Customer Discussions > dance discussion forum

Suggestions for obscurish but great downtempo grooves

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 Jan 2013 11:59:50 GMT
Tec-know says:
Albums all worth checking for deep downtempo music - you can check the reviews on Amazon.

YMC ‎- Essentials
Nor Elle ‎- 2nd Home
Norken & Deer - Micro Donjuan
Vince Watson - Every Soul Needs A Guide
Snakestyle - Snakestyle (all three albums)
James vs Sabres Of Paradise, The - JAM J (CD VERSIONS SOLD (Continues Track) UNDER VINYL)

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 01:27:18 GMT
G. Hanks says:
Been listening to some G Love and Special Sauce recently. I recommend checking out their song "Blues Music" to see if it's to your tastes.

If you like Boards of Canada then I'd recommend Galtrim by Ciaran Byrne as for me they both sound fairly similar.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2012 00:04:06 BDT
Mr Z says:
Maybe not what your looking for ? But seriously give them a try. These tracks really stand out for me and it's took me till my 40's to discover the beauty and euphoria of Anjunabeats and Anjunadeep
1. Afterthought (Original mix) - Parker & Hanson
2. How you make me smile - Jody Wisternoff
3. Beautiful Life (Original Mix) - Martin Roth
4. Ghosts in the machine (Original mix) - Michael Cassette
5. Nothing ever lasts - Cosmic Gate & Andrew Bayer

Posted on 14 Aug 2012 10:37:08 BDT
Syro says:
Nicolas Jaar ? loving his work at the moment, very crisp clear sounds , thought proviking music.
Robag Wruhme - Thora Vukk
Have you heard of Late Night Tales compilations ? plenty on Amazon , i picked up a few for 1p each used.
Different Dj's showcase a list of their fav tracks nicely mixed.

Posted on 20 Jun 2012 13:01:51 BDT
G. Hanks says:
I'd recommend Funky Lowlives, first and second album. The second album is very similar to Air, whether that's a good thing for your tastes or not.

I assume as you're already into Tosca that you've got some Kruder and Dorfmeister. If not check out K&D's "DJ Kicks" and "Sessions," sublime stuff.

If you're looking for psyambient world music (or whatever genre it sits in) in a Shpongle vein then check out Shulman, Kuba and Entheogenic.

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 11:08:54 BDT
Dan Fante says:
Mixmaster Morris' solo project Irresistible Force is brilliant downtempo stuff. Check out 'It's Tomorrow Already'. Probably the most accessible and best of the lot.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 11:25:35 BDT
Davetids says:
Yeah, they're not bad. they did a comp a while back (maybe 10 years?) that was pretty good, juke joint or something like that. I'd give that a listen, might tip you onto some other stuff - Looking at the track listing (been a while since I listened to it) I would definitely recommend rhythm & sound (they are essentially basic channel) and Tommy Guerrero.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 12:30:22 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Pretty much agree with you re all of these though I like Blue States's fourth esp after the poor third album. You heard of Boozoo Bajou. Playing their first 2 albums quite a bit at the mo, Satta and Dust My Broom. They manage to mix in cajun stuff and all sorts in with electronica. Should be up your street or strasse as they are German.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2011 10:42:53 BDT
Davetids says:
The first Blue States LP still sounds fresh today. The next 3 LPs didn't really touch it but all have their moments. If you like Nothing changes under the sun then the obvious recommendation there would be Fragile States (you can get a remixes comp with the first two LPs bundled fairly cheaply) Zero 7 (first LP is class) first Kinobe LP, first two Bent LPs. Check out the Baby Mammoth comp (best foot forward?) and Fila Brazillia circa Power Clown and go from there.

Posted on 1 Sep 2011 15:12:30 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Cheers for these. Some interesting suggestions from the last half dozen posts so I'll be sure to check out quite a few I dont know. Currently caning a lot of Blue States. Been around a while but are seriously overlooked.

Posted on 31 Aug 2011 10:52:25 BDT
Ben Earle says:
Some of their artists have already been mentioned but Tri Angle records are worth checking out. Also, try "The Field", down tempo deep house that's some how akin too the post rock band "Explosions in the sky", who, incidentally, are also worth listening too for down tempo stuff.

Posted on 29 Aug 2011 13:48:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Aug 2011 13:52:55 BDT
D Ashley says:
nice to see this thread still gets hits every so often :)

Been on a big lounge / chilled breaks dig recently so here's a few highlights

Phaeleh - Fallen Light
Ok so i know this isn't exactly breaking news to most, but definately deserves a mention in this thread. Some of the most cinematicaly beautiful (and tasteful) dub step imaginable
Just YT the main single Afterglo...nuff said

The Flashbulb - Kirlian Sessions
If I give this album as much praise as it deserves none of you will believe me, so i will leave the few to discover it by themselves. One hell of diverse album - seems like no 2 tracks are anywhere near the same tempo. All sorts thrown: in heavy glitch, even heavier serenity and all the spectrum inbetween
YT autumn insomnia session

Chicane [Mixed works]
If I say chicane, people are liable to cough, point to their eletronic music exhaustive encyclopedia and tell me that chicane makes trance, wrong thread, go home and try again.
You'll have to pick and choose for yourself but here are some of his earlier works and B-sides at the loungey downtempo end of the spectrum

Furry Phreaks - Soothe (chicane jazz mix)
EBTG - Before Today (Chicane Mix)
Chicane - Low Sun
Chicane - Music for elevators

And A Final stunning vinyl cut to check out if you havn't already
Heights Of Abraham - E.V.A.

Much love to all

Posted on 25 Aug 2011 18:54:43 BDT
some great new stuff out there:

Keep Shelly In Athens
oOoOO
Cinephile
Bonobo
Eskmo
Submotion Orchestra
Sun Glitters

Posted on 24 Aug 2011 06:31:08 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 18 Oct 2012 23:08:00 BDT]

Posted on 23 Aug 2011 18:00:32 BDT
Davetids says:
You could try the likes of Skeewiff, Backini & Flevans if you like the more "funk" side of things, there's enough humour and beats in them to carry it.

Posted on 23 Aug 2011 16:51:59 BDT
Davetids says:
Deffo BoC but you will already be aware of them.
Would also second Lindstrom tip. Psychemagik, Wizards Sleeve, Time & Space Machine et al.
Wax Tailor worth a listen on the smokey beats tip. Maybe DJ Mitsu the Beats.
Solar Bears and Lone on the electronicy beats side.
One mix worth listening to is the DJ Paul Nice pick your feet, it's all library and soundtrack stuff.
If you like Schnauss then I would definitely say give port-royal a listen.
Blockhead you should already be well aware of given your Ninjatune leanings.

Try poking around on last.fm artists pages as it will recommend other artists and I've found some good stuff on there randomly.

Posted on 29 Jul 2011 22:02:18 BDT
Silver says:
Take on Selected Ambient Works Vol. 1 if you haven't already, pretty essential. Also, seconding Mrs Jynx (amazing stuff) amongst others. Milieu's decent, pretty ambient at times though. Hmm...how about Lindstrom & Prins Thomas? Both their collaborative albums are very chilled, interesting electronica. I categorised it as 'space lounge', haha. Also check out: De-Phazz, Kyoto Jazz Massive, and Yonderboi. There's a ton of stuff out there based off those three alone, if you don't mind filtering our the dull, cliche lounge music from the truly innovative downtempo artists. I realise this is a necro, but hopefully it helps anyone else who stumbles across this thread...

Posted on 14 Oct 2010 09:00:11 BDT
My boss recently put me onto Ulrich Snauss, sounds alright but I've not given it a proper go.

Tons and tons of Aphex Twin/Polygon Window stuff would suit, e.g. Polygon Window - If It Really Is Me. Particular faves at the beatless end of the scale are 'Stone In Focus' and 'Rhubarb'.

Autechre and Black Dog also did some magic stuff back in the day :)

Posted on 2 Sep 2010 20:29:13 BDT
JJ says:
For me Oceanlab really hit's the spot, try Breaking ties or Miracle into youtube...Taken from their album Sirens of the Sea (2008)

Posted on 22 Jul 2010 14:49:54 BDT
D Ashley says:
Hey mate - couple of rare finds I've been loving >>>
Cathedral of sound compilation - has some gems on it - personnal favourite track 4 - free at last >>> and this stuff is rare as hell - not made it on to YT or anything.

Being a big jungle fan I would recommend the Earth compilations from the Good looking Records stable (if you havn't got there already) - which is the downtempo arm of the operation - some nice bits there

You can get a compilation called "i can't believe its not trip hop" for about 33p right now >>> and thats been growing on me a lot - the artists on there seemed very elusive on discogs etc.

If you could email me your personnal tips on early bristol scene I'd be very appreciative mate >>> I'm always curious how this stuff gets started and tho trip hop fascinates me I'm far less educated than i'd like

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2010 09:56:57 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
CJ -I'm well into some of these like Fila B, Up Bustle & Out, Future SoL, D Holmes, Global Comm, Wagon Christ, Cinematic Orch, Lamb and Loop Guru but arent familiar with the rest so I'll see if they're on Spotify.
ADH - I have most of the Solid Steel mixes as I pretty much have all Ninja Tune stuff up to 2005 and als have all BoC stuff. Never heard the others though
ta one and all

Posted on 2 Jun 2010 01:15:49 BDT
D. Beadsmore says:
Now you got me thinking, I think you'd love Ochre, Tycho, Freescha, Bola and maybe Flunk

Posted on 2 Jun 2010 01:09:57 BDT
D. Beadsmore says:
Definitely Boards of Canada and also Mrs Jynx is beautiful downtempo stuff.

Posted on 26 May 2010 17:16:41 BDT
A. D. Holden says:
why dont you try and get hold of all the Solid Steel mixes, there all really good. also check out John Hopkins and Ulrich Schnauss. or if your into beats, Fdel and Flow Dynamics. i agree with CJ Loades and Aidy, check out anything on grand central records and boards of canada. And try Tru Thoughts, might not be your thing, but this label is amazing.

Posted on 26 May 2010 16:17:47 BDT
Aidy says:
Boards of Canada
Theodore
Susumu Yukota
Boats
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the dance discussion forum (101 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  dance discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  19 Jan 2010
Latest post:  6 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions