Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Fan assisted oven nightmare! PLEASE HELP!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 239 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 19:25:46 BDT
foopydoo says:
I make cakes for a local farm shop every week in my fan oven and never have a problem. Bake sponges at 160c for about 30 mins for a 7 or 8 inch round or a 1lb loaf tin - about 300-350g wet weight cake mix.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 19:47:10 BDT
Yup foopydo Thats just about spot on, must not do cakes for a bit getting fat, Oh a matter of interest do you use Stork?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2012 21:48:59 BDT
I have exactly the same problem. I have tried everything that everyone has suggested, but no luck. This only happens with cakes or buns, not with normal cooking, although I do cook at 150 at all times because the oven is very hot. If you have a double oven I suggest you use the other one as this is what I have done and now my cakes are now perfect. If not buy a new one!!! Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 09:21:06 BDT
Molly May says:
Hi there, I too have had fan ovens for ages, (I'm 60, so have had a few over the years,) and they were great. However, my last purchase of a Cannon cooker was a mistake. It is temperamental, and cooks unevenly. Cannon were not interested, and said that my floor must not be level!!!
So sometimes it really is the cooker, not the cook.
Some cookers are simply 'lemons', and if you get one, then you have to go to great lengths to use it successfully. I am stuck with this one, as it cost over 700, and I can't afford to replace it... such is life. My cooking is edible, just rather lopsided now.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 09:39:55 BDT
Sell it and buy another good secondhand one, you will never be happy with it.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2012 22:43:37 BDT
C. Robertson says:
Reduce your oven tempertature and do not warm your oven in advance of putting your cake in, should help. Don't give up!

Posted on 29 Sep 2012 10:20:00 BDT
ali baba says:
i have just brought a fan oven cooks my cakes brilliantly ,but cant get my chicken right or even more annoying my roast potatoes are so dry can anyone help me please

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 06:26:55 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Nov 2012 06:35:01 GMT]

Posted on 7 Mar 2013 11:51:29 GMT
My christmas cakes have been dry since using a fan heated oven in spite of regulating the heat as advised. Have given up. Any advice ?

Posted on 7 Mar 2013 12:56:17 GMT
Fortunately I am able to cook without the fan, but having said that I can offer you a suggestion. You can increase the baking time so as to cook the inside of your cake properly. Firstly cook as you were doing until the top looks about the right colour. As I find it is the upper element which causes the burning mainly, put a shield, I find a baking tray ideal, over the cake , on a higher shelf if you can, to prevent any more direct heat hitting the top of the cake.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2013 13:15:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2013 13:15:36 GMT
pixie says:
That sounds like good advice Steve...the same principle applies to the Aga so they give you a "Cool plate to insert on the rungs above...it keeps the heat down. I have cooked in a fan oven and that is the problem isn't it...no cooler spots in the oven.

Hope the next one turns out better for V.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2013 10:47:49 GMT
I,ve had three different makes of fan oven and never had a problem with any kind of cake, so it,s hard for me to help you. What I have learned is that cakes ,especially large ones need much less cooking time in a fan oven. I read I my manual that I should reduce temperatures by about 20 deg from the recipe, I do that for everything I cook. Always preheat for cakes whatever anyone else tells you, it,s the heat that starts the rising process. Try a different recipe for your rich fruit cakes,I use Mary Berry,s recipe where you soak the fruit for a couple of days beforehand, it is moist a d delicious. As a precaution, I always wrap the tin in a thick layer of newspaper to stop it browning too quickly or worse still burning. Good luck.xx

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2013 07:23:48 GMT
Hi David

I have found that cooking my cakes on 150/160C works best with my fan. It's better to cook more gently, they take longer but it generally works. For an 8 oz mix with 4 eggs in an 8/9" tin it takes between 60 and 90 mins.

It should nt then burn and always comes out well. A skewer rather than a tooth pick may be better that goes all the way down to the base. I also tend to use the finger test e.g. It should feel the same across the whole cake when cooked with no decernible wobble in the middle.
I haven t ever done a red velvet cake but I think it should work the same.

Hope that helps, give it a whirl.

Good luck

Hilary

Posted on 17 May 2013 19:49:08 BDT
These fan-assisted ovens are a damn nuisance!
I had one installed in the kitchen and now my wife is afraid to use it because it blows hot air at her through the door, along fumes and goodness know what. So she drapes towels over the front when the oven is in use to try to stop the gas escaping.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 20:22:49 BDT
Mr. J. Hazan says:
If gas is escaping call the gas board emmediatly

Posted on 17 May 2013 22:38:25 BDT
3 years later...!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 00:06:35 BDT
That, s plain silly, if it,s electric there is no gas or fumes, it,s just hot air. They all let out a bit of hot air, either from the front or the sides or the oven. There,s no harm in it, just hot air.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 00:15:28 BDT
Perhaps you overcook them, I have baked Christmas, wedding and fruit cakes in mine, never dry, moist and lovely. As a precaution against burning I always wrap the tin in a good layer of newspaper and if it starts to get a bit brown I cover it with damp grease proof paper but I have never had a dry cake. They are done when they stop singing and a skewer comes out without any sticky bits on it,cool in the tin. I have a MaryBerry recipe that I use and she soaks the fruit in sherry or juice for a couple of days beforehand, that is wonderfully moist when cooked. Do you use butter? Margarine contains a lot of water sometimes that evaporates when cooked. Do you lower the temperature by twenty degrees for fan cooking. I have used a fan oven for thirty years and I honestly do not know how you are getting a dry cake .???

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 09:00:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2013 09:01:20 BDT
Mr. J. Hazan says:
Better late than never J.

Posted on 18 May 2013 10:25:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2013 10:29:24 BDT
We do a lot of fruit cakes and 'boiled cakes', and they can need a long time to 'set'. So after the initial rise and browning we usually place another piece of cooking paper on top of the cake inside the tall-paper-lined sides of the tin at the time we turn down the oven (from 170C to 150C on the el-cheapo oven thermometer). Thereafter we test it regularly with a knife or skewer until that comes out clean.

The oven is usually in Fan mode, for the most even baking all around the cake. As I write there is one cooking for this afternoon, the dried fruit was soaked overnight in Earl Grey tea, <salivates>...

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 11:13:14 BDT
I did call the gas board immediately (twice!)
They found no trace, but my wife was still convinced that she could smell gas.
Perhaps we need to seal up the doors with sticky tape?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 12:31:55 BDT
lish says:
i repairs ovens ?your fan needs to run or your element would over heat that is a big fault on most ovens the FAN NOT WORKING ?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 14:32:58 BDT
No disrespect, buti think someone is just being daft, sticky tape??? I do hope you are not taking a rise.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 15:26:35 BDT
No, it is a serious problem! When the oven is on, my wife opens all the windows for ventilation, even in the coldest weather. I think her nose could detect one molecule of gas in a cubic metre of air - the result -panic! And what about all the carbon dioxide escaping from the oven?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 18:10:39 BDT
I'm going to assume that you're not taking the proverbial, I wasn't too sure at first.

Can I confirm that this is an actual gas oven? Most fan assisted ovens are electric, but I know that there's a smattering of gas ones on the market.

If you're being logical, gas can't escape out of a lit oven. Any gas is by definition consumed by the flame.

Is your oven new? Did you run it empty after installing it? If not, you're burning off chemical residues from manufacture. Most installation manuals specify for how long and at what temperature to do this. It's like buying a new kettle and needing to boil and discard a few times.

Another likely culprit is that you're burning off cleaning agents that have gotten behind the ventilation grill in front of the fan or on the element. It often has an "ozonish" scent.

Please don't do anything stupid with sticky tape unless you enjoy spending money. You'll mostly not be covered by any kind of warranty. A fan assisted oven is meant to expel hot air out the front.

Some have a "nil fan mode" for recipes that require a slowly falling oven temp. If your oven has this your wife might prefer cooking using this as she doesn't seem prepared to adapt to change. Otherwise, might I suggest gin, lots of gin?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (638 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  177
Total posts:  239
Initial post:  3 Dec 2010
Latest post:  18 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions