Customer Discussions > country music discussion forum

How come this is the first post? Where are all the Country fans?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 526-550 of 555 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2009 09:46:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jan 2009 07:19:40 GMT
hypergod says:
So, this is how the thread will end? Not with a bang but with a wimp?!?!?!
Adios
xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2009 10:46:33 GMT
Sera69 says:
Hmm... Seems like there's a Country classic in these posts...

Razors at the ready:

Oh m'darlings,
Why did ya leave me,
When i waaaaaaaaas *twang* so,
Misunderstood...

(Sorry HG couldn't resist it! LoL!)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2009 23:05:19 GMT
hypergod says:
If there's a Country classic in these posts, THAT sure as hell wasn't it, Sera!!!
Where have you been lately, anyway, the ol' threads ain't the same without you (and that could be another Country classic but please do me a favour and don't attempt to write it!).

Posted on 17 Feb 2009 15:57:21 GMT
D. Gaffney says:
Hey guys n gals. I'm totally into Country Music again. I'm originally from England and went to the states on holiday as a kid - loved the music and now i'm absolutely crazy for Gretchen Wilson in general!! Love her kick ass country songs!! and Taylor Swift, especially Love Story. Just seems to me that country music is so much more uplifting and feel good than the rubbish we get in the UK. I was on holiday recently and went to see a country tribute show called Nashville Nights and Dixie Days, it was such a brilliant night!! The whole theatre was out of their seats stomping their feet and singing along. What a fantastic night!! :D

Posted on 18 Feb 2009 00:23:50 GMT
i have to say that im a fan of most country music and i obviously love the stuff by brad paisley, kenny chesney, underwood and clay walker but i think the most underrated country artist has to be aaron watson. With the possible exception of his last album everyone of them are amazing. Check out texas cafe (not on amazon) and shut up and dance.

Posted on 18 Feb 2009 02:24:20 GMT
Misfit Mor says:
Hey,
Does anyone know of an up beat, dancey version of "Home On The Range"?
Somewhere around 110-130 bpm.
I'll keep m' fingers xd.

Posted on 18 Feb 2009 06:44:30 GMT
S. R. Tulip says:
Don't really do country music but I love Lee Ann Womack - More where that came from. Can't get away with any of her other albums though. Where do I go next ?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2009 09:51:40 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Feb 2009 13:12:04 GMT]

Posted on 15 Mar 2009 20:06:10 GMT
The trouble with 'Country' music now is that it isn't! The music that they CALL Country is really Country Rock and as such it's neither Country OR Rock but the worst of both.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2009 13:42:39 GMT
hypergod says:
I know what you're saying JD, but I don't think it's entirely true. Is 'Call Me Crazy' by Lee Ann Womack not Country? Or Alan Jackson's stuff? Or George Strait? Mark Chesnutt? Please let me know what you consider to be (and not to be) Country Music, I'd be interested to hear.

Posted on 22 Jun 2010 09:45:37 BDT
IrishCol says:
Have just been looking to see if there is any way to access CMT online and I came across the online petition which is great and I've added my voice to it1 Am so disappointed that there is no CMT tv being shown in the UK, I used to love that channel and had it on 24/7. What is even more disappointing that I cannot access any of the content/videos on the CMT website as I keep getting a message that it is only available to users in the states ... come on, the internet is meant to be worldwide and yet here in Northern Ireland I cannot access it!! Would really love to see this channel being broadcast in the UK/Europe again and also access to the content on their website but be really appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 22:46:27 BDT
Dave Peters says:
Stop worrying about classifying musical genres. Steve Winwood says there's only two sorts of music, good and bad. And Billy Joel, 'its all rock 'n roll to me'. You either like it or you don't. But any true musician will understand cross-genre is good. Get Vince Gill's These Days 4CD set for starters to appreciate this.

Posted on 5 Sep 2010 20:04:56 BDT
Melissa says:
Ooooooh so happy that there are other people who like country music, although like lots of things I only like the older stuff generally.
I love lots of music - rock, pop, folk, jazz, blues, rockabilly, crooners, British Invasion, classical.. but am always a bit embarrassed to admit to liking country music (being 21) as it's like there are not many people who like it but anyway I love the lyrical storytelling in it in particular. I love people such as Hank Williams and George Jones but any suggestions to decent modern country artists would be welcome.

Posted on 6 Sep 2010 23:46:16 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Hi, Melissa,
Some of my favourites are ... Alan Jackson, Ricky Skaggs, Patty Loveless, Emmylou Harris, Billy Yates, Steve Earle, Rick Tippe and Brad Paisley. I love so many. You might also like to check out people such as Brooks & Dunn and the Bellamy Brothers.
There is a thriving British Country Music circuit too. Keep a look out for social events around your area. Look out for names such as Spur, Blood Brothers, Tim McKay and Kay D. They are around your age and highly popular all over the country.
Never be embarrassed about liking Country music. It won't take long to realise just how popular it is in the UK, and how lovely all the Country music lovers are. It's like having a huge extended family.
All the best, welcome on board and maybe one day we'll be at the same social event.

Posted on 10 Sep 2010 09:49:55 BDT
Gingecat says:
I go to Cosmic American gigs in Nottingham where I've seen some brilliant acts. However Country seems to be about the one genre that British musicians couldn't play well if their lives depended on it. Consequently I wouldn't be seen dead at any club featuring British acts. Besides all those check shirts and stetson hats - it's so corny.

Posted on 11 Sep 2010 09:59:42 BDT
My goodness I didn't realise there were so many country music fans out there in the UK. I think it's about time we had our own country music radio station

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2010 01:34:04 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Gingecat, I'm wondering just how much experience of British Country music artistes you have had. I agree that some of them are not worth going to see a second time, but there are many American ones like that too.
It's a shame you felt you had to post such a negative comment. The dressing up is part of the fun, although it doesn't seem to be as popular these days.
It's a little unfair to mock other people's choice of dress, especially when they wouldn't dream of mocking yours.
Why not try giving British artistes another chance? There are some very good ones out there.
Best wishes.

Posted on 12 Sep 2010 12:15:32 BDT
Gingecat says:
Mor: Enough experience not to want any more.

These people are a bit old for playing cowboys and it's one of the things that has made Country music a bit of a joke in UK.

As I have only a limited amount of money to spend on going to gigs, I'm going to make sure it goes towards seeing The Duke and The King, The Hot Club of Cowtown or Justin Townes Earle rather than a bunch of clowns in plastic cowboy trousers yeehaahing in midlands accents.

Just my opinion.

Posted on 13 Sep 2010 00:18:54 BDT
Misfit Mor says:
Hmm. If that's what they're like up there, I don't blame you.
I must admit, I haven't been favourably impressed with several of the acts that have come to Cornwall from up that way. Some of them are only singing karaoke style and using their guitars as props. Any of us could do that, eh?
However, there really are some very good singers and musicians on the British circuit and, more often than not, their gigs are cheaper to go to. They are here anyway, but American visitors won't come down to us, so we never get to see them. - I would LOVE to see Justin Townes Earle.-
There are a lot of brilliant younger artistes (late teens/20s) around now too. They're not all old.
Anyway, Gingecat, keep on enjoying your music but please don't condemn all because of the few.
All the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2010 10:01:05 BDT
When they took CMT off the air I actually wrote to them. Their reply was it was being broadcast in Australasia and could not be shown here as well. I have been in Nashville a few times and CMT is not the same as it was when aired here. Too much quiz programmes and other non musical items instead of music. GAC (Great American Country) is a far better channel.
I'm a scottish country fan.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2010 21:00:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2010 21:09:09 BDT
Melissa says:
Hi and thanks, that's really a lovely welcome! I will check as many of those out as I can too.
I never realised, to be honest, how many 1. British country fans there were and 2. British country artists there were playing!
I love lots of musical genres like rock as I said but the thing I dislike about it is the fans and their general ignorance towards anyone who has a varying opinion to them; they can be so rude and dismissive. So it is quite nice to discover country fans have a generally
friendlier attitude.
Oh and I love the cowboy / checked shirts stuff, it's only fun, just chill out! I'd rather that than it be too precious like you're at the opera.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2010 19:08:47 GMT
R. Tims says:
Well said Mr A Plumley,get a bit tired of normal radio staions playing the same song a couple of times a day and through the week.There are some brilliant country related singers and bands out there that we never get to hear unless we go to Amazon USA or maybe hear on You Tube.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2011 17:54:40 GMT
Tansycat says:
I so agree with you. I have contacted CMT and asked why they cant let me watch video's online but I got no reply. I used to be able to watch the GAC videos but they have been stopped now too. Its as if American Country Music doesn't want fans from this side of the atlantic. Youtube is the only place you can see videos. My favourites are Alan Jackson and Randy Travis, I'm not so keen on the newer stuff though I like Jamey Johnston and Zac Brown Band. I would really love if Sky would bring back some sort of Country Music channel. Lets all keep on asking them.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2011 16:51:35 GMT
G. Smith says:
Hi Hypergod,

How come the last posting was in 2009? It's now February 2011, is anyone out there? I am a music fan and like all genres, but I have over 3500 cds and still buying. My name is Graham SMITH

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2011 06:28:12 GMT
G. Dunton says:
In the words of Kris Kristofferson,"If it sounds Country,that's what it is."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the country music discussion forum (44 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  31
Total posts:  555
Initial post:  5 Sep 2008
Latest post:  23 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions