Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Strange breakfasts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Apr 2013 11:50:03 BDT
Bearman says:
Hi Everyone.

I have just returned from the USA (Wyoming), where I encountered a number of "unusual" breakfasts. At the top of the list was "Biscuits and gravy" which to anyone from the UK would appear odd as it contained neither biscuits nor gravy in a form that would be recognised back home. The biscuits are in effect large oven baked dumplings, which were split in half and had the gravy poured over them. The gravy was a spicy sausage meat (minced pork), which was fried, then covered in milk, reduced, and then thickened with a little flour. It looked worringly unpleasant, but was in fact quite enjoyable - Ori: was this somthing you used to eat in the USA?

So this got me thinking. I have eaten breakfasts of red hot noodles in Singapore, and Quesedillas and breakfast burittos in Costa Rica. Has anyone else had strange breakfasts in the USA or any other country?

Posted on 29 Apr 2013 12:13:20 BDT
Oh man..."oven baked dumplings!" Bear! I'm surprised at you. The US biscuit and the UK scone are kissin' cousins, only biscuits are mini-breadlets, NOT dumplings! I adore biscuits and gravy...it's comfort food. You can have Eggs Benedict if you'll give me plenty of B and G.

I can't eat a lot of wheat breads so breakfast is often a problem. In summer, cold boiled rice with fruit and cinnamon sugar (I use panela) and a bit of milk (often evaporated, creamy and nice with a quarter the calories of cream).
In winter, and I'm sure this qualifies as "strange"!: Microwaved potato (small) topped with hummus and/or miso. Usually both. Miso next to the potato, hummus on top of that.

Cold couscous topped with Greek yogurt, fruit, nuts and a drizzle of honey is a lush breakfast or even a company dessert if you put it out nicely on a serving dish. Yes I know couscous is wheat. Whine!

And as an exAmerican college student: cold pizza, or refried spag bol! Ultimate Saturday dorm breakfast!

Posted on 29 Apr 2013 12:24:26 BDT
pixie says:
I've made the buscuit and gravy thing...nice!

You know my passion...advocado on toast with sushi ginger, soy and wasabi!mmmmmm!!!

Posted on 29 Apr 2013 15:50:49 BDT
Bear, I just looked at a Soda Bread recipe and it's much like the biscuit recipes I grew up with. Would you call Soda Bread "a large baked dumpling"? If so, there's no help for you...LOL

Posted on 29 Apr 2013 21:25:56 BDT
I saw a Mexican friend once tuck into waffles and bacon with maple syrup and fried eggs topped off with green chillies from a jar. Made me feel quite ill considering I,d had a few "jars" myself the night before.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2013 10:53:08 BDT
Bearman says:
Ori - 2 things made it different to soda bread:

1 - the dough came out of a can (no comment)
2 - the cooked item had no crust or colouration, was light (unlike scones) and crumbly (like sponge)

OK I grant you that it had a certain "bready quality", but it was unlike any bread I have ever eaten.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2013 10:54:40 BDT
Bearman says:
Ooooi CD - I like the sound of that breakfast, well maybe without the chillis, but the rest sounds just like the sort of breakfast I'm not allowed to have.......mmmmmmmm.....drool.......

Posted on 30 Apr 2013 11:46:39 BDT
Then those weren't biscuits, Bear. Those were Pillsbury factory made garbage.
Look up "spoon bread" or "beaten biscuits."

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2013 12:02:13 BDT
Bearman says:
Thanks Ori - I'll use one of those recipes when I try to recreate it.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2013 17:57:55 BDT
Clem Feeney says:
Ori

Cold pizza isn't restricted to US students, I enjoyed it when I worked at my Uni Pizza place many years ago (I always went home with a large pizza topped with leftover toppings at the end of the night).
This added variety to my usual diet - my favourite student breakfast was half a pack of Choc Digestives and lots of tea.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (639 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  29 Apr 2013
Latest post:  30 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions