Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Customer Discussions > fantasy discussion forum

Any recommendations of similar books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Posted on 11 May 2013 23:27:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 May 2013 23:28:01 BDT
A bit of a long shot, but try David Zindell's The Broken God (and subsequent books). Some people find them pompous, others grand and beautiful. It's somewhere between a philosphical fantasy and sci-fi, and follows the development of a boy whose people are all dead, developing mentally and psychically, and seemingly with most of the cosmos against him.

Also... Everything Chris just said. :)

Posted on 8 May 2013 23:22:04 BDT
Chris says:
After your request I dont know why i'm the first to recommend Robin Hobbs farseer trilogy. Its about a boy, bastard son of the future king who has to abdicate the throne when he finds out he had a child. He grows up in a castle full of intrigue, beset by an increasingly aggressive nation. He is trained to become an assassin, and whilst never becoming some all conquering super hero type that some fantasy thrives on, still has qualities and abilities that set him apart from others. It is honestly brilliantly written and as the character grows, so do the tragic convolutions of history repeating itself, albeit in a subtle way. I have recommended the series several times and have yet to find any who have not enjoyed it. Well worth a look.

Rothfuss also excellent! Tchaikovsky I enjoyed whilst it never blew me away. Tolkein is too obvious and probably not what you're looking for. I also recently enjoyed Scott Lynch's Lies of Lock Lamorra, a bit of fun there. Mark Lawrence and the King of thorns is a darker fantasy twist, but excellent in its more sinister and shocking way. Brent Weeks I found long winded and twisted, in a less positive way, although not bad. For something a bit more real world...although still, I would argue, well within the fantasy scope; you could try Conn Igguldens Rome series. Historical fiction I believe its called, but it has most of what you outline.

Do NOT try Eddings. I found his brain dribblings so fatuous, repetitive, cliched and shallow that I wanted to burn the book before i had finished the first 5 chapters (and I will honestly read any old crap) I forced my way through the series and I honestly feel I could have spent the time more productively had I spent a week reading the back of a box of cornflakes over and over again. He is bad.

Abercrombie not terrible, but I would try the others first.

Hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2013 09:36:46 BDT
M. Jolliff says:
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)

Posted on 5 May 2013 22:43:00 BDT
Katy May says:
I love the Wizard of Earthsea! Brilliant book. The Lies of Locke Lamora is good (the sequel slightly less so and the third one has been forever in getting published. Joe Abercrombie might fit the bill, his books are dark but the characters very entertaining. LE Modesitt Jnr's books are interesting in that they are often written in the first person and in that you, the reader, know only what the main character knows. However, some find the level of detail off putting. The Ben Aaronovitch books have a main character who learns as he goes, but being a policeman with family he's not your traditional orphan type and it's set in the present not in an alternative world, still really good though. The Jon Rosenberg books are good and also cheap. If you like orphans on a quest, then you might want to read David Eddings 'The Belgariad', it's a bit of a classic!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2013 19:27:34 BDT
Why not read Amazon's TOS, which specifically state that self-promotion should be confined to the MOA forum?

Posted on 2 May 2013 10:25:19 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 2 May 2013 10:09:03 BDT
Badwolf says:
Why not try Anwa Indo - A Quest For Peace Part 1 - The Journey Begins

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2013 06:30:52 BDT
M. Jolliff says:
Yeah, that explanation helps those of us who haven't read the books you listed. You may enjoy this then Master of the Five Magics and there are a few sequels. You would also probably enjoy The Earthsea Quartet: "A Wizard Of Earthsea"; "The Tombs of Atuan"; "The Farthest Shore"; "Tehanu" (Puffin Books)

Posted on 1 May 2013 22:29:56 BDT
The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn & Bone)

Posted on 1 May 2013 21:29:15 BDT
Max says:
I like fantasy adventures where the main character has to go and grow on his own. An example is when a street urchin has to scrape by, slowly but surely growing stronger, then ends up becoming some mighty sorcerer through some twist of fate. I prefer stories where the MCs adventures are focused on and not when the MC joins with a group of individuals to go and defeat a great evil. Does this even make sense? xD

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2013 20:21:13 BDT
Brett Logue says:
Try "Strange Metamorphosis" by P.C.R. Monk I found it a great read and totally different from the norm when it comes to fantasy :)

Posted on 28 Apr 2013 16:16:54 BDT
EFM says:
Why not try Patrick Rothfuss' "The name of the wind" and "Wise Man Fear" I read them just after reading the Demon Cycle and really liked them. Also give it a try to Tom LLoyd's Storm Caller ( and the other books in the series); Adrian Tchaikosvky's "Shadow of the Apt" series and; James Maxwell's "the Evermen Saga". Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2013 10:32:47 BDT
Sorry that your request doesn't appear to have resulted in any recommendations, Maxime.

I have to admit that I am not familiar with any of those you list, although I think I read one of Peter V. Brett's (well, I started one, but didn't finish it because I didn't like it).

Hopefully, others will eventually come up with some ideas. In the meantime, what sort of themes/worlds/characters do you like? Perhaps with more of that sort of information I could recommend something?

Cheers

Initial post: 27 Apr 2013 01:30:12 BDT
Max says:
I've more or less run out of books to read so I was hoping someone would have read the following and more of the kind:
- The Young Ancients series by P.S. Power
- The Ingenairii and Inner Seas Kindom series by Jeffrey Quyle
- The Sorcerer's Path series by Brock Deskins
- The Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett
- The Road to Magic by Alexey Glushanovsky
- The Reawakening Saga by D.W. Jackson

Those are to give a general idea of what I've enjoyed so far. I've also enjoyed some where magic and space travel some together rather nicely such as The Galactic Mage series by John Daulton. If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.
Cheers
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fantasy discussion forum (696 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fantasy discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  27 Apr 2013
Latest post:  11 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions