Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

What are your Pantry "Musts"??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 168 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Dec 2012 16:08:38 GMT
We all have things that are vital to the way we cook. Things that make us nervous when we start to run low. (Well at least, all of us here. I can't speak for the rest of the world.) For me, there's coconut milk and coconut cream; fresh ginger; rice; fresh garlic. And fenugreek (methi) seed. And MDH curry blends.

What about you?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 17:11:19 GMT
pixie says:
All the above Ori...obviously chilli!....Pasta,chorizo,rapseed oil, spay oil,tinned pulses and dried beans...

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 18:53:14 GMT
Charlie says:
Ooo, good idea Ori, like having a virtual snoop in each others cupboards!! As above for sure, lots of tinned toms, groundnut oil, condensed milk, chilli flakes, frozen garlic at this time of year as finding some of the 'fresh' stuff not so fresh, my spices cumin coriander etc... Honey, eggs! We get through dozens of the things. Puy lentils as can struggle to get them and hate running out!

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 18:55:19 GMT
Charlie says:
Oh and anchovies!! Can't not have them in mmmm

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 19:44:16 GMT
pixie says:
Lol! Stop! It's all true Charlie Toms etc.....xxx

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 20:19:49 GMT
Oh yes, I forgot about tinned toms and passata!
That's odd about the garlic as the garlic harvest is in late July, December shouldn't see low supplies!

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 20:59:29 GMT
Charlie says:
I grow my own Ori, its lovely in summer, running low by autumn and by now it's shop bought which is great if I make a nice green grocer but supermarket stuff tends to be a bit rough I find? Maybe just me?

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 21:30:29 GMT
Stu says:
now now so when you awake in the morning and find your supplies gone which stewpot do you blame. ahah

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 07:48:04 GMT
Herbs, I grow my own and dry them in the summer, so there is fresh and sundried Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley,Bay, Lemon Balm, Mint, of various descriptions,my son in law grows garlic , so I get his.... in the pantry, bought .is ginger spice, french herbs de provence,seasalt, french mustard,brown rice,and olive oil.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 08:58:36 GMT
Bearman says:
Good question, but my list might be a little long so I will try to keep it short.

Onions, garlic, tinned toms, pasata, tom puree, maldon salt, black pepper corns, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, stock (homemade in freezer and Knorr stock pots in cupboard), chilli flakes, fresh chillies, tobasco, caribbean or central american pepper sauces, chilli/garlic/ginger sauce (cant remember name but its sweet and comes in big bottle with yellow label and lid), soy sauce, fresh ginger, lemon grass, rice, rice, rice and RICE (arbborio, basmati and long grain easy cook), dry spaghetti (all other pastas I prefer fresh), tinned tuna, tinned sardines, tinned anchovies, tinned sweetcorn, strong white plain flour, self raising flour, wholemeal flour, rice flour, chickpea flour, cornflour, WINE!!!!!, brandy, sherry, fresh and preserved lemons, real butter, mature cheddar, parmegianno reggiano, eggs and approximately 50 different jars in the spice rack.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 09:00:14 GMT
Bear, please DO remember the name of the chili/garlic/ginger sauce!! Sounds lush!!
Wine, of course, wine...and broth in those Tetrapacks in case I come down with an urgent need for soup.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 09:25:02 GMT
pixie says:
Lingham's Ginger Garlic Chilli Sauce 280 ml (Pack of 8) Ori i think Bearman means this one...?

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 09:57:27 GMT
M Inx says:
My cupboard could be Bear's... just add jars of roasted peppers in oil and of course the Seasoned Pioneers gujarati masala, cardamom masala, tandoori masala, sambhar powder, goan xacuti curry powder and caribbean curry powder....

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 09:59:02 GMT
pixie says:
That all sounds right up my alley M Inx! A world food store!

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 10:14:40 GMT
M Inx says:
Hi Pix, on hols this week that's why I'm around more... Yes, each of those wee pouches have the combination for most recipes without hoarding multiple jars of spices and they stay fresh for ever x

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 10:20:48 GMT
Bearman says:
That's the one - well done Pixie! It is sweet, so can be used as a dipping sauce, but it is not too hot and the flavour is excellent. I add it to far too many dishes.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 11:03:10 GMT
happy says:
Sounds like my store cupboard as well. Though I tend not to have ready mixed spices etc. Mainly because until very recently I had to buy them online which wasn't a lot of help when I needed inspiration. I cleaned my store cupboard out the other day. Couldn't get any more in it. Once I'd thrown out the ends it was amazing how much space I had.

I always seem to have a lot of packs of things that I've tried only for them to get the thumbs down from Hubby.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 13:47:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Dec 2012 17:47:00 GMT
wobberoo says:
My pan tree essential is somewhere to hang the Bin lids.

That, and a suzysunshine mark 7 Kitchen Assistant - every home should have one!

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 14:20:23 GMT
I finally created my own spice box (aka masala dabba) after being given one that was tiny. I had bought a large metal box for another purpose that never happened, so I went to the "everything at one Euro" shop (a misnomer if ever there was one). They had little plastic containers with tight lids, some square, some rectangular, different sizes. I bought a dozen of each and labelled them with Dymo labels. The tight lids stop spillage and keep the flavours in. And it's all in one place, no having to climb the stepladder to search for a tiny glass jar among the dozens of others, and have something fall and break leaving spices and glass bits all over.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 01:30:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2012 01:31:09 GMT
Let's see? - hmmm, I have.....Dream Topping, Birds Instant Trifle, Spam, Ambrosia Custard in a can, Alphabetti-Spaghetti, Smash Instant Mashed Potato, Banana Nesquick and a Chicken Pot Noodle?

HA HA HA!!! - only kidding!!! - LOL!!!.....I do have four tins of Alphabetti-Spaghetti though?! It was my Dad's idea of a shopping list substitute for Cous-cous?!?!?! - Ohhh yeah right? - because that'll really go well with the Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables that I had already started off cooking!.....thanks Dad?!! ;o>

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 07:03:45 GMT
pixie says:
Pa has a refined Palate...you just don't know it Suzy!Lol!

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 07:17:58 GMT
Charlie says:
Haha Suzy, dad is definately a man of good taste! Lol bless him xx

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 08:52:07 GMT
Bearman says:
I have a dirty little secret - I like Nesquick - don't look at me - I'm ashamed

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 09:20:02 GMT
I really love Banana, Chocolate and Strawberry flavoured Milk, Bearman.....x
And I am not ashamed to admit that I'll do just about anything for a Coke Float! ;o>

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 10:10:36 GMT
Ethereal says:
Dried porcini mushrooms, great for flavouring lots of things even the humble macaroni cheese!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (690 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
New books! 7061 3 hours ago
I want to pass on a tip... 1023 4 hours ago
The All New What's For Dinner Thread!! 138 6 hours ago
gossip and general chat about all things 1214 1 day ago
Food Related Jokes 67 3 days ago
For those of us that would like to lose some weight 2255 3 days ago
Kefir, anyone? 131 4 days ago
Belling or Stoves 900 Dual Fuel Range Cooker? Help! 127 5 days ago
which breadmaker? 120 7 days ago
Food related TV programmes 1689 7 days ago
The Fish Thread 190 13 days ago
Chasseur vs Le Creuset 60 14 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  18 Dec 2012
Latest post:  11 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions