Customer Discussions > deals discussion forum

Customer Service - poor

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Dec 2011 00:08:35 GMT
For Christmas my Daughter gave me an Amazon Gift Card.
Sadly it doesnt work.
However Amazon claim its not their problem, and advised me to take it to the shop it was purchased from.
The shop arent interested. They say as I have removed the foil strip from the card (that hides the claim number) I can not have a refund.
I now have a plastic card that cost 25 any offers?
I am hoping to get 35 to cover todays transport costs!

Posted on 27 Dec 2011 00:24:41 GMT
L. Boughey says:
Customer service should always be a company's main priority and this seems a bit below par for amazon.

Understandably it IS hard for them to separate false claims from serious ones and obviously they should have informed you that the shop would not be able to offer a replacement. It appears that whoever sold it to your daughter did not swipe the card or correctly load the money onto the card. Or they might even have given you a blank card after swiping another. It is so frustrating but from the shop manager's point of view anyone could bring a blank card in and claim that it had money on it.

However it would have been nice of Amazon to offer you some 'store credit' or a promotional offer code for 20% off or something. I guess it means no more amazon gift cards in future?! I think other people will be grateful of the warning and order things direct :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011 00:49:13 GMT
This could be an option - go back to the shop and ask to look on the cctv on the date your daughter brought your giftcard - this would show you if there was a mistake made by the worker/workers at the shop and will allow you to be refunded or replaced.

hope i help
Ryan

Posted on 27 Dec 2011 01:19:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Dec 2011 01:21:56 GMT
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) and Directive 99/44/EC both state when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be as described, of a satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. If your card is not working, you're entitled to replacement or refund. They may need to check that no purchases haver been made but it's possible for them to do so within a short time period. It is up to the retailer to resolve - that may require Amazons assistance but that is the shops concern, not yours. Email the shops head office rather than phoning or calling in person, explain the problem concisely and give them a short but reasonable time in which to respond. Also, mark your correspondence 'Official Complaint'.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011 05:25:13 GMT
I think what made things worse was that this was indeed a gift from my Daughter, who I know worked hard to earn the money to buy this. She only has a part time job, so it was quite a sacrifice.
Like all big companies Amazon seem to have a set list of answers to any customer question.
They forget that without their customers they would have no profit.
I was interested in the thought that the girl at the till may have swiped another card (maybe her own).
The stores employ a lot of casual workers this time of year.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011 05:27:47 GMT
Sound advise badger monkey.
Amazon should give you a job in their customer relations department.
I shall give this a go.
If not I guess I can always use the plastic card to scrape ice of the car windscreen!

Posted on 27 Dec 2011 05:35:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2011 09:25:31 GMT
BeRo says:
You seem to be venting your anger at the wrong company. It is the person who sold the card, and not Amazon. Until the card is activated at the till of the store selling the card, it is a worthless piece of plastic. I had a similar problem, and it was the person selling the card that was at fault. I pursued it with the shop selling the card, and even had to threaten legal action before they resolved the matter.

Posted on 27 Dec 2011 09:10:26 GMT
ME says:
How frustrating :( I must admit I always keep the receipt for giftcards and give them along with the card just in case there is a problem as I've never really trusted those things anyway!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011 23:56:51 GMT
No not Wilkinsons.

I think if Amazon are going to put their name to a product or item then they should accept some of the responsibility.
They are quick enough to accept their share of the profit

Its not as if they send me much.
An eBook costs them nothing to make really.
As always its the Honest people that lose out.

Posted on 27 Dec 2011 23:59:47 GMT
Deeky24 says:
But that's like saying Coke should take responsibility if Tescos fluff up on a sale of Coke to you! Your contract is with whoever you bought the item from, not who the brand owner is.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2011 00:08:21 GMT
After reading your comment i must say i have always found Amazon helpful and have always sorted out ANY problems that I may have had. Nothing has been too much trouble for them. Their staff are always helpful and polite, so on this occassion i must disagree

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 00:12:49 GMT
Just a thought... Does your daughter have the receipt from when the card was purchased. in my experience the plastic cards are little more than till swipe cards and the actual activation number you need is actually on the till receipt. This is the case of iTunes cards the actual plastic card is worthless without the number on the receipt. (otherwise all the cards on the shelves in the shops would be nabbed if they were all live)

Hope this helps

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 00:20:30 GMT
Maybe I phoned them on the wrong day.

I just hope I wasnt rude to the guy on the phone.
I had just come off a 12 Hour Night Shift (Staff Nurse)
So was probably a little fragile to say the least.

However, I stand by what I have said.
Amazon did not help me.
The shop did not help me.
and I am unhappy.

On that note my lunch Break is up so back to work.
Thanks for all your input everyone.
I shall follow the advise given earlier and email the shops head office tomorrow.
Take care
and all the best for the new year

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 00:22:44 GMT
Mr Chris says:
if the card has a scratch to reviel number, swiping the card shouldnt matter. its the unique code thats important. when it was bought if it was charged you should have a recipet linking the two? saying 25 has been added to card #
if the code isnt accepted what does it say, invalid or already used. is the card an official amazon one to enter the code via the amazon check out or do you need to redeem it through another website first?

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 00:28:15 GMT
Kurt says:
I would write a Letter Before Action to the retail store (not amazon), costs ~1.10 for recorded give them 7 days to sort you it out. Or do a charge back if you paid by a card. Say that you will also inform your local media and trading standards that they are not activating the gift cards.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2011 09:24:17 GMT
BeRo says:
"if the card has a scratch to reviel number, swiping the card shouldnt matter", alas it does matter. All gift cards are worthless until activated at the checkout.

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 09:47:21 GMT
Cassie says:
I hate giftcards and never buy them, I got an i-tunes card worth 25 before from Tesco's which is Irelands leading supermarket for all those that don't know and when I got home discovered it didn't work. Brought it back straight away and had the same problem, Tesco said it was i-tunes problem and i-tunes said it was Tesco's. I'm afraid I couldn't get my money back but hopefully you will.

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 10:44:32 GMT
N Waddick says:
It is quite possible that the card failed to activate at the register, this happens more often then you may think. You really need to check the recepit which will show the activation status on it. The person behind the till, when they have scanned the barcode the epos system will not let them continue the transaction until an activation attempt has been made then it will alert them to the status, this is printed on the recepit. You need the recepit or other proof of purchase (such as a copy of debit card statement or bank statement) and they offer this to the place you purchased it from. The contract for sale is with the retailer and not Amazon on this occasion.

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 10:56:00 GMT
M Elliott says:
These cards need to be activated at the store (for obvious reasons - if they didn't need to be activated they could just get stolen). If the card is not activated then as far as Amazon is concerned the card hasn't been purchased.

The store might need to contact Amazon to see if the card has been used (obviously to prevent someone using a card and taking it back to say it hasn't worked), and if it has not been used they should be able to activate it for you.

Posted on 7 Jan 2012 22:02:24 GMT
Finally success.
After a lot of hassle I have been issued with a new card.
I was informed that there were a batch of these that were faulty.

In case anyone else has Customer Service problems a little tip.
The Managing Director for Amazon UK is a man by the name Christopher North
and he can be contacted via email at
cnorth@amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2012 22:53:43 GMT
L. Azulay says:
I have purchased hundreds of items from Amazon and have yet to encounter poor service. As far as my experiences go, the service has been second to none - especially returns. Well done Amazon and please keep it up. Happy and regular customer, Lionel

Posted on 7 Jan 2012 23:11:52 GMT
Burger says:
I recently recieved a gift voucher from my house insurance to replace stolen items & activated it with no problems. when I purchased the items the gift voucher was not applied & the money was taken from my debit card, Now I am over 400 out of pocket. I phoned amazon & they said there was nothing they can do & I would just have to use the voucher for future purchases. I then asked to speak with a supervisor who then told me he would re-route the purchase to the gift card & credit my debit card......I'm still waiting for this to happen, Come on Amazon pull your finger out.

Posted on 8 Jan 2012 01:02:29 GMT
i recently made a purchase from Amazon and when it came to pay up popped an offer of having 5-00 discount if I then took up their Amazon credit card - I read all down through the legal paperwork and it seemed ok so I agreed - Completed the transaction to find the full amount ( without discount ) was charged to the card. - I sent an e-mail to them about it asking why I didn't get the 5-00 discount as promised as that was what prompted me to take out the card - That was 3 days ago and as yet I haven't recieved a reply - K J Whitfield

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2012 10:22:57 GMT
Spacepig says:
You didn't read the full T& C's Mrs Whitfield. If you did, you would have known that the 5 credit is given as a gift certificate to your account once your credit card application is approved. See this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html/ref=cobrand_bac_huc_vc_COMBO_for_25_V1_m?pr=ukconcbcc&inc=uk5gc&place=huc&ts=1rm0tt2ts4r8xbqptnd8ygcre56qch8&flavor=GC5&plattr=GC5&ad=CCBUL&imp=AIYL2P65INXL8

" A 5 Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate will instantly be loaded into your Amazon.co.uk account upon the approval of your credit card application4"

And point 4 says:

"Once you are approved we will instantly load a 5 Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate to your Amazon Account, this Gift Certificate will automatically be applied to your next order and you will see the 5 deducted from the order amount on the order confirmation page"

But I do understand your confusion, the way it is worded on the website is misleading in the extreme.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2012 12:50:54 GMT
I totally agree with this person, I have never had any problems with Amazon and will continue to use them. I have always contacted them if a problem has arisen and have alway received the best customer care. Well done Amazon.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the deals discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
MRW deliveries in Portugal 39 19 minutes ago
What annoys you? 738 31 minutes ago
Tell us a Joke 2 1401 37 minutes ago
Tea? 4479 1 hour ago
Favorite slang words? 68 1 hour ago
What pleases you? 15 1 hour ago
What song do you want played at your funeral? 375 1 hour ago
offical yodel complaints forum 1010 2 hours ago
The Bible ....Fact or Fiction????? 700 4 hours ago
Hermes parcel delivery - Utter incompetence and worse than anything Amazon ever used 679 17 hours ago
Amazon EU S.a.r.L. 46 19 hours ago
hermes delivery is the worst ever 1638 22 hours ago
ARRAY(0xb3b38d98)

This discussion

Discussion in:  deals discussion forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  27 Dec 2011
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions