Customer Discussions > drama discussion forum

Can we have Mark Kermode BBC?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Posted on 31 Mar 2012 21:24:05 BDT
Cheddarwasp says:
I'm reading his book at the moment IT'S ONLY A MOVIE. Which I am finding very funny and a little sad because all the Cinemas he frequented to feed his love of film have all been replaced by these bloody awful industrial estate IMAX 3D warehouses.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 14:23:39 BDT
Quaddy says:
kermode FTW! absolutely, i am forced to see just 10 mins, if that, with him on bbc news film segment, he should be given his own prime time film review show, he is the professor brian cox of the film world imho

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 14:23:21 BDT
mister joe says:
In terms of film critics i don't really like critics to be honest.Liked Alex Cox when he did Moviedrome,got a soft spot for Barry Norman as i grew up watching his show,Kim Newmans pretty cool,Lester Bangs.
One of my favourite critics of all time was the late,great Steven Wells...amazing writer.Charlie Brookers ace.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 14:16:11 BDT
mister joe says:
I think Claudia Winkleman is cute and no way as stupid as i intially thought.Kermode is just sweaty and annoying.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 11:38:37 BDT
John Gammon says:
Recently we lost Philip Jenkinson, who with Tony Bilbow ran a very watchable film programme in the early years of BBC2, but apparently fell foul of the distributors as they were too critical and were fired unceremoniously. Let's face it, the general level of film criticism nowadays is pitched at either Empire Magazine or Sight and Sound level, and there's little in between. I can't watch Claudia Winkleman as I doubt her knowledge; I also can't watch, say, Mark Cousins, as I suspect he needs to get out more. You'd think there'd be plenty of people who can present film programmes, but even Barry Norman would have trouble now with wall to wall multiplex: 3D kids films, and teen films trying to pass themselves off as adult films. What's needed is a Charlie Brooker of movies - someone who can see how daft they are but likes the experience anyway and can pick out the occasional good one.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 10:01:08 BDT
While the brilliant Mark Kermode is undoubtably our most well known and most ''proper'' film critic,I think your disparaging attitude toward both J.Ross & Miss Winkleman,(particuarly the suggestion that she is nothing short of a public school idiot who got her job(s) because of her mum)is offensive. Both are media proffessionals,of long standing.And you are too foolish to get that by having a co-presenter,the Beeb have finally made the programme un-biased(have you actually watched it?)as thay often disagree!

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 22:46:29 BDT
T. Moore says:
Kermode is not a film critic, he's a movie geek. In the old days he was popping up on telly everytime the words "banned" or "extreme" were associated with a film which annoyed me as much as his stupid hairstyle. Though now he's forced to comment on regular films now the extreme cinema just isn't any more, and frankly it's just a bunch of his own opinion and not much justification.

He's no Barry Norman and as annoying as Ross.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 14:57:47 BDT
Cheddarwasp says:
I'm only surprised it's not DAVINA she's on every other bloody show!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2012 08:12:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2012 08:13:47 GMT
Tony in PR says:
Me too! I put Kermode alongside Barry Norman - the others are trash!

Posted on 11 Mar 2012 02:27:10 GMT
truthsetter says:
Claudia Winklemen is an empty space

Posted on 11 Mar 2012 02:24:20 GMT
truthsetter says:
Kermode has NOT seen everything he only seems better compared to a lousy example.

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 12:04:21 GMT
Does anybody really take Kermode seriously?

Posted on 15 Feb 2012 09:28:39 GMT
mister joe says:
Claudia Winklemen is doing fine.Its just sexist,snob stuff this criticism.God no wonder film geeks are seen as mac wearing stamp collecting hot breathed losers.The show has to be degistible to impartial viewers.

Posted on 15 Feb 2012 09:24:14 GMT
mister joe says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 15 Feb 2012 09:20:05 GMT
mister joe says:
Why do people read Kermodes 3 for 2 whsmith books?Gore blimey......critics are just failed artists.I criticise everything for this very same reason myself.Frustrated artist.There are wonderful books on films out there read them.....i am reading conversations with terry gilliam,just finished The Making Of Blade Runner...amazing book.

Posted on 15 Feb 2012 09:14:38 GMT
mister joe says:
SNOB ALERT!!!!!!!Christ.....i hate Mark Weasle Eyed Kermode a self important,grease haired twerp who thinks he carries the same importance of the film makers he interviews.
If he presented Film no one but elitist,guardian reading,sight and sound quoting pompous snobs who bang on about Vertigo would watch.It would be 25 minutes of Weasle Eyes trashing every mainstream movie and raving about some european film about baggage handlers.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2012 20:14:19 GMT
gille liath says:
Thanks...it's still who you know, eh?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2012 13:21:31 GMT
DarrenHF says:
Yeah, I liked that book a lot more than his first one. Then again, I'd heard it all on the radio show, so there weren't any surprises in it. I would suggest that anyone who hasn't should go to the five live website and listen to the podcast of his review about Transformers 3. Hilarious.

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 09:25:45 GMT
Kermodian i like it.

Actually yeah mammia Mia is a joke lol, so I probably don't agree on everything . In fact I am currently reading Kermodes book "The Good, The Bad & The Multiplex: What's Wrong with Modern Cinema" it is brilliant but he has a strange obsession with Zach Efron lol

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2012 09:10:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2012 09:12:00 GMT
DarrenHF says:
He's not getting anywhere near my TV screen again.

I don't always agree with Mark Kermode (he liked Mamma Mia?), but I can always see where he's coming from, his love for movies is always evident even if he hates the movie he's talking about and he's so funny when he goes off on a Kermodian rant. We all need to start using the word Kermodian in an attempt to get it into the dictionary.

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 22:18:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jan 2012 22:19:22 GMT
I love Mark Kemode one of the only critics I ever agree with, I would watch Film 2012 if he did it.

I've never watched Claudia whatshername but she has to be better than Jonathon Ross hw was crap, he is just not funny and likes crap. He wrote a blurb saying how great Batman and Robin was FFS, it was on the DVD back covet, it said something like "best Bat yet".... PRAT ! He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a film programme ever again!

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 20:53:03 GMT
DarrenHF says:
Haven't watched Film XX since Barry Normal left and Ross took over. I listen to the Kermode/Mayo podcast every week. It's on the five live website. Start getting it now.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2012 19:14:25 GMT
GVI Gary says:
She's the daughter of Eve Pollard, former newspaper editor and Grumpy Old Woman; she's also half-sister-in-law to Prince Charles' second cousin. Which makes her pretty posh in my book!
Kermode's fabulous on the radio, but not sure he'd work for Film 20xx - especially without the "real person" balance Simon Mayo provides, and he's very much Ross's generation. The Beeb should try to unearth a fresh new voice, someone dedicated to film rather than a generalist presenter - we need a Brian Cox of the movies!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2012 01:37:47 GMT
P Jordan says:
A sentiment i am more than willing to go along with! seeing Mark Kermode give the Vacuous little twerp a slap would be worth watching.
I can't imagine the warped thought process that led up to Claudia Winkleman landing the job, next they will be getting a Panel of Half Witted Judges backed by an audience phone vote.
"And this weeks entry from Miramax is............Oh sorry it's been Voted Off"

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2012 01:11:01 GMT
"Smack him in his canister"?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the drama discussion forum (365 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  drama discussion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  18 Jan 2012
Latest post:  31 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions