Customer Discussions > deals discussion forum

Ipad alternative

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Apr 2012 07:45:00 BDT
Lokking for an ipad alternative. with a budget of max 250. Anyone have any reccomendations?

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 07:58:15 BDT
Kev says:
Hi Samsung 8.9 Tablet at Currys / P C World is discounted at your budget price.
Kev...

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 10:03:37 BDT
R. Woolmer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 13:12:22 BDT
Sol Badguy says:
Kindle Fire!

...Good luck convincing Amazon to release it in the UK though...

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 10:04:31 BDT
Baz says:
Hi,
Purchased a Blackberry Playbook two weeks ago, upgaded to the new 2.0 software (free) and its good, you can even print a file to your Playbook over your home wifi network!
Nice size and well within your price range. Only problem if I put it down I have to fight to get it back!
BlackBerry PlayBook - Tablet - 16 GB - 7" TFT ( 1024 x 600 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 10:55:17 BDT
K. James says:
I have one.Bought in USA but everything is oriented for n American market. I would love to know how to buy through Kindle Usa with a UK bank card and how to have a Uk based systen. My fault for buying a remarkable machine without UK support.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 11:48:43 BDT
Thanks Baz i did look at those but was there not something about having a blackberry to be able to check emails or something. i have an iphone 4s but wanted something different to an ipad (and possibly cheaper). thanks for everyones replies so far

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 12:04:43 BDT
Whats everyones opinion on the Zenithink c91. i have ben tempted to buy this but was wondering what others thought. i have watched a few videos and its looks good

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 13:34:35 BDT
Baz says:
Hi Trigger
Whilst you can use your Blackberry phone to check your emails on the Playbook using Blackberry Bridge, (also acts as a wifi provider to the Tablet) you do not need a Blackberry to check your emails. With any wifi connection you can setup and check any provider emails on your Playbook, for instance I have a gmail account thats collected directly from my Playbook.

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 14:23:16 BDT
Clever Spud says:
"Whats everyones opinion on the Zenithink c91. i have ben tempted to buy this but was wondering what others thought. i have watched a few videos and its looks good "

I just ordered one so hopefully I'll be able to offer an opinion next week. FWIW, the only major feature lacking, which may colour your judgement, is that the BBC iPlayer app doesn't work apparently, but you can still watch the videos on the iPlayer website.

I ordered the one from here:

10.2" ZENITHINK ZT280 NEW VERSION 1 GIG RAM ANDROID 4.0 A9 C91 CORTEX TABLET PC FREE SCREEN FILM

... because it comes with a case and keyboard and free shipping - BUT the seller doesn't have many (61) recommendations so caveat emptor. If the thread is still going when I get it, I'll post my impressions.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 14:51:03 BDT
IMHO says:
Kev, the worst place to go on planet earth for customer service is Currys/Dixons/PC World. I've had appalling service from them in the past, and I wouldn't buy so much as a battery from them ever again. Amazon is the only place to shop for me!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 17:15:17 BDT
Thanks Clever Spud look forward to the review

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 17:16:49 BDT
thanks for that Baz, so you would defiantly reccomend the playbook then? my only concern is the 7" screen i really wanted a 10" screen but is it worth compromising if the playbook is that good?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 18:44:06 BDT
Baz says:
Hi Tigger

From my point of view the 7inch screen is a bonus, easy to carry etc and with the Playbook border areas being touch screen aware, it provides a nice touch.

The HDMI demo that's bundled with Playbook really does look as good as on the demo videos on the Blackberry site. HDMI output to TV is also available.You could always see the quality for yourself at Currys/PC World.

I have three films loaded along with music files and playback quality is very good, add to this that you can run two applications at once, a great battery life and that I can leave my laptop at home, then yes I am a convert.

Downsides

Touch Screen needs cleaning often but they do bundle a nice cleaning cloth or buy protectors which work fine.

Obviously not as many apps available yet but more are arriving every day for instance
Tablet TV for Blackberry is free and offers lots of stations including both BBC and ITV players.

Oh and I have no connection with Blackberry just like the freedom it provides for work and pleasure.

Good luck with your search.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 19:07:43 BDT
Thanks a lot for that baz im certainly leaning towards the playbook After your review, the hdmi is a very good addition. can i just pick your brains some more and ask if it has a word document type programme on it? so i can write whilst on the go. i will watch some videos on it, to be honest not concerned with the lack of apps as i have the iphone. but the playbook looks very smart. really appreciate your help mate

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 19:38:18 BDT
Baz says:
Hi Tigger

Yes the BB Player ships with Docs to go - Word Excel etc - as well as pdf reader and other apps, also available from the BB Store is pdf Creator so everything to work and send on the go. It works for me

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 19:47:38 BDT
Thats first class baz and thanks for the quick reply. i am definitly leaning towards it now. i have also just watched a few videos on it looks very impressive. though some reviewers say about needing a blackberry phone to check emails etc but after reading your review thats good enough for me

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 20:16:44 BDT
Baz says:
Hi
Let me clear up "needing a Blackberry phone to check emails"

If you wish to see your secure Blackberry phone emails on your Tablet then you would use the Blackberry Bridge software that provides a secure link to your Blackberry phone to view your emails. In other words your Tablet is not downloading secure BB emails just viewing them over the link.

However your Blackberry Tablet provides links for all popular clients through POP or IMAP, obviously for security one would use IMAP, that is what what BB recommend and that which I use for my gmail account.

Connection Tutorials are available on the Playbook Support site and it is straight forward. Please note that you have access to 90 days free tech support on purchase if all else fails.

Of course one could also use webmail access direct from the Tablet.

Trust this has cleared the "email issue" up for all.

Incidently I bought my 32GB Playbook from PC World for 200
Cheers

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 21:50:30 BDT
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab and then bought my son a Motorola Xoom so that I could actually use my Tab. The Xoom cost 200 les than the Tab and, apart from being slightly thicker and heavier, is every bit as good as the Tab. Video playback is excellent (through the Moboplayer app on Android Market) and the sound quality is good. The touch screen is very responsive and the user interface is very intuitive.

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 22:13:21 BDT
IS says:
recently bought a Xoom 32gB, wi-fi from Amazon 249 (wait till it comes back in stock) - unbeatable at this price - read heavy (708g v 653g for Ipad3) as robust - accessories also reasonably priced on Amazon

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 22:30:48 BDT
Cartimand says:
The HP Touchpad's hard to beat. 10" screen and technically comparable to the iPad. Even runs the Kindle app. I'm typing this on my Touchpad now. The best 112 I've ever spent!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 07:19:29 BDT
Thanks Baz that has cleared up the issue. i think i will go for that as its a decent price too. thanks for your help

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 07:21:27 BDT
hi Rita thanks for this i will certainly check them out before i make a final decision on the Blackberry,

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 07:22:43 BDT
Tha IS.will check out the xoom too,

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 07:24:49 BDT
Hi Cartimand i have looked at the touchpad and i was impressed i was just a bit concerned that its become obsolete for want of a better word, i know its a good tablet but just had issues as hp have dropped it. Thanks Anyway
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the deals discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  deals discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  71
Initial post:  9 Apr 2012
Latest post:  15 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions