Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > dance discussion forum

Suggestions for obscurish but great downtempo grooves

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-36 of 36 posts in this discussion
Posted on 31 Aug 2011 10:52:25 BDT
Ben Earle says:
Some of their artists have already been mentioned but Tri Angle records are worth checking out. Also, try "The Field", down tempo deep house that's some how akin too the post rock band "Explosions in the sky", who, incidentally, are also worth listening too for down tempo stuff.

Posted on 1 Sep 2011 15:12:30 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Cheers for these. Some interesting suggestions from the last half dozen posts so I'll be sure to check out quite a few I dont know. Currently caning a lot of Blue States. Been around a while but are seriously overlooked.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2011 10:42:53 BDT
Davetids says:
The first Blue States LP still sounds fresh today. The next 3 LPs didn't really touch it but all have their moments. If you like Nothing changes under the sun then the obvious recommendation there would be Fragile States (you can get a remixes comp with the first two LPs bundled fairly cheaply) Zero 7 (first LP is class) first Kinobe LP, first two Bent LPs. Check out the Baby Mammoth comp (best foot forward?) and Fila Brazillia circa Power Clown and go from there.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 12:30:22 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Pretty much agree with you re all of these though I like Blue States's fourth esp after the poor third album. You heard of Boozoo Bajou. Playing their first 2 albums quite a bit at the mo, Satta and Dust My Broom. They manage to mix in cajun stuff and all sorts in with electronica. Should be up your street or strasse as they are German.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 11:25:35 BDT
Davetids says:
Yeah, they're not bad. they did a comp a while back (maybe 10 years?) that was pretty good, juke joint or something like that. I'd give that a listen, might tip you onto some other stuff - Looking at the track listing (been a while since I listened to it) I would definitely recommend rhythm & sound (they are essentially basic channel) and Tommy Guerrero.

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 11:08:54 BDT
Dan Fante says:
Mixmaster Morris' solo project Irresistible Force is brilliant downtempo stuff. Check out 'It's Tomorrow Already'. Probably the most accessible and best of the lot.

Posted on 20 Jun 2012 13:01:51 BDT
G. Hanks says:
I'd recommend Funky Lowlives, first and second album. The second album is very similar to Air, whether that's a good thing for your tastes or not.

I assume as you're already into Tosca that you've got some Kruder and Dorfmeister. If not check out K&D's "DJ Kicks" and "Sessions," sublime stuff.

If you're looking for psyambient world music (or whatever genre it sits in) in a Shpongle vein then check out Shulman, Kuba and Entheogenic.

Posted on 14 Aug 2012 10:37:08 BDT
flipmode says:
Nicolas Jaar ? loving his work at the moment, very crisp clear sounds , thought proviking music.
Robag Wruhme - Thora Vukk
Have you heard of Late Night Tales compilations ? plenty on Amazon , i picked up a few for 1p each used.
Different Dj's showcase a list of their fav tracks nicely mixed.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2012 00:04:06 BDT
Mr Z says:
Maybe not what your looking for ? But seriously give them a try. These tracks really stand out for me and it's took me till my 40's to discover the beauty and euphoria of Anjunabeats and Anjunadeep
1. Afterthought (Original mix) - Parker & Hanson
2. How you make me smile - Jody Wisternoff
3. Beautiful Life (Original Mix) - Martin Roth
4. Ghosts in the machine (Original mix) - Michael Cassette
5. Nothing ever lasts - Cosmic Gate & Andrew Bayer

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 01:27:18 GMT
G. Hanks says:
Been listening to some G Love and Special Sauce recently. I recommend checking out their song "Blues Music" to see if it's to your tastes.

If you like Boards of Canada then I'd recommend Galtrim by Ciaran Byrne as for me they both sound fairly similar.

Posted on 6 Jan 2013 11:59:50 GMT
Tec-know says:
Albums all worth checking for deep downtempo music - you can check the reviews on Amazon.

YMC ‎- Essentials
Nor Elle ‎- 2nd Home
Norken & Deer - Micro Donjuan
Vince Watson - Every Soul Needs A Guide
Snakestyle - Snakestyle (all three albums)
James vs Sabres Of Paradise, The - JAM J (CD VERSIONS SOLD (Continues Track) UNDER VINYL)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the dance discussion forum (102 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  dance discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  19 Jan 2010
Latest post:  6 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions