Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Which Mixer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Oct 2012 15:04:10 GMT
A says:
Want a proper mixer not a processor but having trouble deciding between the Kenwood Classic and the Charles Jacobs (a "brand" that appears to be the same as the "Andrew James"!). According to one recent reviewer, silver paint flakes off the Kenwood mixer attachments - but at least replacements are available from Kenwood. Who makes the ""Charles Jacobs" & "Andrew James" mixers? Where are they made? And are replacement parts available? Can anyone help?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 15:25:56 GMT
pixie says:
Hi A Douglas...firstly..look at the reviews on Amazon, then decide what look you would like...the kenwood is available at such good prices at the moment on the shopping channels..Idealworld doing very good deals. Decide what you want it to do, sausage making, blender..etc...make your pros and cons list. It is so important to take the time...I have a Kitchenaid in black...
KitchenAid Artisan KSM150BOB Stand Mixer Black it was a birthday/christmas and 3 year present! But I do love it..I have the sausage making attachment and it makes fab dough too.
There are so many out there but you want one to do a lot of jobs..dough etc...please tell us what you decide...you will get some more opinions on here that will help you make your mind up.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 16:12:16 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
I bought this several months back for 189.99
Grundig UM9140 Die Cast Machine
It does everything asked of it.
My next attachment for it will be a pasta maker.
KitchenAid KPRA Pasta Attachment for KitchenAid Mixer
The Kitchenaid attachment fits the Grundig.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 16:14:33 GMT
pixie says:
Woo Hoo beejay what a find!...hope you've had a good day?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 16:17:26 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
Recovering from golf followed by a "full day out" yesterday.
Also minded a one year old (child of daughters friend) for a few hours.
Blimey, it all flooded back - he was into everything.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 16:21:42 GMT
pixie says:
They are such "live wires" keep you on your feet! You deserve a G&T or drink of your choice...delightful to have 'em and great to pass 'em back...bless 'em!

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 18:05:46 GMT
A says:
It's information I want. Naturally I have already looked at all the reviews and none of them give the information I require.

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 18:27:42 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
I just googled Andrew James.
They have a website and full contact details.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 18:28:15 GMT
pixie says:
All I can suggest is go onto the appropriate sites and look at the specs...the price and the look and what you get for your dosh...me? I'm happy with my kitchenaid.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 18:33:23 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
You just had to get that in didn't you Madame!
Name dropper.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 18:52:38 GMT
pixie says:
Sorry...but If you got it ( or get given it as a present) flaunt it...that's what I say. Had mine quite a few years now and really happy with it!x

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 19:15:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2012 19:15:18 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
What do you use it for most of all pix?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 19:24:09 GMT
pixie says:
Bread beejay...it is great for all kinds of dough. I don't buy bread so it is a big asset in the kitchen...I have a sausage making attachment, can be fun when i can get the skins from the butcher. Makes good meringue too...what do you use your mixer for most?

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 19:46:09 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
I've not had it long but I've tried different doughs for bread, flat bread, cake.
My favourite effort was black pudding and pear pork pie - they were yummy.
I have a lot to learn about dough!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 19:48:16 GMT
pixie says:
Just chuck it in and turn it on...10 mins is good for the dough hook for most breads.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 19:57:43 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
I wonder if Paul Hollywood started out that way :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 20:32:44 GMT
pixie says:
Who knows! Lol! Bread in the begining was probably a happy accident!x

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 21:04:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2012 21:06:44 GMT
Hi A. Douglas-McCaig,
I think that the issue with Kenwood and the paint flaking off has been around for quite a while and the only real way of guaranteeing that it won't happen, is to buy a model that is unpainted. And that is a bit difficult to work out too sometimes, as models that are listed as 'chrome' and that you would assume to be plain metal are often the ones that turn out, in fact, to be coated in silver paint.

Perhaps, as you seem to have narrowed down your options to a couple of actual models, you could try Googling the actual model details and see how they are listed across other sites to make sure you get the right one for your needs?

I have also tried previously, but I can't discover who makes Charles Jacobs products either? But as BJT has said there is an Andrew James website that tells you all about them as a company and has listings for their products and some replacement products too. There are contact details available - so perhaps you could try emailing or phoning and then you could ask them directly exactly what parts would be available for the model you are looking at?

ANDREW JAMES UK LTD - TEL: 0844 335 8464
Sales Line - Open 7 days a week: 9am - 9pm
Technical Support - Please call Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Email ajukltd@yahoo.co.uk

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 21:20:12 GMT
A says:
Thanks - as Andrew James do at least have a company website (albeit a very poor one) and give rather more info than Kenwood, I've opted for their mixer. Still not happy about lack of adequate information. Andrew James have not been going very long and seem to have put their name on a whole raft of products from food mixers to kiddy cars!!!! Not exactly filling me with confidence.

Unfortunately couldn't find out anything from Kenwood on which models don't have painted attachments. Wish these companies would give better info and say more about where their products are made. Always worried about anything manufactured in China as toxic paints and other materials are still in common use there and companies commissioning products from China really do not have any real control. Just hope this mixer is ok.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 22:20:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2012 22:30:39 GMT
I did read reviews that suggested that the Kenwood Chef Titanium model is an unpainted model? But I'm not 100% sure? And it will undoubtably prove to be a lot dearer than you probably budgetted for?! It can be so difficult to make decisions particularly when such large sums of money are often involved.

I did find this review site of great interest? - though I don't know if it will help with your decision at all?
http://www.kitchenables.co.uk/food-mixer/andrew-james-food-mixer-1000-watt-5-2-litre-bowl-review/

On the right handside of the page, you will find that there is a current listing for their Top 5 Best Food Mixers and I thought that the reviews were very useful as they include ratings on customer satisfaction. They do also suggest that though they were very impressed with older Andrew James model that is the one that I'm presuming that you are looking at? - it is the newer model that you should seriously be considering instead - Andrew James Large 7 Litre Automatic Silver Food Stand Mixer - Powerful 1000 watt Motor -7 Automatic settings, Digital Control and LCD Display + 128 Page Food Mixer Cookbook

Good luck and very best wishes - and do please let us know how you get on......x

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 12:47:55 GMT
Bearman says:
Just wanted to say that I have been using my Kenwood Chef Major (the big version) since 1989, with 0 issues, tough it is looking a bit tired. My mum has been using her Kenwood Chef (used everyday to grind coffee) since some time in the mid 1970s, and that is still going strong. Hopefully they still make them as bullet proof as they used to be.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 12:58:20 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
My Stepmother had her first Kenwood (the chef) for twenty years, and the second has been going strong for five now.

I want a Kitchen Aid, myself, but that's purely because of the aesthetics. The Kenwood Chef does appear to be very robust and good value. I don't think we ever had trouble with the mixer attachments flaking.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 14:19:36 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
You've been watching too many TV cookery shows.
The KitchenAid seems to have a total monopoly - it's always in the background.
It's subliminal advertising!
When i debated the price with the salesman in a local stockist he replied "Ah, but they are so iconic".
:)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 14:51:46 GMT
Yeah, it seems to be on certain models that the problems frequently occur? - the bowls and attachments are apparently coated in a paint or foil-type finish that often just cracks and flakes off into your mixture, Isobel. You really would think that Kenwood would have been far more aware of this? - and hurried to have resolved it? - but no, the problem has been flagged up on various review sites for at least a couple of years now.

So, it is clearly still an issue with a few of the newer models. I love my 20 odd year old Kenwood, and I have worked it quite literally to pieces, so I keep looking at the new ones. Some are still just fantastic, but there are also some out there that are quite poor? - they seem to be consistently badly calibrated and very cheaply-made. And sadly, it is these corner-cutting ones that really let the Kenwood brand - the name and the reputation down.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 15:33:20 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
That's it, really - it's just soooo pretty! They are supposed to be pretty good machines, as well, but if I was purely going for longevity it'd be the Kenwood.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (628 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
aaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! 1312 5 hours ago
I want to pass on a tip... 818 9 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 6826 9 hours ago
food processor or kitchen aid??? 19 1 day ago
Food related TV programmes 1582 1 day ago
recipes... 245 3 days ago
Happy New Year all!! 2 4 days ago
For those of us that would like to lose some weight 2154 5 days ago
Two small burners and a grill 3 6 days ago
What is/was "milk food"?? 15 7 days ago
Actifry sweet potato fries 5 7 days ago
Tablet for Kitchen 2 7 days ago
ARRAY(0xf82b9e4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  28 Oct 2012
Latest post:  15 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions