Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Which Toastie Maker?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jan 2010 11:45:49 GMT
B. Duncan says:
Having bought two new toastie makers (one after the other) to replace an old but effective one we've had for years
they were completely useless as they don't get hot enough. Reviews suggest Kenwood SM606 but it seems rather large.

Posted on 21 Jan 2010 19:02:30 GMT
I don't use a toastie maker, just a frying pan. Works just as well and with more freedom to see how well it is doing and to move it around. Butter the outsides of the bread and press down with a fish slice or similar, then turn after a couple of minutes and do the same again. No solid/burnt outsides edges - lovely. I've just had a cheese and onion toastie done that way. It was yummy!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2010 19:53:45 GMT
I use my George Foreman Health Grill. Works a treat, and saves having to buy another gadget that takes up worktop / cupboard space. Clearly it won't seal the edges like a "proper" sandwich maker but the pressure of the lid seems to stop the filling oozing out.

Posted on 22 Jan 2010 22:20:17 GMT
comput1 says:
toastie pockets from the poundshop. Microwave the sandwich for approx 20 - 40 seconds first, then brown it in the toaster, perfect and lower fat as no butter or oil needed in toastie pocket!

Posted on 19 Feb 2010 18:48:26 GMT
yeah toastie pockets are fab!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2010 20:27:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2010 20:28:21 GMT
A. Ainslie says:
Don't get a toastie maker they squidge all the fillings out cutting them into small bits. Rather get a panini maker. Mines a Breville. Really easy to clean as they are solid plates, even oozed out cheese comes off easily. Still looks like new after a long time. Good luck. I have even binned my toaster and just use the Breville for everything. It does flatten the toast though but makes it nice n crispy.

Posted on 21 Feb 2010 12:24:52 GMT
Alan Kirkham says:
Get a Diablo. Simple to use, easy to clean, loads of filling and they don't leak.

Posted on 1 Mar 2010 09:11:47 GMT
Mark says:
I have bought quite a few over the years and they have all been hard to keep clean. A few weeks ago, I splashed out on a cuisinart deep-fill sandwich toaster. It is really solidly made and the trays pop out with a button and are easy to wash. They are also OK to put in the dishwasher. Expensive at £50 but it is solid, looks good and has a 5 year guarantee. We have soup & toasties at least once a week so it will be well used.

Posted on 1 Mar 2010 20:13:18 GMT
Get a breville panini press,flat plates,easy to clean,no mess.

Posted on 6 Mar 2010 23:03:24 GMT
I recommend toastabags, some shops have them for about £1 for 2, others charge £5 or more.
All are effective; make sandwich, pop into toaster on medium, eat the sandwich and pop the bag in the washing up for next time. Don't need a machine taking up room or needing washing up, bags are easy-peasy and effective. We like cheese and ham or cheese and onion or cheese and tomato
sandwiches made in them.

Posted on 7 Mar 2010 20:32:53 GMT
C. Simon says:
Go for the Breville panini press,heats up really quick and theres no mess.

Posted on 8 Mar 2010 12:12:09 GMT
Juliet says:
I use my Anthony Worral Thompson GI grill, it's the same as a George Forman but with removable plates so it cleans easier!. Ok so I don't think a cheese and baked bean toastie is going to work in it, but for ham and cheese its great, using bread or a panini. Nicely toasted and it doesn't squidge all the filling out

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2010 19:21:17 GMT
Get the new Cuisinart model - can take thicker sambos and plates come out for very easy cleaning. Lakeland sell this model.

Posted on 17 Mar 2010 10:31:07 GMT
R. Barnett says:
Why bother with yet another machine? I make an open sandwich on a toast rack - one piece of bread with cheese on, the other piece of bread on its own. Toast till cheese melts and the other piece is golden. Put the toasted piece soft side down on the bubbling cheese and turn the whole thing over to expose the untoasted side and toast till golden. Lovely hot bubbly cheese inside and golden toasted bread either side. My toast tray will make three toasties at a time this way. Writing this has made me dribble, so goodbye, I'm going to make some right now!!

Posted on 19 Mar 2010 18:06:54 GMT
Moulinex make an outstanding toasted sandwich / waffle maker (interchangable plates) which, unlike all previous models I've owned, seals the sandwiches properly with one deep pocket, does not leak and leave the machine in a filthy state, is powerful, robust and efficient. I had given up on sandwich makers until I saw my son's Moulinex in action. Not cheap (about £40) and fairly rare, but absolutely worth the money. I used to spend more time cleaning the machine than eating the snacks ... not any more, this toaster is a really great piece of kit. See this link:

http://www.moulinex.com/Products/_layouts/moulinex/productdetails.aspx?listID=6e7fc206-1898-4043-b549-94afe1be16e9

Posted on 19 Mar 2010 18:07:02 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Mar 2010 18:19:57 GMT]

Posted on 19 Mar 2010 18:07:19 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Mar 2010 18:19:33 GMT]

Posted on 19 Mar 2010 18:07:46 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Mar 2010 18:19:04 GMT]

Posted on 19 Mar 2010 18:08:33 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Mar 2010 18:18:32 GMT]

Posted on 20 Mar 2010 07:48:06 GMT
i use an iron and brown paper, great toasties

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2010 16:29:56 GMT
Hi
I have the kenwood sandwich and panini press which is excellent. Very quick to heat up and toasties are ready in 3 minutes. Best of all it is completely non-stick and you don't need butter, so more healthy too!

Posted on 22 Mar 2010 14:04:18 GMT
S. Savage says:
George Forman Grill is the best - I use this for toasties and they are fantastic - this is a 1 gadget does many thing as you can use for grilling chicken, steak, burgers, and even do roasted vegetables so would recommend you get this rather than waste your money on a single gadget

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2010 17:19:26 GMT
The Cuisinart overstuffed sandwich maker. excellent

Posted on 23 Mar 2010 21:47:37 GMT
H. McErlean says:
I agree with LJ Martin. I've tried several toastie makers/panini makers/forman grills, and by far the quickest (and easiest to clean up) is a dry frying pan. Bread buttered on the outside, leave the toastie in the pan until the first side is done then just turn over. Quick, incredibly easy, and the filling doesn't get squidged.

Posted on 24 Mar 2010 07:55:13 GMT
E. Hart says:
DEFINITELY get the Cuisinart overstuffed sandwich maker - cheaper ones are a false economy. It's all about the high quality components and the ease of washing up the plates - you won't be sorry!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (651 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  21 Jan 2010
Latest post:  24 Mar 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions