Customer Discussions > country music discussion forum

How come this is the first post? Where are all the Country fans?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 555 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Sep 2008 09:13:22 BDT
hypergod says:
I know from the reviews that there are Country fans on Amazon (not to imply that a Country fan ONLY likes Country Music) so why haven't any of you written in?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2008 13:40:57 BDT
I don't bother with message boards!
It always ends up becoming bitchy and rude......

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2008 13:47:38 BDT
hypergod says:
Does it have to? Anyway, anyone who oversteps the line can be reported to Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2008 13:21:37 BDT
N. S. Irwin says:
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Roy Drusky's - 18 Original Country Classics?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2008 23:08:11 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Hi Steven,
This Country music fan is usually out there actively supporting live, British Country artistes and Country music clubs. I'd hate to see them disappear through lack of support. Consequently, I don't spend much time on the internet.
How about you? Do you go to live Country music events?
Regards.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2008 23:12:07 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Hi,
It might be worth trying "Country Music Store", tel:01239 654663.
They have helped me in the past.
Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2008 12:39:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2009 13:56:30 BDT
hypergod says:
Hi Misfit,
I finally worked out how to get a less pompous sounding title, since Amazon stuck me with Mr etc! I don't go out at all (sounds like it has the makings of a Country song!) unfortunately . It would be good if you'd let people know about any clubs or gigs you'd recommend. Where are you (I'm in Somerset!)?
Regards backatcha!
Incidentally, in case you're interested, there is an online petition to bring back CMT which, though not perfect, is much better than nothing! The address is...
www.ipetitions.com/petition/CMTeurope/
Go on, sign up everybody (like there's loads of you on here!).

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2008 20:05:28 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Hi, hy!
I live in Devon but go down to Par, near St.Austell, Cornwall, to the Heavy Transport CMC every fortnight (Fridays). They need support desperately. The people are very friendly and it's always a brilliant evening.
I also go to Golden Garters CMC at Treviscoe, Cornwall on the alternating Saturdays. Again, it's always a brilliant evening and the natives are very friendly.
Country Music people are the nicest people around, wouldn't you say?
The next gigs at Heavy Transport =
Oct. 3rd - Spur
Oct.17th - Bobby D. Sawyer
Next at Golden Garters =
Sep.27th - Beau Blake
Oct.11th - Bonnie Diamond & Coe
Hop on board, cowboys & cowgirls! Let's keep Country music alive.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008 00:11:43 BDT
D. Rice says:
Speaking as a guitar, banjo & mandolin player of many years and quite a few bands, I have a serious question for you 'Country' fans and it's this: just what exactly qualifies as 'Country' music? For instance just to clarify the basis for my confusion, where does Country music end and Folk music start? When does it become rock or blues? If Jennings is country, does that mean that Gilkyson isn't? If the Dixie Chicks are in, is Iris Dement out? Should I throw my Tele out and channel surf the Taylor instead?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2008 16:42:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Sep 2008 17:36:56 BDT
hypergod says:
Misfit,
Thanks for the info. Hopefully, even if people don't post on here they'll read it and attend if they're in the area. Really wish I could! Maybe one day.......

David,
I guess the closest one can get is 'whatever YOU think is Country, is'. It's always going to be personal. According to Amazon, Kings of Leon, Sandy Denny and Creedence Clearwater Revival are!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2008 02:08:09 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Hey, Hypergod,
What is preventing you from going to live Country music gigs? I know of some Clubs in your county. You don't have to worry about going alone. You will be amongst friends when you get there.
I always go alone, like many other fans.
Like they say "The way to a friend's house is never long"

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2008 13:13:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Sep 2008 13:14:29 BDT
hypergod says:
Misfit,
The short answer (and I hope this doesn't leak into my 'posts') is Clinical Depression. Sorry to answer with such a downer, but it's the truth. I would have no worries about going alone (if I were 'me', if you see what I mean), I used to be VERY out-going, exactly the sort of person not to be as I am now, but I believe that's quite common. The people who get it are the ones you wouldn't expect to. Once I get well (AND I WILL!!!) I'll come and see you at GG or HT, if that's okay? Like they say, "The way to a friend's house is never long"!
Hope all is cool with you, anyway.
Why not post those Somerset clubs on here. Even if I can't go, others might pick up on them. After all, our words are read by thousands (well, at least three, apart from us!).
Adios!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2008 00:03:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2008 00:07:11 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Hey, Hy,
I know only too well the nightmare of depression. I was diagnosed with it when I was 13 and have lived with it ever since. Medication doesn't help me but Country music and the people I meet at Socials do. (I also line dance which appears to be a cure-all).
You are right to think positive about getting better because YOU WILL.
There are several Clubs in Somerset so if I list them briefly along with their contact numbers, you can pick the ones that are near you.
Weston Sports & Social Club, WestonSMare 01934 413174
Millenium Hall, Seavington St.Mary 01935 881510
Davis Hall, West Camel 01460 78895
St.George's Community Hall, Nr.WestonSMare 01934 814405
Farrington Gurney Memorial Hall, 01761 415931
West Buckland V.Hall, Wellington 01823 680769
Moorland Village Hall, Nr.Bridgewater 01278 691318
Hatch Beauchamp Village Hall, NrTaunton 01460 55547
Whitelackington Village Hall, NrIlminster (no number)
Ritz Social Club, Burnham on Sea, 01278 794434/451187
ROF Social Club, Puriton, 01984 629257 (I think I met these people a few years back. They are SO friendly.)
Keinton Mandeville V. Hall, 01308 456621
Tavern, Brean Leisure Park, 01278 751595
Royal British Legion, Taunton 01823 272412
Broadway V.Hall, Nr Ilminster 01460 65260
Chard Football Club, 01460 65260
Phew!
If you want any more details, let me know (or if I've made a mistake somewhere!)
I'm off to see Spur this Friday at H.T.St Austell. I'm so excited! I just love it all.
So, take the bull by the horns and give your nearest Club a try.
As Willie Nelson said, "Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results." Tis true.
You will find friendship and enjoyment in a Country music environment. Have fun.
Catch ya l8er.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2008 09:28:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2008 09:30:01 BDT
hypergod says:
Misfit,
Hey, coincidence or what? Or maybe there are more of us than I think (as you'll know, feeling isolated is a common symptom). Anyway, enough about THAT!
Thank you so much for your hard work in finding out the details and typing out all those clubs, it was very thoughtful of you. Do you know of any in (or near) Minehead? See, the problem is my wife HATES Country, and she's the one who drives, plus we have an eleven year old son, so both being out at once isn't really an option, so if I do get up the motivation to actually DO something and go to a club, it would have to be pretty close. Please don't worry about it if it's a hassle in any way, I just wondered.
Received three new (to me) CDs through Amazon yesterday: Collin Raye; Neal McCoy; Doug Stone. Not impressed by Collin, McCoy's is quite good but I really like the Doug Stone CD 'From The Heart'. Your thoughts? (if any [I mean about these, or other, CDs. I didn't mean to imply that you might not have any thoughts at all!] ).
I'll stop rambling now (the nation celebrates!) and let you get on with your life.
Adios.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2008 23:35:24 BDT
MustflyMo says:
Hi Hypergod,
Thank god, Country fans!! been a fan since forever. I hope CMT will come back, as we have to dig out the Music,
Miss it loads, it introduced us to to the new wave. Some great talent. I now live in Cheltenham but come from London.
Not to many clubs here. I have tried a couple but found the Music a little dated. Also the shops are pretty full of
J Cash, I was never a fan, went in more for George Jones. So Amazon is pretty cool and up to date with the latest.
I see Kenny Chesney has a new one out in October, Looking forward to that.
The last concert I went to was Dwight Yoakam in Hammersmith great night,
Hope to hear from any fans.
Bye for now M

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2008 01:09:10 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Hey, hi, Hy!
What's this "if" you get up the motivation? You mean "when"! If you really want to do it then remember Willie Nelson - "Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results"
You've set me a challenge this time, buddy. All I have found so far is Butlin's. There is a Country Weekend, 6-9th March'09. I'll keep searching for others though. I will not be beaten! Of course it's no hassle. The most precious gift we can give is time and if it will help you get better then my life will have been worthwhile.
What music does your wife like? Just a thought, too, you could take your son to a Country music night. You don't necessarily have to stay 'til the very end.
I've just bought another George Jones CD. I love him to bits. I haven't heard Doug Stone, I don't think. Maybe I should try him. Yeh, Collin Raye = iffy. Neal McCoy = 50/50.
Oooh! Dwight Yoakam. He's the one who makes me melt!
Take care, my friends in Country.
Til next time.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2008 14:09:59 BDT
hypergod says:
Hey, Maureen,
Welcome to 'the gang'. Kenny Chesney I'm not so keen on, but do you have 'When the Sun Goes Down' by him? The reason I ask is that I do, having bought it on spec from Amazon, and if you don't have it I'd be happy to give it to you. The last track goes 'funny', at least it does on my player, but what the hell, it's free! Like I say, I wasn't impressed, but each to their own, so if you'd like it you're more than welcome. Just let me know and I'll post it to you (though how I get your address without you telling the rest of the world I'm not sure. Perhaps I could give you my e-mail address).

Misfit, my friend,
Of course, you're right, 'when' not 'if'! Thank you for the info. Butlin's would be great if they'd let one in daily, but I bet it's an 'inclusive with accommodation' deal, which is fine if you're coming from elsewhere but ridiculous if you live 'up the road'. Plus, I bet it's not cheap, and being a 'social security scrounger' I doubt I could afford it. I wonder what it will be like, though. Will you consider going? Re my wife, don't ask! (whispers "Coldplay!"). The only George Jones I have is 'Lonely Street' which is 25 of his early tracks (The Race Is On; Swingin' Doors; Blue Side Of Lonesome; A Girl I Used To Know etc) It's fairly primitive sound-quality-wise but I don't know if that's because the tracks are so old or because it's a cheap pressing.
Anyway, I'm outta here.
See Y'all

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2008 22:01:51 BDT
MustflyMo says:
Hi There,
Yes I do have the K C CD, I agree not one of his best. But when he gets the right songs he is pretty cool.
Love Mark Chestnutt, Rollin with the flow is a great CD, also love Clay Walker and Tracy Byrd Tracy Lawrence.
They are not names that hit the awards each year, But they are fantastic singers.
I have quite a good selection of CD's (all country of course) Thanks for the offer of the CD though really kind of
you. I do lots of mixed Cd's for my Brother and friends, so if there is any you want. If I have it I will copy it for you.
Not to fond of female singers though.
Nice to talk to a fan.
Kind Regards
Maureen
PS Have you got Alan Jackson's Good Time?? I have it if you want a copy.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2008 18:04:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Oct 2008 20:56:37 BDT
hypergod says:
Hey, Maureen,
Sounds like we have more in common than not seeing eye to eye over Kenny suggests, as I also have several CDs each by Mark, Clay and Tracy Byrd. Only one by Mr Lawrence so far, but I have 'Time Marches On' and 'Alibis' on standby on my Wish List at the moment (not 100% sure about 'Alibis', though) and am expecting 'Longnecks and Short Stories' by Mr Chesnutt in the post any day now! I'm currently playing to death a Doug Stone CD I only just got, called 'From The Heart'. I hadn't heard of him, but since I got it I've ordered another of his and added three more to the ol' Wish List!
Thanks for the offer of copies but I'm one of those 'anoraks' who has to have the liner notes and artwork etc. Never really got over the death of vinyl! Thank you very much though, it's like Misfit says, "Country Music people are the nicest people around". Don't make offers like that too loud though, or the Musicbiz will be taking you to court!
Adios, and thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 01:27:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2008 01:51:13 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Howdy, Hyp,
Yes, I would consider going to Butlin's. The holiday park at Brean Sands allows day visitors to bands so I guess the Minehead one would too. I will try to find out.
It's unfortunate about the George Jones CD you have. It's probably a combination of both original recordings and cheap production.
If you like George's style and sound, I would recommend ...um....well ..to start with..."Loving You Can Never Be Better" or "I Lived To Tell It All", George Jones, and "Kickin' Out The Footlights...Again -Jones Sings Haggard, Haggard Sings Jones", by George & Merle obviously. There are so many and I love nearly all of them but I've been playing these a lot lately.
In passing, I had an absolutely brilliant time at Heavy Transport last night. Spur are fantastic! - Two young guys totally dedicated to Country music.(They are from Taunton). There are many top quality, professional, British Country artistes out there who deserve recognition. It's a shame the recording companies ignore them just because they are "only" British.
I'm relieved that you feel as I do about copying CDs. (Sorry, Maureen). It is stealing from the artistes and quite honestly you can find most of what you want on Amazon for a very reasonable price anyway.
Hey, Maureen, I bet I can top your number of Country CDs! How many have you got? At last count I had 1023! (plus about 6 non-Country!) Am I a Country fan or what? Also, do you like Emmylou Harris? I think she is "magic".
Take care, my friends in Country,
Catch ya l8er.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 12:48:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2008 15:01:32 BDT
hypergod says:
Hey there, Misfit,
You big show off! Mind you, 1023 CDs IS pretty impressive. Speaking of CDs, the Doug Stone CD 'From The Heart' that I told you about and that I'm still playing on an 'a few times a day' basis is available on Amazon from 'piece-of-mind books' for the grand sum of 0.01 (plus 1.24 p&p of course). It's described as 'Used-Like New' and they're not kidding, mine was perfect. Don't buy from 'Prairie-City-Books-US' though. I bought nine CDs from them (all ordered before the first one arrived), all described as 'good' and SEVEN of them were wrong'uns. The CDs themselves were fine, but the cases were cracked; fell in half because the hinges were broken; one had NO artwork/inserts at all; the 'restraints' (things that hold the CD in place, I've never known what they're called) were broken, etc. After a lot of transatlantic argy-bargy I finally got a full refund by threatening them with a legal claim through Amazon, after which they suddenly changed their tune (I can't think why!). The trouble is they have loads of CDs that I want, at great prices, but how can I risk buying from someone with a near 80% failure rate. Have you ever got anything from them?
Glad you had such a good time at Heavy Transport. I'll have to look out for Spur. Taunton's only twenty-five miles from us so you'd think they'd play quite a bit around here.
Re Emmylou, are you asking Maureen or me? I love her stuff with Gram Parsons. 'Love Hurts' is one of my favourite songs (though not Jim Capaldi's execrable 'hit' version!) written, of course, by the wonderful Boudleaux Bryant who, alone and with his brother Felice (?) wrote some fabulous stuff. Her solo CDs I'm not so well acquainted with and, to be honest, I'm not overly impressed by what I've heard. Though her voice is lovely, the type of material she chooses doesn't 'do it' for me. She contributes great backing vocals to Lucinda Williams' 'Greenville' off of 'Car Wheels On A Gravel Road', though.
Blimey, this is turning into an epic. Perhaps you should've made base camp at the end of the first paragraph and tackled the rest tomorrow (if you haven't given up already)! Nil Desperandum though, we're almost there.
If you get the Doug Stone CD, I really hope you like it but PLEASE DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU DON'T! If you go to Amazon.com (the US site) you can listen to 30 second excerpts of the tracks from some of his greatest hits CDs, some of which are on 'From The Heart', which will at least show you what he sounds like. I LOVE his voice! I've just gone to the US site and listened to some of the Doug CDs there and I have to say that, like many others, his later stuff seems less Country and not so good, but the earlier CDs, say first half of the nineties, are great.
Anyway, as promised.......THE END!
Vaya con dios (I think!).

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 14:10:07 BDT
MustflyMo says:
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the reply, its great to hear different views on the music. There is such a vast choice if only it was put
out there a bit more. I do not know how many CD;s I have but I dont think I have any where near 1000.
I see you are waiting for a Mark C CD. If you can get hold of Rollin with the Flow, it is well worth having.
Now and then you get a gem. I will check out the Doug Stone, Sorry about the offer of copy Cds. I do buy all my
Cds and did not mean any offence to any one. But enough said on that subject. Any George Strait fans out there.
Sorry Misfit, but I do not like Emmylou, I am quite Limited on female singers. I have some of Tanya Tucker,
Martina Mcbride, Trish Yearwood, a few others, but I guess being female I prefer male voices.
But we cant all like the same thing life would be dull. Lets hope CMT does come back Must find web site a do my bit.
Bye for now.
Maureen

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 14:47:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2008 14:48:55 BDT
hypergod says:
Hey, Maureen (does anyone call you 'Mo', or do you hate that?),
Don't worry about the CD copying thing, you're with friends here, so no need to apologise at all. I thought it was very kind of you and I appreciated the offer.
Re bringing back CMT, if you scroll back to the earlier posts above you'll find the internet address for the petition in one of my previous ramblings (seventh post from the top). Get all your friends and neighbours to 'sign' it too!
In the post above your last you'll find some info about the Doug Stone CD, in particular the great price. Hope you like it.
Adios

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 17:20:22 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Howdy, Guys (& Gals),
Wow!...it looks like we haven't got anything else to do today, doesn't it?......Well...nothing better, eh?
Yep, the Emmy question was for anyone really and YES...I love George Strait.
I haven't experienced 'Prairie-City-Books-US' luckily. They sound awful. Thank you for the warning. Very much appreciated.
Hyper, I'm afraid your comment "things that hold the CD in place" made me chuckle. It sounds like the way us girls describe something to do with a car engine. (My sister once called the distributor cap "that thing that looks like a cow's udder."!) No, I don't know what it's called either. In the shop, they call it "the tray".
I'm not totally keen on Emmy's newer stuff either, but then I think the best Country music is the Traditional (/old) and that which emerged in the 90s (/new). Since then, most of it is questionable.
Hey, we've got a good discussion going here, haven't we? I haven't seen a better one yet. Have you?
Take care.
Me.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 19:17:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2009 09:44:20 GMT
hypergod says:
Misfit,
Yikes! All this time (and thinking about it I don't know why, except maybe good old fashioned sexism!) I've been assuming that you were a cowBOY! Funny how we make assumptions or jump to conclusions. I've been wondering what 'Mor' stood for, now I've no idea. What is it?
I didn't mean the whole 'tray', I just meant the round bit that sticks through the hole in the middle of the CD. Love your sister's description of the distributor cap (like I know anything about cars! You put your foot down and it goes. If it doesn't, you shout "HELP!").
The thing about Prairie etc is I looked at their feedback (after the debacle) and, though quite a few say things took a long time to come and a few are like me, most of it was positive, but I find it hard to believe that I was just unlucky SEVEN times out of NINE! Like I said, it's so annoying when I see all these really cheap prices and when I go to it, it's PCB. They've got Doug Stone's first for 0.01! Let me know what you think of him, won't you, good OR bad.
Right, I'll stop NOW, before this turns into another 'War And Peace'!
Adios
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the country music discussion forum (44 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  31
Total posts:  555
Initial post:  5 Sep 2008
Latest post:  23 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions