Customer Discussions > dance discussion forum

Being an electronica fan's a lonely place

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2014 18:20:30 GMT
nuff respect ! :) x

Posted on 14 Aug 2012 10:19:37 BDT
flipmode says:
I guess it's better to be feeling lonely than to be buying music that's produced for the brain dead masses such as X-Factor etc etc.
All your loneliness proves is you're not following the flock , more of a black sheep.
Just to let you know there's many of us 'black sheep' around, we're easy to spot as we will be the ones not watching Saturday prime time tv for the next 4-5 months wasting our time, effort and monies ringing up to vote for someone in a glorified Karaoke show

Posted on 24 Jul 2012 23:50:42 BDT
fabric series is quite good

Posted on 20 Jun 2012 14:16:19 BDT
G. Hanks says:
"Of my pretty large work and social circle no one else has even heard of these."

I've been pretty lucky with a fair portion of my friends loving the more obscure side of electronica. In fact it was a few uni mates who introduced me to Shpongle and Hallucinogen. I found my own way into the likes of Fila Brasillia and just passed it on to them. The good thing about the downtempo stuff is that you can put it on when just chatting with friends and they tend to like it.

Posted on 26 May 2012 21:23:09 BDT
http://open.spotify.com/track/5xSwRj6Ib7WP235kciapfk

Posted on 12 Nov 2011 00:01:30 GMT
Benderama says:
What's electronica? is it electro?
agreed: being into any form of Electronic dance music other than dubstep, drumb & bass and RnB with a trancey backing (you can tell if it's pop music when the producer is listed as featured). You wouldn't believe that barely anywone under 18 knows what house music actually is.
agreed: electro has really blurred, it has become the staple of electro house records, but has also blended into techy-house as well as being taken to the more pop music kinda scene. but I'm not really sure about this.
but EDM is every still, and it is still very much underground. even though Ibiza was kinda resurrected last year, this wasn't with any help from those "superstar DJ's" or the rap stars tainting the white isle.
There are plenty of record labels dedicated to each genre, it's easy to seek them out just by googling as well (e.g. defected for house, anjunabeats for trance), but eventually you will find one with a sound you like.

also, don't listen to people putting down a compilation because it's too commercial (I know i said pop music is bad for the scene), If you like it, ya might aswell keep listening :)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2011 16:06:38 GMT
Blastronaut says:
Never really given d&b much of a go Nuge, and certainly never purchased any for mixing on the CDJ's (if I'm to be honest, I'd possibly struggle mixing it) but suppose it'd be unfair for me to say I dislike it. Many moons ago, I'd hear the odd d&b tune that was quite catchy but wouldn't have a clue who it was. Reckon I'll check out the outfits you've listed and see what's what.

Re Global Underground, every one that I own or have heard go from bloody brilliant to dire in the space of one comp. Suppose in some cases you'd call the steadier stuff 'set-building' but in others, the DJ's idea of a good tune is on a different planet to what I'd throw in to the second half of a set!

Posted on 11 Nov 2011 09:51:24 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Actually quite liked some of the early Goa stuff when it came out like stuff on Flying Rhino, Dragonfly, Transient and TIP but most of it hasnt dated well IMO. A few of the better acts changed their styles for the better like Juno Reactor. Bible of Dreams and Shango still sound good. As for trance there is the odd album I enjoy like Paul van Dyk's No Way Out and the Sasha and Digweed's Northern Exposure series. I also used to have the first 20 of the Global Underground comps but got bored of them and sold the lot on zon. You into drum n bass at all Blastro? Although I like a lot of old school like Omni Trio and LTJ Bukem I think Hospital is easily the best thing that's happened to the genre.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 17:07:46 GMT
Blastronaut says:
Don't mind trance if I'm honest Nuge, but I prefer the darker techno-ish sort rather than the vocal and uplifting stuff. Still has to go along at a nice rate, mind. Not so struck on the steadier, sorta ambient type.
Don't get me wrong, I've got nowt against uplifting dance music, and adore the old type italo and other vocal house. Just not so comfortable with vocal type trance.
Am quite partial to a bit of the old early 90's goa too, tho I'm pretty sure that's not your bag.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 16:33:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2011 16:35:31 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Kinda Blastro. Used to live in the 'Pool so went there fair few times back in the mid 90s. Never been to any of t'others. Never was into all that glowstick trance stuff. Much more of a Ninja Tune/Mo Wax/Warp etc bloke

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 16:05:46 GMT
TheFoe says:
Have to look out for that one Nuge, cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 15:46:19 GMT
Blastronaut says:
Suppose it's down to what type of dance yer into really, Nuge. I mean, if you like trance, then there's a good chance you'll like at least a couple Gatecrasher comps, and if yer like house, then the Renaissance comps may do it for ya.
S'far as I'm concerned, the big club comps are/were never about the actual club, rather just sticking a big name on the package.
Never personally did any of the 'Super Clubs' back in my day, just sticking to the likes of Back To Basics (Leeds) Golden (Stoke) Jam/Music Factory (Sheffield) The Yard/Venue 44 (Mansfield) and a few more small or 'underground' establishments. Those there venues were plenty super enough for me, I can tell thee. : )

Did go to Cream once if that counts as a superclub?

Posted on 10 Nov 2011 13:09:51 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Indeed I do Foe as they're based here in sunny Mannheim. Got to know them through Hardfloor, Oliver Lieb and psy trancers Der Dritte Raum way way back. I do know this track as it happens.

You heard the new Field album 'Looping state of mind' ? Bit of a cracker as it happens. As with the other 2 albums it initially sounds quite repetitive but on closer listening and there's much more going on.

Posted on 10 Nov 2011 12:12:52 GMT
TheFoe says:
Does anyone on here rate the Harthouse compilations? Here is a song from Axis Of Vision, it's called Shapechanger and the artist is Braincell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5_Ga0f_aro

Posted on 10 Nov 2011 11:38:21 GMT
Agree with Nugent. I guess those compilations cater for the masses though...which says a lot about clubbing these days. Went to ibiza a couple of years back and found most of the music dull and one dimensional.

Posted on 10 Nov 2011 09:23:29 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Hey Blastro...so what's the right sort of club? I'm talking about the stuff that gets played in bog standard clubs. Then again I never enjoyed the CD compilations put out by 'superclubs'. Some of the Fabric ones are OK but most of the stuff put out by Renaissance, Gatecrasher, Gods Kitchen and Slinky is pretty formulaic and dull ..IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 00:15:13 GMT
Blastronaut says:
Nowt wrong with club music, Nuge. So long as it's the right sort of club.

Posted on 9 Nov 2011 16:54:09 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Ah well James L Davies, if you went on the Music Forum fans of electronica are vastly outnumbered by those who at the very least ignore it completely although quite a few have a totally negative attitude towards it. Not so differeent in the real world. I'm not talking of cheesy sh*tty club music but more of the music for the head stuff as put out by Warp, Ninja Tune, Tru Thoughts, Em:it and downtempo or ambient acts like The Field, Trentemoller, Boozoo Bajou, Tosca, Thievery Corp not to mention sadly overlooked and now defunct outfits like Baby Mammoth, Fila Brazillia and Palm Skin Productions. Of my pretty large work and social circle no one else has even heard of these. I'm also a lone drum n' bass nut, esp of the Hospital label. The attitude of people I know is that they think it's music for teen chavs not that I think any ASBO oik would listen to the likes of London Elektricity and old skool stuff such as Omni Trio, LTJ Bukem and Roni Size.

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 04:03:30 GMT
Why is it a lonely place?

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 03:30:02 GMT
WARP says:
Not in my world its not

Posted on 19 Oct 2011 18:26:52 BDT
Looks like you nailed that heading just right/

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2011 14:56:38 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Oct 2011 15:15:49 BDT]

Posted on 18 Oct 2011 13:18:23 BDT
A customer says:
..... ..... ..... .. .. .. .. ..... ..... .... .. . . . . ..... .....

Initial post: 18 Oct 2011 11:08:56 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Oct 2011 15:15:32 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  dance discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  18 Oct 2011
Latest post:  24 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions