Customer Discussions > country music discussion forum

Does the UK do contemporary American style country?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Mar 2011 10:10:59 GMT
Hockeynut says:
I don't know how to explain this, but I'll try anyway.

I'd say I'm fairly new to Country Music. Though I've always had a bit of a taste for it, even back when CMT used to be on in the UK. I tend to go through phases of listening to it and not so, I think I kind of forget about it, since there's very little coverage over here. So on and off for the last 10 years or so, maybe a little longer.

But last week I got a new toy, a new internet radio, and thought I'd try a real authentic Nashville Country Station. I ended up finding WSM-FM, and my new radio has barely played anything else since! :D Aside from he cheesy adverts I'm loving pretty much everything they play.

I don't know how to describe the type of country music I like, other than contemporary. That station says it plays from the 90's onwards, and I'd say I like that. Then I try other stations and hear the older style of country music and I'm not so keen on that. I tried looking for any UK country stations to see what they played, but it seems to more folk music. Now no offence to anyone who likes that, but to me it isn't country music, or at least how I've heard. The stuff I like makes me smile and laugh sometimes too. Even the sad ones seem to have a feel good vibe to them.

So I've tried, not very concisely, to describe the type of country music that I like. So my next question, is there anything like that in the UK? Either live kinda gigs/festivals or radio stations? I've had a little look, but it seems less the kind of style I like, and more old-style or folky. This is why I've tried to describe the kind of thing I like, so that this can be answered better.

I've often wondered if for me, the accent that the song is sung in makes a big difference, I'm unsure as I've not found anything similar.

I hope the above makes sense. :)

Posted on 24 Mar 2011 09:24:06 GMT
J P E WALSH says:
you presumably listen to Bob Harris on radio2 thursday nights.....i am in similar situation and look forward to hearing wsm fm.as per your rec..there was the most amazing site on thr net called milesof music.com and kept me right up to date and it has now gone bust...so I am looking for a similar site .....cdbaby.com is quite good and caters for all those bands that are not represented by a company and there is some very good stuff in there...All best Jeremy Walsh

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2011 20:04:38 GMT
bonjour says:
Yes you should check out Belle Cannon on the internet as she's totally contemporary and about to launch and tour a new albumThat Thing You Do
Enjoy!

Posted on 25 Mar 2011 20:29:51 GMT
P. Bain says:
I recently attended a concert of a young country duo called Raintown and purchased their album on iTunes and it was amazing. They have a fresh american contemp country sound and are great live.
Their website is www.raintownmusic.com
Hope this helps
S x

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2011 20:42:26 GMT
bonjour says:
Yes it is good to see young people making their mark. I like the album. The Belle Cannon single 'That Thing You Do' taken from the forthcoming album 'Rewind' was recorded in Nashville is available on ITunes, CD Baby and Amazon. The website is www.belle-cannon.co.uk Check out the backing musicians who include Grammy Award winners.That Thing You Do

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2011 19:17:32 BDT
Hi,our local radio ,Radio Devon had a good Country show on once a week,took it off and put on folk.
Tried listening does not do it for me at all.
Youtube has 1,ooo's of country music songs old and new,I am not too keen on some of the new,but the Irish new country I like.
Best UK artist who does tour and is REAL country is Travis Logan,many of his songs in my uploads on my youtube channel. BABSINUK
Try Dan Seals,you might like him
A top channel for true Country music is oldtexasmusic mostly very old.australianfan uploads a lot of the newer songs ,large varied selection on these channels,you should be spoilt for choice and definitely find the songs that become part of your life.
Barbara.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  23 Mar 2011
Latest post:  9 Jul 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions