Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Curd Cheese - can I use anything as a substitute?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-182 of 182 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 10:10:43 BDT
chris gg says:
Regarding sugar and salt, I have to admit I'm definitely in the other camp Suzy. When you look at the number of people on blood pressure tablets and the huge rise in Type 2 diabetes, along with the vast amounts of unnecessary sugar and salt in peoples' diets mostly added during manufacture and processing, I think there is cause for concern. These days so many people buy ready made meals and have little control over the ingredients. Sugar in cans of peas and sweetcorn? Would you add sugar to home cooked peas or corn on the cob? Prawns boiled and glazed in brine...surely sea food has enough salt already. Bread contributes more salt than anything else in the average diet, which is one reason I make my own salt-free bread(and cheese)!

Posted on 31 May 2012 10:17:28 BDT
G OODFELLA says:
Hi Chris,

Whats the process you use for making your own cheese ?

regards,

k evin

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 12:21:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 May 2012 12:21:26 BDT
chris gg says:
Hi Kevin,
I used to use rennet to clot the milk, which was fiddly and unreliable. A year or two ago I was reading about the traditional way of making cottage cheese. It was a way of using up sour milk in the days before fridges. The souring process causes the curds and whey to separate. Heating("ripening") the soured milk(whole pasteurised) at 30-40C for a couple of hours(in my fan oven on very low) completes the separation into a firm curd which floats on the top of the whey. This can easily be scooped up and drained. Much easier to deal with than the sloppy curds produced by rennet. Breaking up or "milling" the curd gives something just like cottage cheese. The addition of a little yogurt to the milled curd can give a creamier consistency ideal for salads.
Then I built a homemade press for hard cheese and have been making small rounds of hard cheese regularly from the sour milk curd. I use a bottomless cocoa tin for the cheese mould and a wooden frame with weights on it. I've tried different ways of maturing the cheese, usually for at least a month. Sometimes it's softish and other times fairly hard, sometimes blue like stilton or covered in mould, sometimes not, depending on how I wrap the cheese and what I wrap it in. Still experimenting. The best flavour was when I let mould grow all over it. I'm currently experimenting with non-pressed camembert style soft cheese. I add some shop bought camembert to the curds to introduce the right moulds and cultures.

Posted on 31 May 2012 13:34:50 BDT
Kev,
Please go and play with Olga,
I promised Helgatta no more messing around on here!
x

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 14:42:34 BDT
I now wish to be known as Colin, Kev if you could do likewise it would save a lot of confusion, Oh you can also probably use J D Wetherspoons finest Lemons as a substitute ask Colin Prescott.
Regards
Colin

Posted on 31 May 2012 15:03:35 BDT
G OODFELLA says:
hi colin,

is colin any relation to john the famous dribbling zoo time performer?
whats your best cheese recipe ?

all the best colin

Posted on 31 May 2012 15:10:44 BDT
Dear Colin
My best Geese recipe is Canadian shot and not appearing on Zoo Time.
Cheers
Colin Collins
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (644 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
No knead bread.........???? 19 5 hours ago
Red Rice 22 5 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 7654 6 hours ago
New books! 6541 8 hours ago
Garlic crushers 81 8 hours ago
I want to pass on a tip... 851 8 hours ago
aaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! 1320 9 hours ago
gossip and general chat about all things 183 16 hours ago
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 260 1 day ago
leisure range cooker 3 2 days ago
recipes... 418 6 days ago
Grape molasses 28 11 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  182
Initial post:  25 Oct 2009
Latest post:  31 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions