Customer Discussions > deals discussion forum

CityLink delivery service - whats you experience?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 503 posts in this discussion
Posted on 31 Mar 2013 19:29:23 BDT
Miki says:
I have had several bad experiences with city link. If the seller uses them I try to source the product elsewhere. Difficult to track and unreliable.

Posted on 2 Apr 2013 21:44:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2013 13:00:14 BDT
Mike says:
I had an interesting "failed delivery" from City Link today - I was in all day to accept delivery. This is the record on City Link website for tracking Amazons delivery to me:

02/04/13 05:35 These goods have successfully arrived at the Depot ready for delivery.
02/04/13 08:03 These goods have been loaded onto a van for delivery today.
02/04/13 17:31 These goods are in our network.

Now, considering that there delivery slot is 0730 to 1730, and that I was in all day, and no card was posted, nor door bell rang (and it works), how is the package back into their network at 17:31h?

I know it is the Bank Holiday, but why post this up on the Amazon tracking, and City Link website to state (a) its in the van and (b) its out on the rounds for delivery.

I contacted Amazon via the webchat, and their Agent stated that it is showing "Failed Delivery" on their Amazon system. I advised Amazon Agent that (a) City Link did not attempt to deliver the package, so (b) how does it register failed delivery? I don't think this a driver issues, but may be systemic.

I advise that all those who do have a genuine issues with carriers to contact the Amazon Webchat to raise the issue, and request what is going to be done about it!!!!

Everyone has different issues with different couriers, but Amazon should be made aware of these issues as it will damage their reputation - as it is their supply chain, and in addition, we the customer have raised this as an issue and no action has been taken to address the issue.

update 03 April 13:
I rescheduled on the website for earliest date and this was Thursday 04 April 13 (0730-1730 slot), however, they have just dropped of the package today (03 April 13 @ 12pm). So City Link must of had a back log of delivers - if that is the case, I'd rather it just say a late delivery rather than inaccurate information that ties people to their homes waiting for deliveries.

Posted on 3 Apr 2013 07:05:23 BDT
Andrew says:
It seems I'm not the only one to have experienced an astonishingly bad service from city link.
They claimed to have attempted to deliver my package at 8.40 in the evening, they did not, and I'd paid extra for delivery before 1pm. I called Amazon and City Link to cancel the order and delivery. 2 days later a person who lives 3 streets away brought it to my home, they said City Link delivered it to them! it was delivered after I'd cancelled it and had my money refunded... I called City Link to come and pick it up but they refused and said I would have to send it back myself....disgusting service.

Second time I paid for a delivery before 1pm, at 4pm I called City Link. The csa said I was the only early delivery that day and he couldn't understand the delay as the driver was in the town hours ago. 10 minutes after he called the driver, the driver delivered the package. Maybe he had his feet up in a coffee shop?

Never again - if it says City Link are the courier on the Amazon website, I'm going to ebay instead

Posted on 3 Apr 2013 11:46:26 BDT
I ordered something at 8PM and it was on the doormat at 7AM the next morning... although Yodel is another story. AWFUL delivery company... just ordered something else, if it's sent via CityLink I'll let you know if it comes on time again ;)

Posted on 3 Apr 2013 13:01:22 BDT
Maralex says:
I use them all the time and found them to be Ok. I think it does depend a lot on your local depot and driver though. Each depot is a franchise and the service you get will depend on how good or bad it is run

Posted on 4 Apr 2013 15:28:12 BDT
GPxIT says:
Two parcels from Amazon this week via Citilink. Claimed nobody home on Tuesday when they clearly hadn't attempted delivery. I phoned their customer service dept and eventually the driver phoned for directions! Why did he need directions if he had already made the attempt that day? Eventually appeared 2 hours later

Booked a delivery for before 1pm today. Unfortunately sent via Citilink again. Marked as nobody home at 11:13 but again hadn't attempted delivery. Phoned customer service who told me it would be here by 12. Not here by 1pm so phoned again. Was told that it would arrive some time today - not great for a timed morning service. They intimated it was my fault for living in a rural area!! I do live rurally in Scotland as do nearly another 1 million people along with almost 10 million in England. If they cannot deliver to rural areas (I'm classed as "accessible rural" rather than "remote rural") then why do they offer the service? Other carriers have always managed (UPS, DPD, TNT). Even HDLN got here on time this week (for the first time)!

Parcel eventually arrived at 3pm with the driver (same driver as Tuesday) complaining that there was no way he could have been here any earlier as his route starts about 18 miles away. He told not to bother requesting delivery by 1pm as he can never make it. What sort of service is that? Take my money and fail to provide the service every time. Not happy.

Amazon have agreed to reimburse my delivery costs but that is not the point. If I pay for a service I expect to receive it.

Posted on 4 Apr 2013 19:33:58 BDT
CoasterNut says:
I ordered a couple of items this week from Amazon. One said the delivery time was 5 days away, didn't matter, not urgent - arrived in two days via Royal Mail. The other item, which WAS urgent, was ordered with Express Delivery (next day before 1pm) at a whopping £9. Okay, I thought, at least I am guaranteed to get it and I don't need to drive 20 miles to the nearest shop that sells the item. So, ordered on the morning of Wednesday 3rd April and when I checked Amazon later that day, sure enough, it said delivery Thursday 4th. Tracked package on Citylink website which said:

03/04/2013 7.39pm These goods have been scanned at the collection Depot and are now on route to the delivery Depot

Fantastic, I thought. Guess what happens next? Thursday 1pm comes and goes. As does 5.30pm. It is now 7.30pm and I still haven't received my order which I need for tomorrow. I wish I had gone and bought it from the shop now. I am absolutely gutted.

Why are Amazon offering this service, when they cannot fulfil it? Why are Citylink offering this service when they too, cannot fulfil it? If these companies were builders, Dom Littlewood would have been hounding them down by now. And to repeat the words of GPxIT - If I pay for a service I expect to receive it. STOP advertising 'Want this item by 'x' date?' when you cannot get it to me by that date.

Posted on 7 Apr 2013 15:36:02 BDT
Plummy mummy says:
We ordered a samsung tv. This was tracked as being delivered by citylink but never arrived. The parcel then went missing. Amazon weren't forthcoming in sorting it out. Eventually they said they would send it out but we cancelled and bought elsewhere!

Posted on 8 Apr 2013 03:17:49 BDT
Metalman says:
They are terrible!! not just with amazon other companies too, Citylink they leave no card, and when i had to chase a parcel, i was informed it had been delivered to a neighbour, but the driver had no idea which one!!! DPD so far have been the best but only deliver Mon -fri, and so far have always been within the time slot allocated, Hermes takes days to arrive, YODEL are a joke and DHL are merged with YODEL and they are awful. Royal Mail have been fine so far. this is the LE67 area

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2013 09:34:50 BDT
i have a parcel that has now been delivered to Aberdeen to some random guy - it should have been delivered to me in Gloucestershire 10 days ago. City Link are the WORST...

Posted on 8 Apr 2013 10:23:49 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 8 Apr 2013 10:27:39 BDT]

Posted on 8 Apr 2013 11:42:09 BDT
Bearman says:
If I can get a product without using City Link I will take that option every time. I have had 4 deliveries sent to me via City Link over the last couple of years. Same thing happens every time: receive notification that item is to be delivered between XXXam and XXXpm on such and such a date. I arrange to be in the house that day to receive package. As XXXpm time approaches I call City Link to find out if it is going to be delivered and they say he's on his way and will be with you by 7pm latest. 7pm comes and goes with no deliverey. Tracking says the parcel "is in the system". No one is answering phone in City Link. Next day tracking says "delivery attempted - no one home". 4 out 4 times the same thing has happened, and each time I have ended up going to the depot in person the following Saturday, because I cannot afford to spend another day at home wondering if they'll deliver or not. And dont bother complaining at the depot - first time I tried that, there was no one in complaints, or a senior position to complain to, and they were unable to trace which driver it was. The second time I complained, it took them forever to find my package, and when it turned up, it looked like they had been kicking it around the depot.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2013 17:34:59 BDT
I must be really really lucky!
we have a brilliant girl who delivers from Other suppliers
I wondered why I no longer received books from them
Our Lady even got them to return an office desk which we DID order from Amazon, delivered the undamaged part & sat on her warehouse till the other part was in, & then delivered it!!

Posted on 11 Apr 2013 16:09:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Apr 2013 16:29:24 BDT
AdamM says:
Ordered tv from amazon yesteday with prime membership for delivery today (11/04/13), tracked package and latest info was left Milton Keynes depot yesterday (10/4/13) at 15:32. Now 4pm on day of delivery so phoned CityLink - told by helpful agent that the parcel had arrived at wrong depot earlier today so will now be delivered tomorrow. Typical of CityLink really and why no update on the tracking to reflect this error ??!? - Also had another item due for delivery today which arrived by DPD at 10:44 this morning with no problems even though the TV was ordered first. Not Happy !! UPDATE: Phone back to find which depot it went to and it had gone to Leeming rather than Newcastle - 58 miles away, so they drove 180 miles up the M1 but then decided to stop 58 miles away from my front door !

Posted on 11 Apr 2013 16:24:29 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Apr 2013 16:25:56 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2013 17:57:03 BDT
Colin says:
I don't know if advance delivery notifications are unique to your local CityLink depot, but from Aberdeen I have NEVER had advance notification of a delivery from CityLink. I have from DPD with a time-slot and on one ort two other occasions had notification of a delivery day and the courier, from a seller - eg Boots.com.
Or perhaps the Aberdeen CityLink depot is unique in NOT making such notifications.
However, the service I have received here from CityLink over the past 4 years has been good.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013 13:57:43 BDT
Trea says:
Interesting! Just over a year ago £90 of shrubs and plants disappeared off the planet! When I went back to the company from which I had bought them, they contacted City Link and found that CL had delivered MY plants to someone else not even in my part of London!! Fortunately, the peeps to whom the plants had been delivered were very honest and contact the garden centre and told them to keep the plants! However, by the time I did receive MY delivery, the Garden Centre apologised that half the plants were no longer available for planting and sent substitutes!!

Posted on 12 Apr 2013 23:57:36 BDT
bear says:
I ordered a new mobile phone with a free 39" led tv on Wednesday 10/04/12 (not from Amazon) at about 5.40pm it was dispatched at 8.00pm that evening and arrived at 7.55am Thursday morning. The first time I have had a delivery from citylink. No complaints here

Posted on 1 May 2013 14:14:14 BDT
Anton says:
I'm a Prime Amazon member, and this is my experience with city link: they delayed my parcel for 5 days so far. They claim nobody was at home, however there are several flats in the house, and they didn't ring my neighbours to leave it at house, as other delivery companies always do. Instead they have been trying to redeliver it twice. On the first try they have not even left a note.
Also they never specify time slot when redeliver will be made.

Posted on 22 Jul 2013 19:59:19 BDT
Jay says:
Here is my experience;

22/07/13 15:26 The driver was not able to deliver these goods as the address details are incorrect/incomplete.
22/07/13 07:15 These goods have been loaded onto a van for delivery today.
20/07/13 11:42 These goods are in our network.
20/07/13 10:10 There was no one to receive the goods at the delivery point so a card was left.
20/07/13 06:54 These goods have been loaded onto a van for delivery today.
20/07/13 04:52 These goods have successfully arrived at the Depot ready for delivery.
19/07/13 19:26 These goods have been scanned at the collection Depot and are now on route to the delivery Depot.

No card was left for a fact, because I was in and had the bell & phone on, and checked my floor with no card there. Also they have delivered before, and spoke to the woman to confirm my ( correct ) address. Blatant lies.

Posted on 22 Jul 2013 22:39:33 BDT
lost parcel says:
city link

do not deliver at all

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2013 13:05:52 BDT
M. Grant says:
In my own personal experience from work, most of the private delivery companies are badly run outfits with poor management, most of which use various legal loopholes to pay their drivers peanuts, and who are forever losing or destroying or wrongly delivering items, and inevitably refusing to pay any compensation for damage or loss.

Royal Mail is a world-class service in comparison, but I'm sure that will all change once it's privatised and we end up like the Netherlands, where the dreaded parcel-crushers TNT operates their postal service and as turned it into one of the worst in Europe.

Posted on 2 Aug 2013 12:38:18 BDT
Ordered my new graphics card yesterday, Amazon Prime one day delivery, all good in the hood.

Tracked the order, it has been in transit from Gatwick since 6:30 this morning. I live in Brighton, which is, what, a forty minute drive?

It's nearly 1PM and it still hasn't arrived.

Citylink suck, it would appear.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2013 14:00:08 BDT
Colin says:
You are assuming that the driver is only carrying your package, or that yours is the first priority to be delivered?
The driver will have a round scheduled to make the deliveries in a logical order.
I would think that as long as you receive your package today sometime then the "next day delivery" has been met.

Posted on 12 Aug 2013 18:48:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Aug 2013 21:56:39 BDT
mouseym says:
Yeah, Citylink are the worst of the bunch, ordered a phone for one day delivery for today, seems to be stuck at the nearest depot since 9am today, not sent out for delivery, kinda useless when the phone was needed today.

If they werent going to bother to deliver it, they could have at least told me, I would have picked the phone up myself. Now that Amazon have also taken funds from my bank account with a seller who is refusing to dispatch an item and Amazon are not willing to help me, I may as well just stop using Amazon.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the deals discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Hermes UK and Amazon 2522 36 minutes ago
Conservatives; £12b, Welfare Cuts..? 541 44 minutes ago
Say something nice. 1118 55 minutes ago
Tea? 6323 57 minutes ago
Amazon EU S.a.r.L. 117 5 hours ago
delivery damage to property during delivery 1 7 hours ago
Tell us a Joke 2 4602 8 hours ago
Petition to scrap Yodel 595 9 hours ago
hermes delivery is the worst ever 2209 12 hours ago
What would you do(spend on) if you won the lottery 166 16 hours ago
offical yodel complaints forum 2815 18 hours ago
audible.co.uk 53 18 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  deals discussion forum
Participants:  334
Total posts:  503
Initial post:  9 Jun 2012
Latest post:  25 Mar 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions