Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

M Inx....Advice please!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Oct 2013 20:57:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2013 20:58:17 GMT
pixie says:
Hi M Inx...watched Tom Kerridge tonight and he made soda bread....he used Strong bread flour. I have made lots of different versions of this lovely bread but have never used strong bread flour...can you tell me what you use? I love spelt and wholemeal plain...would never think to use strong....is it traditional? Hope you can help.xx

Posted on 3 Nov 2013 11:34:18 GMT
My daughter,s mother in law is Irish and makes soda bread every week. She uses wheaten flour that is made for this type of bread. I,m sure it,s not strong. I don,t know if we can get it here and have to use whole meal flour. I can,t see that strong plain flour would do any harm though. Wheaten is a very heavy bread, perhaps the higher gluten content makes it a bit lighter in texture, I,d certainly try it, if it is tom kerridge recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2013 12:27:27 GMT
pixie says:
Thanks Diamond...I have a new fav, it's Clodagh's "Health bread" slices really thin and is delicious!xxx

Posted on 3 Nov 2013 14:02:35 GMT
In the US I just used "all purpose flour" to make soda bread, not wheaten or particular "strong" and it came out fine. Used to add dry herbs sometimes for a change.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2013 16:31:16 GMT
M Inx says:
Hi Pix we have soda bread flour here, just add buttermilk knead lightly into a round pop in oven. Soda bread flour is essentially plain or wheaten flour with added bicarbonate of soda and salt. Hope that answers your query xx

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2013 17:26:41 GMT
pixie says:
Thanks M Inx...couldn't see the point of strong flour for soda beread...just another chefy thing to muddy the waters!xx

Posted on 3 Nov 2013 17:36:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Nov 2013 17:37:24 GMT
We didn't have "strong flour" for domestic baking when I was coming up in the States, either. They just sold plain old "all purpose" for everything and "Swansdown" for cakes. I think Swansdown was just self-raising flour. I used "all purpose" for everything, even pie crusts, and never had any complaints.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2013 18:29:32 GMT
Grandma says:
Swansdown is a more finely milled flour than all-purpose, then lightened up more with some added cornstarch. Also called "cake flour" and is usually bleached. Not self rising though. Until recently you really only saw self rising flour in the southern part of the US.

I use all purpose for most things but I also keep a long list of other stuff on hand now that I bake more as a hobby than just to keep the family fed -

pastry flour (white and wheat) - finer than all purpose, less gluten, no cornstarch
whole wheat bread flour
50 pounds worth of high gluten bread flour (I live not far from the King Arthur store so can get great buys on 50 pound sacks)
first clear flour
various ryes
multigrain flour
and some OO and malted flours I have dragged across the pond when family comes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (713 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  28 Oct 2013
Latest post:  9 Nov 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions