Customer Discussions > documentary discussion forum

When will Attenborough come to blu-ray?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Mar 2011 17:39:08 GMT
M. Hewett says:
I love all of Sir David's programmes and I'm dying to own them all, however I don't want to go ahead and spend all that money when surely they are eventually coming out on blu-ray - but when?!
I know that 'Life' and 'Planet Earth' are out, as well as 'Nature's Great Events' and 'Madagascar', but how about all the others: 'Life on Earth', 'Living Planet', 'Blue Planet', and not to mention all of his 'Life...' works.
If anyone has any news at ANY time, please let me know!

Posted on 14 Mar 2011 22:55:26 GMT
M Hewett

A simple answer, they were all no doubt recorded onto low def video tape. However, it would appear that the BBC series Civilisation was indeed recorded on film, and has received a transfer to BluRay (out soon), and on BBC HD at the moment. It looks great in High Def. Civilisation [Blu-ray]

I guess the real question is, were any of the early David Attenborough documentaries 'filmed', as against 'taped'?

......and the answer to that is, I have no idea.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2011 12:09:45 BDT
bb says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2011 17:17:53 BDT
M. Hewett says:
Thanks bb, that was a really helpful reply to the post. Definitely answered my question. Next time I have a query regarding my personal interest I'll be sure to ask you first.

Posted on 10 Apr 2011 11:33:11 BDT
T Everson says:
The early Attenborough series, from 'Life On Earth' onwards, were recorded on 16mm film. Which means they could be upgraded to Blu-ray, but there would have to be a considerable amount of restoration work done before it could be released, and that's if the BBC still have the original film. 'The World At War', another 70s documentary was released on Blu-ray last year, and apart from some inexcusable cropping to make it widescreen, it came up pretty well. Costs a fortune though.

Posted on 11 Jul 2011 19:29:29 BDT
Yes, Get Life on Earth restored--it's flagship BBC and deserves the best.

Posted on 21 Jul 2011 08:21:53 BDT
M. Knell says:
You can't restore information that's not there. The early Lifes were shot on 16mm film, often in difficult jungle conditions, and you can see the flaws in the source material even on DVD. I understand that BBC Worldwide's view is that 35mm film is the minimum acceptable standard for remastering to HD video. Even with 20/20 hindsight shooting Life on 35mm would have been more or less impossible due to the sheer amount of filmstock and larger equipment it would have needed.

It's possible the old Lifes could be remastered and brightened a bit, but remastering wouldn't add additional resolution to the source film.

Posted on 11 Nov 2011 06:58:17 GMT
qashqai 57 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2011 15:57:30 GMT
A lot of 16mm material has been released on Blu-ray, with significant improvement in image quality over DVD. There's no reason to expect "Life On Earth" and its follow-ups can't look better than the current DVDs.

However, as you point out, the BBC has decided that it doesn't consider 16mm to be an HD source, and that means that if they were to restore the original films from Attenborough's early series, they will not be broadcast on BBC One HD. If the series won't be broadcast on BBC, then it's very unlikely that they'll bother with a costly restoration. This is probably the biggest hurdle in getting a BD release of these excellent documentaries.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  7 Mar 2011
Latest post:  14 Nov 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions