Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Which steam cleaner for oven

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 101 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jun 2013 12:17:04 BDT
Agricola says:
I have an oven which is such a nightmare to clean.

Want to buy a steam cleaner to tackle this. If I have to pay more than for the popular models, I will do, but I want one that is effective.

Looked at the user reviews on Amazon, and I am alarmed how many purchasers have found them poor at performing their designated function.

Can anyone advise me of a suitable device?

Maybe just have to construct my own!

Posted on 14 Jun 2013 12:44:44 BDT
Be careful, I have a new oven and the instructions specifically say NOT to use a steam-cleaner on it. Check your brand online or talk to them direct. I do have a steam shark and as you say, the performance is less than I expected, even on window frames etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 12:51:18 BDT
Agricola says:
Last time I cleaned the oven, I worked out that had I been paid for my time, at minimum wage rate, It would have been a better deal to simply junk the oven and replace it!

Posted on 14 Jun 2013 14:47:30 BDT
As the oven cleaning slave in the house, I have always insisted on buying ovens with Catalytic Liners, including the floor whenever possible. These self clean while cooking, and then one only has to clean the door, and shelves and lamp cover.

The most recent oven we bought (built-in, new kitchen) was specified with the catalytic liners, but when it arrived was actually a "Pyrolytic" which is quite frankly worse than useless. The suppliers had "upgraded" it. I said a few choice words, but SWMBO said 'It must be better if it is an upgrade' and we kept it. So I said then she can clean it.

Guess who is cleaning the new yukk Howdens oven? (choicer adjectives have been carefully removed to protect the delicate sensibilities of the rest of the forum)

:^(

Posted on 14 Jun 2013 15:58:13 BDT
pixie says:
My friend hates cleaning the cooker so her one indulgence once a year is to have "The man come and clean it" There are numerous companies that do it now...they have the gear to do a good job and I have to say her oven looks like new...she says it's a bargain!

Failing that, isn't the Kercher a good one...expensive but does a good job?

Posted on 14 Jun 2013 18:37:36 BDT
BY - (expletive deleted) I need one of those Pixie - I must go look
Sending my best also to R F Stevens for the consideration of sensitivity

Posted on 14 Jun 2013 22:25:58 BDT
I had a morphyrichards steam cleaner, they are next to useless for cleaning ovens. I cannot shout loudly enough to extol the vitues of OVEN PRIDE 2.99 a box for discount stores 4.99 from Tesco or Sainsbury. Put oven parts in bag, leave overnight, rinse off with garden hose,less messy out there, voila, CLEAN. You may need to get a greenie to really stubborn bits but that's all. Save a bit of cleaner to paint on the oven parts you cannot remove, leave overnight, wipe off. The best cleaner I ever used on my oven, no nasty fumes either. It takes a lot of elbow grease with the steam cleaner, you have to soften the burnt on stuff bit by bit, then while its still soft, scrub like hell to remove the carbon deposits, you need two pairs of hands and a lot of patience.xxxx

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 23:01:32 BDT
Agricola says:
Thank you pixie, I shall follow up both of those suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 23:10:15 BDT
Agricola says:
Yes, Cookingdiamond, Oven Pride cleaning in the bag, is the way I do my oven shelves: that part is fine. Nowt else come out so I have to reach into the oven and scour: most unsatisfactory. It is either find a solution or replace the oven.

Posted on 15 Jun 2013 00:42:39 BDT
Bearman says:
I give another vote for oven pride. Pour it into the bottom of the oven, over the oven door, pop the shelves in the bag with a bit more and then forget about it for a couple of hours. Its brilliant. I just keep my steam cleaner for steaming the furniture and carpets to kill the dust mites - highly recommended if you have an allergy sufferer in the house...........like our labrador!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2013 13:09:47 BDT
We don't have Oven Pride where I live, but I can recommend submerging racks, etc in a solution of non-biological washing powder and water for an hour or so. Wear gloves if you need to scrub them, though, that stuff is murder on human skin.

Posted on 15 Jun 2013 18:16:59 BDT
pixie says:
When I lived in Gib...the blokes used to take the oven rungs etc and put them in a big caustic tank in the Naval Ship yard...gleaming!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2013 18:28:36 BDT
Stands to reason don't it - Good Old Ship Yard workers - we called ours
Dock Yard's Men in Portsmouth - or they called themselves Dockies
Sterling Class of Guy

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2013 18:31:33 BDT
pixie says:
Yeah Patti! That's what I meant...Dockyard, Been a long day and I couldn't remember the name!xx

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2013 21:49:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2013 21:50:04 BDT
Once you get it clean paint the inside of the oven ( enamel or steel ) with a paste of bicarbonate of soda and water, it doesn,t look pretty but it sure makes an oven easier to clean, I learnt that trick when I was cooking professionally for a living. Now if you want a Karcher, look on their website for reconditioned models. The nice young man I spoke to assured me that they were seldom faulty to start with but had been returned with a scratch or parts missing, so much cheaper and still with a guarantee.win win.xxx. I do so like a nice young man lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 11:16:22 BDT
Agricola says:
Hadn't heard of that one before, Cookingdiamond. Thanks for the tip.

Posted on 17 Jun 2013 14:33:40 BDT
l says:
hi you can ring up people who can come out just to clean your oven quite cheaply

Posted on 20 Jun 2013 21:54:58 BDT
Charlie says:
Hi Aricola, I have a Vaporetto 2400 and it is amazing. I hardly use any cleaning products any more. I use it to do the kitchen floor, the windows, clean grout, carpets, remove any chocolate or greasy fingerprints (three under 5's here!), dried food from kids chairs. Numerous cleaning jobs tackled in a flash. Amazing on stainless steel as removes every smear. Unfortunately, even tho it's a powerful machine, it doesn't touch the oven. I agree with the rest of the mob on here. Get chemical on it, oven pride or similar. I personally buy the one lakeland stock?
Get a steam cleaner anyway though. They are truly fabulous!!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2013 09:43:46 BDT
Ken R says:
Cleaning an oven properly requires more than a steam cleaner! I have an ovencleaning business and I take over 2hours to clean an oven with all the best of kit so if you want to do it yourself be prepared to give up about half a day to do it - alternatively call Ovenclean On 0800 840 7127

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2013 09:57:14 BDT
pixie says:
Ken...Thanks! I'm sure that will be a helpful number to a few of us on here!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2013 22:49:34 BDT
Elle says:
Oven cleaning? I agree, must be the worst job ever. Next in line is defrosting freezers, which were purposely purchased for claims of "self defrost" or "no need to ever defrost". Saw me coming, that's for sure. Any tips from you lovely people?

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 08:19:01 BDT
Baking tray full of hot water, shut the door on it to loosen the ice. That's the only thing I've ever found that works.
Fortunately I do have a fridge that never needs defrosting. It's a Samsung fridge-freezer, the kind with a 4-drawer freezer on the bottom. I do clean it out but only in the sense of wiping it down, never has frost buildup.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 11:21:23 BDT
http://www.johnlewis.com/polti-vaporetto-go-steam-cleaner/p231822618#tabinfo-ratings

Fantastic steam cleaner. Does a great job on the oven without use of chemicals.

Tom

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 20:37:02 BDT
Elle says:
Thanks for the tip Orinoco, I'll certainly bear it in mind next time am confronted with what looks like an Alpine peak. "Don't put anything hot in the freezer" I always been told. so I took a pickaxe to it instead. Serves me right for always doing what I'm told! So glad I made myself some new friends, all be it virtual'

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2013 18:22:21 BDT
Grandma says:
I have been known to take a blow dryer to the ice to speed things up. And a judicious whack with a hammer now and then. But mostly the big container of boiling water.

As far as cleaning the oven, in the US we use chemical cleaners. My father firmly believed that cleaning ovens and mowing lawns was men's work, not womens. We were not allowed to clean the oven or mow the lawn and he made sure that my husband knew full well that HE was to take care of those things just as my father had done. Between that and self-cleaning ovens I was well into my fifties before I ever cleaned an oven. (Sadly, I know of no oven cleaning services here in the US.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (645 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
mmmm! what's for dinner 7771 6 hours ago
gossip and general chat about all things 214 11 hours ago
Our neighbours food delivery a few minutes ago 0 12 hours ago
Food related TV programmes 1625 14 hours ago
Garlic crushers 92 1 day ago
New books! 6593 1 day ago
Belling or Stoves 900 Dual Fuel Range Cooker? Help! 112 2 days ago
No knead bread.........???? 53 13 days ago
Chili question for Indian pickle lovers 80 15 days ago
Halogen Oven 199 15 days ago
aaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! 1324 16 days ago
recipes... 419 17 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  101
Initial post:  14 Jun 2013
Latest post:  12 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions