosom buddy! Amazon.com is particularly paranoid about this...

Posted on 14 May 2012 18:11:33 BDT
John says:
If you have found something interesting, shameful, or even funny, then post the details here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/fantasy/ref=cm_cd_notf_message?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx7R5DCJ9UVMQT&cdPage=2&cdThread=TxPHHINWBSN296#Mx11G0MEHA58D5V

Posted on 19 May 2012 13:42:23 BDT
I don't think it is illegal for the AUTHOR to review his own books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  13 May 2012
Latest post:  19 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions